Ultimate Subaru Message Board

DeltaCams XT6 Dyno results

You can see it all here:

XT6 DeltaCams Dyno Runs

It's a long post and I'm too lazy to post it all here. I lost a good deal of hp/torque with just installation. I had to add fuel and ignition and still couldn't match the torque of my stock cams. I gained a little on the top end. I wouldn't recommend it for AWD'ers but I asked for a cam grind where I'd gain some power after 5300rpm. That's what I got. Suggestions, comments, insults are all welcome. Well...maybe not the insults. :drunk:

I am posting the very last graph I posted from that site (there are several graphs with explanation of runs). For the vision impaired, the Red line is before the cams were installed, the Blue line was after the cams were installed and the Green line was after adding fuel and timing.

mini-overall.jpg

I also notices not much increase at all, maybe 2~5 hp over stock with the Delta cams, the 677-260 grind, in the DL....which is non turbo. On the otherhand, the RX screamed to no end with those cams. One word: TURBO.

WJM, You put a cam, ground to spec for a turbo on a non-turbo car?

If you did, you are not going to see any gains at all.

Is that really what you did?

Jay

Scott, Ovaling the for cams sprocket holes sounds intriguing. Please elaborate.

Good luck on tracking down the hp, Myx.

The problem with a turbo cam is that there is (or should be) less overlap than a N/A cam as well as duration differences.

The holes on a cam pully can be converted to slots by a machine shop so that the three bolts can be loosened and the cam timing can be changed. This is sort of a single setting Vtec in a way. You can optimise the cam (even a stock cam) for different usages and RPM ranges. It is a very simple modification.

Just do a search on yahoo or google for adjustable cam timing pulley and you will get hundreds of examples and explainations.

Originally posted by Meeky Moose

hmm whys that only run up to 6k rpms? my old xt6 automatic would hold the gear in D until 7k.... me thinks your missing 1k of rpm range too..

I could show you the shifts from 1st gear all they way up to 3rd gear so you can see exactly where the car is shifting. I know in Power Mode (which it was in on all dyno runs) my XT6 shifted at approximately 6200rpm but it didn't do this all the time.

Also, redline is at 6500 in an XT6 auto. If your car shifted at 7k, then it was shifting past redline.

Another thing, look at this dyno of me testing the ProECM Powerchip vs without having one.

mini-proecmvshp.jpg

If the car shifted at 7k rpm, it would actually be slower. There's no power up there, hence me getting the cams. :( If your car still had power up there, perhaps mine is sick internally.

hmm coulda swore my redline was 7k... mine was also 2wd auto..

benebob could tell ya, he's got me old car now.. wherever redline was, it would hold it until it hit it, then shift..

mine also did not have a power mode, (i don't recall it anyways)

and pulled hard until it shifted at redline..

i do know my xt6 was significantly faster than the same year of fulltime 4wd 5-speed.. (raced one once and blew him away by about 2 car lengths, lol)