Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Mock up in solid works, Subaru R160 Locker

Prwa101

Just use a little caution. If you make a dozen or so of them I'm sure it won't be a problem, but if you go into production and start selling them commercially I wouldn't be surprised if you get hassled.

A detroit can't be assembled in place in a one piece carrier like a powertrax can. That's the benifit of lunchbox lockers, you re-use the guts of the diff and just replace the spider gears.

I hope you get this going, I've wanted an R160 locker for a while.

-Bill

Me too! I'm a pretty modavated 20 year old, after my classes in solid works I stay and draw and learn the program for hours after everyone else has left. And I'm not a normal high school guy, homeschool all the way! Other than community collage at 15. :) If anyone is going to do it, it's me.

I started drawing random gears the other day to figure out how to angle them, I actually stumped the teacher and then surpassed him and made one way Easyer and better than him. :burnout:

That Powertrax should be there in 2 days....it was cheaper to squeeze it into a priority mail small flat rate box for $5.35. Counter woman said otherwise it would have been $19.90 because of the weight!:eek:

That Powertrax should be there in 2 days....it was cheaper to squeeze it into a priority mail small flat rate box for $5.35. Counter woman said otherwise it would have been $19.90 because of the weight!:eek:

dang!! that sounds awesome though:D!!! did you want me to paypal you 6$?

dang!! that sounds awesome though:D!!! did you want me to paypal you 6$?

Naw, this one's on the house. I'll be listing some other parts in the classified & hopefully what I've done here will convince some of my good intentions.:D

Naw, this one's on the house. I'll be listing some other parts in the classified & hopefully what I've done here will convince some of my good intentions.:D

haha thanks a lot guy! i bet it will! :D

+1 for czny!!!

haha nope dont have assess to one of thous, but digie calipers worked really good!!!! drew this up in an hour or so, from the dimensions i got from the one side. NOT TO SUBARU SPEC YET, still working on getting a r10 diff, hopefully picking it up Thursday :Flame:

pretty darn accurate if i might say.

545127_3522743466303_1203579286_32538395_207032046_n.jpg

haha nope dont have assess to one of thous, but digie calipers worked really good!!!!

pretty darn accurate if i might say.

I don't think digital calipers are accurate enough, especially if you are planning on eventually selling these. If you are taking classes at Mount Hood you could probably go over to Clackamas CC and use their optical comparator. Get a hold of Bob Delgatto there, he's super cool and helpful.

Good to know!

I know its pretty on when it rounds to a whole number and not to a bunch of random didgets. Prolly when I get to the full deal on the Subaru locker I'll talk to him. also it's not going Have the same amount of teeth seeing at the r160 is way smaller, so it's going to need its own custom dimentions. Which I'll have to figure out my self.

Getting the r160 diff Thursday! :D

Thanks guy!

-Prwa

When you get to the design of the springs & pins to hold the clutch faces to the side pieces(the parts the splined axles stubs mate to) I'd suggest taking a page from the Spartan lockers - they're much stronger.

This lock-wrong allowed the c-clip axles to move inward hitting the cross-pin thru the carrier. Didn't like that feature much.

For the R160 with stubs could make 2 tapered nuts to fit inside the side clutches, interference taper fit to the inside so as not to spin when tightening the stubs.

The assembly check for the space between the center clutches I believe was .140-.170" on the lock-wrong, IIRC.

Carry the same ideas over to the front diff, allowing either 23 or 25 spline stubs - or stubbed axles.:brow:

Edited by czny

Thanks - looks like you are coming along with your design. I know a thing or two about machining and I know people that know even more than I do. When/if we get to building these I would love to help out with sourcing parts, assembly, and logistics, etc. I know how to get stuff done...

GD

Thanks - looks like you are coming along with your design. I know a thing or two about machining and I know people that know even more than I do. When/if we get to building these I would love to help out with sourcing parts, assembly, and logistics, etc. I know how to get stuff done...

GD

Awsome! I figured you'd say that! Yeah When I get there I'll be giving you call for sure! And I know for a fact that you and mike are on top of the list for a locker, replacing your guys cracking welded diff. Haha. :)

I love your guyss set up there in milwalki! If you ever need another hand in the shop, let me know! :banana:

Thanks agin!!

-Prwa

Edited by Prwa101

WELL......

578176_3564795317573_1203579286_32556475_1714343853_n.jpg

this is what i got done today!.... i feel like this :banghead::horse: haha.

lots and lots of angles and fun freeking stuff... should go easyer now that i have one part done. what took me the longest was figuring out the teeth on there... i wanted to keep them some what the same size as the powertracx but still ended up making them larger to fit perfect with the mate side. also had to cut down the number of teeth to 12 due to the teeth being to small if i shrunk it..

time for some of this :drunk:

When you get to the design of the springs & pins to hold the clutch faces to the side pieces(the parts the splined axles stubs mate to) I'd suggest taking a page from the Spartan lockers - they're much stronger.

This lock-wrong allowed the c-clip axles to move inward hitting the cross-pin thru the carrier. Didn't like that feature much.

For the R160 with stubs could make 2 tapered nuts to fit inside the side clutches, interference taper fit to the inside so as not to spin when tightening the stubs.

The assembly check for the space between the center clutches I believe was .140-.170" on the lock-wrong, IIRC.

Carry the same ideas over to the front diff, allowing either 23 or 25 spline stubs - or stubbed axles.:brow:

Getting ready to do the spring/pin holes. Now in the spartan locker, they use a cup type pin that the spring sits in, is that what you talking about? :)

Refuting to this 579826_3565684099792_1203579286_32557081_87636494_n.jpg?dl=1

And how the Center chunk it dosnt actually sit all the way in it it's kinda hallowed outward.

Edited by Prwa101