Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Changing from electronic to mechanical

junkfxr

I have an 89 DL that I bought for a parts car that has a good EA82 engine in it. I have used all of the parts that I needed from it and now want to use the engine for a stand alone DC generator at a remote off grid site. I want to convert it over to a mechanical engine, carburetor and points. Putting a carburetor in place of the throttle body is no big deal but the computer controlled ignition has me stumped. Does anybody know of a points type distributor that will fit this engine? Thanks in advance for any help.

if you find a carb motor, swap the whole carb intake and the distributor. look at 85-and 86 gl/dl

the engine you have has more compression than a carb model. It is really simple. 85-86 and some 87 have carbs with mechanical distys

if you find a carb motor, swap the whole carb intake and the distributor. look at 85-and 86 gl/dl

the engine you have has more compression than a carb model. It is really simple. 85-86 and some 87 have carbs with mechanical distys

save the headlight assemblies and bezels as those are hot sellers. I am interested in a set myself, but i need $$$

Are the distributors from 85-86 with the electronic pick ups just a single wire hook up? I'm trying to keep the KISS principal going as this will be in a very remote location and will need to be maintained with minimal effort and tools.

Carb distributors are two wire - one to each terminal of the coil. Power for the pickup, and the signal wire to fire the coil.

GD

Thank you. I'm going to show some real ignorance here, all because I'm not very well aquainted with Subarus, yet. I'm assuming that the wires go to the specific terminals on the coil, color coded I would think. The power for the pick up goes to the + side and the signal goes to the - terminal?