Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Mock up in solid works, Subaru R160 Locker

Prwa101

For sure guys! looks like my FA is going to pay for my certification in machining! im stoked! so far one term down! im already starting to make a name for my self :brow: i always ask the weird questions that have nothing to do with class topic that obtain to the locker hahah :D looks like im getting all A's too!

Once i get mine done, and working right. ill make a list, who ever has posted have first dibs!

My plan so far is open my own show with tools my grandfather has in his old shop, 1902 ACME lathe mmmmm..... i love the machine shop!

Patrick- AAE

They sound too rich for my blood, but maybe when I graduate with a BS in electrical engineering next summer I'll have a little more scratch to flow. :-) I'd guess you'd need a 45* fixture plate and a dividing head or rotary table with a mill to make those center lockers manually. It'd probably be cheaper in terms of dollar value for your time to have them, or at least the sprockets, made. The clamshells wouldn't be too bad, just kind of a pain to fixture in a manual mill. I'd probably recommend making soft jaws if you want to do even limited production. Just my thoughts from the SolidWorks drawings and 3D printed models you showed.

Keep asking weird questions though!

Craig

Just cast it all out of iron! :D

Being that these are essentially mechanical clutches with teeth like gears, they need to have a tough core. Alloy steels for these lockers are 9310 & 8620, which are then case hardened.

I'm still working toward getting my overcrowded garage into some sort of order so as to help make a prototype or two. I have all the essential machinery & tools:

horizontal & vertical bandsaws, drill press,bench lathe, horizontal/vertical mill, super spacer, tool & cutter grinder, small heat treat furnace & even a hardness tester. And surface plate for checking.

What I don't have is the working phase converter to power some of these machines. And space to do the layout work. At least not yet.

Edited by czny
more info

One thing to consider is that it might be easier to just fabricate locking hubs. That way we could just weld our diffs. Also, it'd mean we could run RWD if we so desired. :D

I've been thinking about that as well, the only thing though is the hubs, they would have to be re done, so the axel shaft/splines can spin inside it, untill you turn the lock locking them in. So I'd have to re design subaru hubs for the locking hub set up. And the rear would have to be disks, because doing drums would be a pain haha... Although, in this I could add 6 lug alike it should be ;) haha. I'll see what I can do, I'll start some drawings :brow:

Indeed, and I'm pretty sure we all are wanting to migrate to discs anyway, I know I am. But considering how difficult it is to engineer and build a good locking diff that is strong AND affordable, might be easier to go the locking hub route.

For one thing, I believe it could be designed so that the same hub would fit on both front and back wheels. Also, one could probably modify an existing locking hub or make an adapter for one to fit the subaru spline and wheel mounting surface. The only problem I foresee is that Subaru had to be weird and give our cars these bizarre knuckles with double bearings that support the whole assembly. I've often theorized about using the front hubs off of a Toyota pickup and then frankensteining the Toyota CV axle to the Subaru CV axle. That gives us our precious 6-lug hubs, and also adds the potential for rear wheel steering! :D

Food for thought on the locking hubs. looking over Rockford cv's online catalogs show that the Isuzu trooper and Subaru Loyale share the same outer cv race. so if you had a knuckle you could mount the Isuzu hardware to you'd be in business.

No kidding? That's a good idea! And don't Isuzu's use the same 6-lug pattern?

Yes, Isuzus do use the same 6x5.5" pattern.

So do the 83-85 Nissan 720 PUs. The cv shafts on these are much thicker.

Looking into hybrid Nissan/Subaru hubs for locking fronts, Nissan stubs for rear.

Edit: Because these lockers work so well, I for one would really like to see some made for the R160 diff.

Maybe even one for the 3.90 R200 like in 83-85 Nissan 280zx diffs for offroading with IFS/IRS suspension.:brow:

Keep the good work prwa101!:)

Edited by czny
correction

• 2 months later...

What's going on with this??

Was one ever completed?

-garrett

Still working at it, havnt had time in the shop to start it... This next term I'm goin to have some down time because I'm going through all the class projects like cake. Hoping to get into an actual job working in a shop soon so I can work on it more.

Still a work on progress... Ready to be done with school and start my own shop if I had the money....

I'll keep you guys posted! Learning how to case harden this term!

-Prwa

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Bump.  Any progress?

I made friends with a local guy who has his own personal junkyard of sorts.  I don't think he had any Nissans, but he did have two 80s Toyota 4x4s, one with IFS and one with a solid axle.  I might see if he'll let me borrow the IFS to see if there's any way I could frankenstein it for Subaru use.  Actually... the first thing I should check is which way the driveshaft rotates.  If I flip it around and it's the same as a Subaru, I could mount up the whole thing behind my car, then it's just a matter of finding a matching gear ratio, and I'd have plenty of choices for a locker.  If not, maybe I can attach the control arms to my Sooby and frankenstein some CV axles.

I might see if he'll let me borrow the IFS to see if there's any way I could frankenstein it for Subaru use.  Actually... the first thing I should check is which way the driveshaft rotates.  If I flip it around and it's the same as a Subaru, I could mount up the whole thing behind my car, then it's just a matter of finding a matching gear ratio, and I'd have plenty of choices for a locker.  If not, maybe I can attach the control arms to my Sooby and frankenstein some CV axles.

It will rotate the correct way.  The IFS diff in the toyotas effectively runs backwards to what the gears are cut for - I can't remember the technical term is for this.  Anyway it can work, the hardest part will be working out how to attach the rear drive shafts and how to make them shorter and still have the full movement of the rear suspension.  

The long shaft of the IFS is removed, 6mm shaved off it's mounting face and then you'll be able to fit a matching oil seal and output shaft that's used on the other side from factory.  I've done the research on this, just haven't had the time to play with it.  Once this is sorted out there are a range of diff ratios available from factory and aftermarket, and the lockers... well, that's the aim of the whole thing!

Mounting it in the rear wouldn't be hard to work out, lengthen the prop shaft and you're sorted.  I've thought about this combination for quite some time, even have an IFS yota diff in the shed to play with that I've not had time for :(

Sorry for the hijack!

Cheers

Bennie

• 1 month later...

Been busy working, going to school, moving, and getting married... Haven't done much... Not enough funds and equipment.... Other than finding out that cutting the splines are going to cost to much time and money. So I'm trying to find out a way to use the outer section and make the inter around the exhausting outer.

-Prwa

Edited by Prwa101

• 1 month later...

Well, i was sitting in work a week ago thinking about the locker agin... and i came up with a new design utilizing the existing outer gear in the r160 diff (so i don't have to cut splines nor pay out the Yingyang to have them cut.) just cut it down to size and spec. Still in prelim design stage, but its looking like this will be more possible than the other one, due to the spline cutting and cost issue..

Just thought id give you guys some hope!

happy wheeling

PRWA

Edited by Prwa101

Well, i was sitting in work a week ago thinking about the locker agin... and i came up with a new design utilizing the existing outer gear in the r160 diff (so i don't have to cut splines nor pay out the Yingyang to have them cut.) just cut it down to size and spec. Still in prelim design stage, but its looking like this will be more possible than the other one, due to the spline cutting and cost issue..

Just thought id give you guys some hope!

happy wheeling

PRWA

Isn't that how the existing lunchbox lockers for other makes do it anyway?

Isn't that how the existing lunchbox lockers for other makes do it anyway?

If your talking about the same thing I'm thinking about no. Detroit locker, powertrax, spartan and so on all come with new parts to replace your exsisting gears in your diff, all new parts.

• 1 year later...