Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Buggy

ivans imports

ran wicked no misses no broke pistons runs better now than day one ran the nos no problems was fast on the tough truck course got some good air broke 3 axles and welded first gear got 3rd fastest time trough pitts thiss pitt was realy deep pushed mud with engine the whole way and compteatly sumerged it in mud still works good the engine held together well enuff to break evrything else so must be good

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so this is somting iv'e never seen before the teflon coating in the trany pan seperated and got sucked into filter and restricted the flow wreaking the clutches anyone seen thiss before ? was very odd mabee got to hot anyway new clutches and fillter and put in the stronger forward pack out of outback trans and the high drum and a custom built 4500 rpm high stall will try it today and see how it works now

well it works snaped my rear right axle on the launch and did a sidways pass was a bitt harry but engine held up good and got 3 good pases in the buggy comes of the line way harder lanuched at 3500 rpms instead of 2100 rpms got into the boost way faster and stayed on top works way better with a good trans

so had two broke pistons the other one took a race to show up was hurt but not broke started ratting and smoking on #3 hole comp is good still but piston is hurt will change it out today and see if stops smoken 2 forged and two stock pistons on oppeset side thiss should balance good yikes oh well just two more races to go hang in there poor old 2.51

crazy the uper ring land lifted up and was contacting the cly head made a sound like a rod but not a rod so two dead forged wiscos and some dents in the head so two wiscos on 2@4 and two stock sti pistons on 1@3 balance no way tough oh ya will no mercy run it agian thiss weekend at least it will have all 4 agian

well that fixed it holy crap cant hold it back anymore runs smotther than ever did vacume came up i also changed the header pipe for a stock one to try and trap more heat seems to work way better and geting way more heat out of the pipe tore the rear axle apart testing it up my street shearded the shaft clean off then the oppeset tire turns to smoke and sideways she gos good sign its maken power off to the races subaru 2.5 v.s 517 dart or 440 dodge or 383 stroker or the 454 all on nos well if your going to play with the big boys better bring a subaru :headbang:

so i rebuilt my toyota 4 piston calipers and moved the peadal ratio and put on a smaller master to help hold it back at stall it only has rear brakes so now i can hold it at the line at 3500 rpm stall is all the brakes can do to hold it back it gets angry the front lifts right up and the back drops almost to the ground jumps out of the hole was getting it to pull the front wheels off the ground on the tests in front of my house see how she do's thiss weekend

we dialed the nos down to a 50 shot was making good times untill got boged down and loaded when got loaded the # 1 piston cracked and pices got on top of # 3 and smashed plug changed plug and she still ran but has piston damage agian so the delma is how to get anuther 300 hp out of what i have the cars in my class are making around 500-1000 hp and for me to get on top i need at least 400-600 hp right now i'm 300 at best need some ideas on what to do next lighter longer more hp i have my lanch perfect traction is perfect suspention is good just need more motor or managment anyone whant to sponser me a race motor

So thiss is the ten year power plant list for buggy started with a ea81 carbed whent to ea81 turbo with Su draw through then whet to 2.2 na engine with turbo then a 2.2 turbo engine with twin cam heads then a 2.5 with roller 2.2 heads turbo then a 2.7 xt six with turbo then a 3.0 six with turbo then a 2.5 with twincam heads and turbo then back to 2.5 with 2.2 turbo heads and finaly a 2.5 with forged turbo pistons and 2.5 shoc heads that i a'm running now anyway have broken the pistons in evryone of theese engines even without nos on every one the pistons were the only problem with them nothing esle ever fails just pistons

Did the carbed ea81 break the pistons too or just all the boosted motors? Running lean and running to much ignition advance on too low octane fuel causes busted pistons. Water/meth can help with that for cheap and be used with nitrous. Spray it in the outlet of the intercooler so that it has time to be fully dispersed by the time it hits the throttle body and intake plenum. Or do port injection, one jet in each intake runner. More likely to clog though because you're running 4 tiny jets instead of one big one.

Start playing with water/meth and you'll be surprised how much power you can make for dirt cheap. I use -20 or -30 winter grade blue windshield washer fluid. 9.6:1 compression, 12.5psi out of a non-intercooled roots supercharger and no tune. Runs on premium pump gas. Stock engine with forged nothing.

Edited by WoodsWagon

yeah, i agree. you sound like you should be making more power with your current setup with proper engine management... and you also sound like you are having serious detonation issues. ive seen much more power put out of those motors than 300hp and when they failed, it was never pistons breaking or burning up, maybe a loss in ring seal, but never breakage.

maybe a real dyno tune on an AEM standalone, meth/water injection kit, and a redundant fuel pump for the nitrous on a wet 100 shot (fuel and nos), and possibly an intercooler if you dont have one already. the best part about real engine management is that the nitrous and fuel and meth/water sprayer solenoids can all be controlled by the ecu, and safeguards can be put in place to curb detonation via knock sensors and AFR monitoring.

Edited by maozebong

the ea81 su carbed turbo was the lightest and simplest and made good times butt pistons broke was a neat setup realy simple. anyway i have the water meth setup puting it on today it whould be nice to have a stand alone feul seyestem but have no supplyers here for that just lordco and min 1200$ for engine management my ecu and harness is from a 91 legacy 2.2 five speed i know its not the best for turbo but is the simplest one i use no intercooler because it turns into a bomb have had some nasty intercooler blowups I a'm cocerned about the nos turning the water meth to ice and could that hurt the engine anyway have 3 days to get ready and race took 25 lbs off the tires and almost 200 lbs off buggy hope lighter is faster

why not look into a universal EMS. you are most certainly competent enough to run the universal wiring set, configure the various sensors to the EMS, and it could be reconfigured to every engine setup you would ever want to run, even if you changed to 6 or 8 cyl.

i whould like a good stand alone injecton seystem but not in budjet for thiss year i managed to remove alot of weight have been weighing the removed materail to get idea of total weight removed is slowly ading up i will put the water sprayer in but only have a spot right in front of or behind the nos sprayer is very short pipe from turbo to tb and not mutch room for jets hope it dosent cause problem i wish had a test track for it hard to get it into the boost trying it up my road dyno whoud be nice

It worked unreal made hudge power did a 39 second run at rev limiter full nos and a # 3 water meth sprayer was night and day the pitts were very deep was deeper than my wheels i beat the 454 and the 440 but couldent catch the 517 or the 383 both over 900 hp came in 3rd in B class makes me 3rd over all was crazy to see how mutch diferance the water meth made I'm a beliver now the buggy engine never ran like that before every run was long and had to realy work the engine but came home running on all 4 and smother and more vacume than ever water meth makes me very happy even without the nos on is a noticabble differance probly 10-15 % more before the nos was defanatnly making more power !

well race seasons over so no need to be nice to it anymore i cant wait to take it out in snow for a play or back to the beach in burton i dont know if my little wrx turbo can boost more than 15 psi but can try and have a #5 jet for water meth and a # 28 for nos and a # 38 for feul should make for fun playing one of my rear air struts is blown and the rear wheel is bent out 3 inchs from deep hole contest so some repairs are in order but got in every single pass all season no dnfs and still has all 4 cly