Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My New '90 Loyale Wagon

Hmmm. I guess I'll try shifting at about 3250 RPM. Not gonna go up to 4K, as I feel that's too much. I'll probably go up to 3500 RPM max, as I don't wanna go any more. Well, I'll probably just do what the manual says.

P1090136.jpg

See, I've been basically following the shifting speeds on the right column, even for acceleration. You guys are telling me to do do what the left column says. Yeah, I'll try it. Just filled up my tank, so I'll shift how the manual and you guys say so and we'll see. Don't know about first gear, as it's got no power (compared to the other gears). :D I'll probably still shift to second at 2500 RPM (~15 MPH), but I'll follow the other shifting speeds/points. Looks like a 15 MPH shifting guide. Shift to second at 15, third at 30, fourth at 45, fifth at 55. Easy to remember. :-P

Edited by jj421

I glanced over it, since I thought it was cool seeing a 22-year-old manual. I think it'd be cool to scan the pages, put it in a PDF, and post it here for everyone's use. But I don't know if I legally can or if anyone would even use it. :D

just for the record, my old GL had 265,000 plus on the clock when she was retired due to pretty severe rust, and was still running great - probably would have made 300K easily, but she just wasnt safe to have on the road anymore.

Like I said, I did not drive like an old lady - it was much more fun to wind it up. :D (I also ran a Cherry Bomb, so she made a little noise when winding it up :brow: and no, I am not the "typical" female - LOL)

depending on how the car was driven previously, and how long you have been driving it like you have been - fuel mileage may go down slightly initially, while it cleans itself out - but if you keep at it, it should come back up.

Once had an old 1976 Plymouth Valiant that had never been driven over 45 mph by its previous owner - blew nasty black smoke for several days when getting over that speed, but the more it was driven the better it ran, and fuel mileage dramatically increased once it was cleaned out good.

also, make sure your tires are properly inflated at all times (seems to me I ran between 32-35 psi in mine, all 4 the same), and fluids are always topped off (oil & coolant). Tires themselves, and the rubber compound they are made of, can make a big difference in mileage - a softer, "stickier" tire will bring mileage down - more rolling resistance, while a harder, less "sticky" compound will bring it up - less rolling resistance.

What I do is check the door tag for "recommended" tire psi, then check the tire for the "max" psi cold - then pick a number roughly halfway between those two and inflate to that pressure. I get good tire wear, and good fuel mileage that way.

Oh and the listing in the manual - more a basic guideline, than "hard & fast" rules - everyone has their own style.

But yeah, dont often see a 20+ yr old car with the manual still in the glovebox! heck, finding a 10 yr old car with the manual is rare!

Edited by heartless