Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Mock up in solid works, Subaru R160 Locker

Prwa101

It's simmaler to the spartan air locker and it will bult in to your r160 diff.

So to clarify, auto locker (unlocker techicnally)? From my reading of this thread I'm under the impression this is an auto unlocker setup over a manual locker - air, cable whatever.

Am I on the right path here?

Cheers

Bennie

So to clarify, auto locker (unlocker techicnally)? From my reading of this thread I'm under the impression this is an auto unlocker setup over a manual locker - air, cable whatever.

Cheers

Bennie

Precisely. It is an auot-unlocker. I ran a Lock-Right for 16 yrs in my old Chevy PU. Now running a Spartan which is stronger. These have their driving quirks when things get loose on wet pavement, but they're fine for light offroading(in a heavier vehicle).

if you need any test pilots I would be interested ;) I'm in Australia is that makes any difference. Keep us posted! Cheers, mate!

haha well if i were to let our prototypes to people i would keep them in Oregon, so i can keep a close eye on them, ill prolly end up running it in my rig though. haha

Bennie

haha yeah your on the right path, in my locker there is no manual lock, its all done automatically by force and compression. :grin: watch the vids that are one here and itll show you exactuilly haves going on.

well........... all of this looks good... other than a miss calculation on the size.. and everything is to thick to fit... so ive been fixing that error all morning.. shes RE printing now... the outer clutches fit perfect though!! lol

little this...... :horse::horse::horse::horse:

and for sure some of this.......... :banghead::banghead::banghead:

292566_3637467894342_1772261757_n.jpg

178956_3637466294302_1373860572_n.jpg

Now that's looking great. Good work! How soon till you click "print" in metal do you think?

Haha print in metal! Hmm well after I get the prototype all sized in right, which will be before the end of the term which it, 3weeks left. Couple be anywhere between 2-4 weeks HOPFULLY have a finished metal product to run! :D prolly a month though, Homework is killing me right now.. Going to be calling around SOON!

My teacher told me of a place in canby that can make anything.

Thanks guys! She's coming along real well! It'll be put togeather Thursday, (if nothing else goes wrong)! Haha.

For the size we have, which prints on a 1'x1' square, will run you atleast 35,000$ in the states. Yeah Belive me it's pretty awsome set up! Took 10hrs to print that one out! Haha. Not bad :)

I've made so much stuff with it do far! Including, ac bracket that works on the car now! Ej22 addaptor plate, and the 4" strut bracket for my lift that will be make into steel after school is over :D

Random Question. Will I break cv's if I weld the diff on a l series subaru wagon? Cheers

I personly havnt ran a welded diff, but I know people who have ran them on ea81's and havnt had any problem. And the ea81 axels are easy stuff to break. It'll just wear your rear tires going around corners. And a good note, if other people are doing it, it's should be fine. Kinda like jumping off a bridge :D

But your best bet would be to wait till I have my locker done, and buy one from me! :brow:

-Prwa.

dude.... it fits... but still the teeth were to small so it was taking up more space, and the pin holder holes were to large... printing another one out now! its getting pretty diled in now!! :banana:

man it looks damn good in that diff!!! :banana:

i guess now i can kinda say that ive sucsessfuly created a Locker for the R160 :drunk:

600844_3648456249044_157831728_n.jpg

off topic, mostly, but, I think there could be a market for the cap that goes on the bottom of Legacy fuel pumps in the 2000-2004 year range (I think) if it could be modeled and made. Folks are paying $50 for used pumps on ebay just to get that cap. maybe some could be made in delrin or ????

it's happening a lot - mostly to the H6es. No telling how many folks have been sold $300 or more FP assemblies just because that cap failed.

check here;

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/66-problems-maintenance/45273-does-2003-outback-h6-fuel-pump-prime-when-key-os-turned.html

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/110-gen-2-2000-2004/41182-symptoms-fuel-pump-o-ring-problem.html

off topic, mostly, but, I think there could be a market for the cap that goes on the bottom of Legacy fuel pumps in the 2000-2004 year range (I think) if it could be modeled and made. Folks are paying $50 for used pumps on ebay just to get that cap. maybe some could be made in delrin or ????

it's happening a lot - mostly to the H6es. No telling how many folks have been sold $300 or more FP assemblies just because that cap failed.

check here;

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/66-problems-maintenance/45273-does-2003-outback-h6-fuel-pump-prime-when-key-os-turned.html

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/110-gen-2-2000-2004/41182-symptoms-fuel-pump-o-ring-problem.html

very good point you have there!! well sounds like another project!! :Flame:

WELL!!!! shes damn near done! one more small dimmention!! NOW to the real Bizz i need to get this pattented FAST ASAP or at least get the proses going so i dont have any one else Copy me and pattent it before i get it done.

any one know how the proses works?? who to talk to? how to get this done fast??

WELL!!!! shes damn near done! one more small dimmention!! NOW to the real Bizz i need to get this pattented FAST ASAP or at least get the proses going so i dont have any one else Copy me and pattent it before i get it done.

I wouldn't get to "legit" about this project....you'll likely get sued and told to cease any production. If you just make them and sell a few here through the board you may go under the radar.

I think pursueing a patent could be trouble.

A)You didn't invent anything proprietary.

B)In fact, you may have stolen already patented designs.

NOW to the real Bizz i need to get this pattented FAST ASAP or at least get the proses going so i dont have any one else Copy me and pattent it before i get it done.

You reverse engineered a patented design. I think that's going to be a bit difficult to claim as your own idea and patent, seeing as how you copied it. You may also draw the attention of the companies that do hold valid patents on the design by trying and they'll nail you for patent infringement.

No one is going to copy you, the market for a r160 locker is tiny. If it was a market worth tapping into, the companies that already manufacture the lockers would have. Here's a guy who tried asking them to do just that: http://www.ausubaru.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19545

Edit:

Here's one patent you violated for the double hole into the pin well design:

http://patents.justia.com/1995/05413015.html

I found that because it was referenced in a suit between Powertrax and TracTech.

Tread carefully.

Edited by WoodsWagon

NOW to the real Bizz i need to get this pattented FAST ASAP or at least get the proses going so i dont have any one else Copy me and pattent it before i get it done.

You reverse engineered a patented design. I think that's going to be a bit difficult to claim as your own idea and patent, seeing as how you copied it. You may also draw the attention of the companies that do hold valid patents on the design by trying and they'll nail you for patent infringement.

No one is going to copy you, the market for a r160 locker is tiny. If it was a market worth tapping into, the companies that already manufacture the lockers would have. Here's a guy who tried asking them to do just that: http://www.ausubaru.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19545

You guys bring up a very good points! And yeah I pretty much, did copy and just te size it... ************... Yeah that link to the patent for It kills it... Hmmmm

WELL UNDER THE TABLE SOUNDS FINE TO ME ;) haha.

Looks like patent isn't the way to go right now. Thanks guys! Saved me from wasting a load of money just to get sued! Haha

UPDATE:

The full design will be finished in the next two weeks. Then will be made and tested in my rig. Schools crunching down on me now...

any one know how the proses works?? who to talk to? how to get this done fast??

http://www.uspto.gov/

^^What they said.

For future reference if you want to patent something you will need a working prototype. You will need to hire a patent attorney. There is no way to make it happen fast. At a minimum it will cost approximately $5,000.

There is a book called "How to Patent it Yourself", but I think it is better used to educate yourself before hiring a patent attorney.

Getting a patent these days is a rather arduous process, and there are so many patents out there now that review takes a very long time and chances are that someone may have a similar idea already patented.

As far as patent infringement on what you have done already, you might want to get one built and tested until it's worthy, then post or offer the program file to anyone for free. Then you are not selling a product. Anyone can make a one-off from your program and if they want to hire you to make one for them, then you are providing services instead of a product.;)

I love the locker idea...

however i dont think you can patent something, when you have a picture of the one that you copied, sitting right next to the one that you printed...

Im with Gloyale. build them and sale them. but if you try to patent you will most likely get sued by one of the many companies that make lockers. you did not invent the locker. you simply re sized it and made it fit into an R160 rear diff.

just because it goes into a Subaru diff, does not make it a different project/patent.

not trying to shoot down your project, i'm sure you can sale many of them. but i would not be worried about someone steeling "your" idea. If the market was big enough, many companies with lots more money and resources than any of us have, would be making them already.

-=Suberdave=-

http://www.suberdave.com