Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Mock up in solid works, Subaru R160 Locker

Prwa101

Are you gona make one for the front diff welding the rear diff is cheap and easy but there aren't any cheap lsds or locker set ips for the front one of these would efin rock

Prolly will once i get a working prototype of the rear. Welding is cheap but will kill your axels if you run them both in, and if you dont youll have to put one in when you wheel. The front will be my next project after i finish the rear. but i think doing this will require more than just a locker, locking hubs would prolly be requierd. Thats a lot of stress to be put ont he front axels seeing as this is the weakst link in the older subarus. not even including the gears in the ea tranny

Patrick

• Like 2

• 7 months later...

It would most likely be too small (weak) for RWD datsuns. They seem to just upgrade to the R180 or 200.

$$$$ is what stopped me.

The problem is the setup cost would only be regained once you've sold more than 100 units. And at the price you would need to sell them you really would struggle to find 100 people willing to pay.

How much would production be at this point? Also, have you thought of like maybe trying to license the design through a locker company? I feel like you could potentially patent, you only have to change the design 10% (I don't know how that's measured). Someone on here has to be a lawyer

I looked into patenting, was going to cost $20k plus for a decently prepared patent that is unlikely to be worked around and avoided when copying. And that's only a patent for one country, you have to get it for every country you wish to sell the product in...

I looked into patenting, was going to cost $20k plus for a decently prepared patent that is unlikely to be worked around and avoided when copying. And that's only a patent for one country, you have to get it for every country you wish to sell the product in...

Remind me never to come up with something. That's ridiculously expensive

And don't you aussies have lockers for it already, although extremely rare?

I've only ever known of two cars with the Detroit locker, never seen one in person.

In not going to put something I spent 40+hours designing on thingiverse, sorry. Of course if there was no chance of making money off of it I would, but it's still on the back burner and not in the junk bin yet.

Even if you do all the patenting they can still just go copy it in China and drop ship it to every where (illegally but they get away with it). There is no copy right laws in China

Um - I'd stop dreaming - its never going to happen .. :P

Were all pirates & thieves at heart and will do whatever it takes to get one either way - legal or otherwise ... ;)

Where I'm heading with this is : Get an old one scanned ( or scale an alternate version it to fit an R180 ) & post it up on the web for every one to share ... :ph34r: ...Then peep's can print parts out as they need in losses wax, take the moulds to a local foundary & get all the bits casted for it ... boom you're done ... B) ... ( Metal printing is still in its infancy, but will get there eventually, if you can wait that is ) Shouldn't cost any more than getting the metal together for a cast ( could re-use bits from your old diff ).

Cheers, Bantum ...

Um - I'd stop dreaming - its never going to happen .. :P

Were all pirates & thieves at heart and will do whatever it takes to get one either way - legal or otherwise ... ;)

Where I'm heading with this is : Get an old one scanned ( or scale an alternate version it to fit an R180 ) & post it up on the web for every one to share ... :ph34r: ...Then peep's can print parts out as they need in losses wax, take the moulds to a local foundary & get all the bits casted for it ... boom you're done ... B) ... ( Metal printing is still in its infancy, but will get there eventually, if you can wait that is ) Shouldn't cost any more than getting the metal together for a cast ( could re-use bits from your old diff ).

Cheers, Bantum ...

Arb makes a air locker for the r180. $1200 US dollars though. Would rather have a wagon

The steel you would need to make this out of is very high carbon with case hardening... Highly doubt you could just cast one... To machine it you need a lathe, 5 axis mill, spline cutter and to make it affordable they all need to be CNC.

Printing stuff, although it sounds like the be all and end all, is very limited in use.

Arb makes a air locker for the r180. $1200 US dollars though. Would rather have a wagon

That should read "ARB made an air locker for the R180 and it was discontinued back before 2007"

Edit: I stand corrected. It looks as though it's been brought back into production. Still too much money for a Subaru, and plenty of screwing around.

Edited by Phizinza

Haha USMB has been getting slow hard to access it. Anyways I have a full 3d PVC model of it. I got a quote for the first prototype. Cost to much for me At that time. Getting to a place where I should have the money for the first but who knows.

As far as letting it out for people to use. Already had people ask. Answer is no lol I've got months of work into to let someone else with money produce it.

Lot of this has already been discussed on this thread. Lol.

Hopefully if I get this going and make a few they won't be as spendy as arb's. As far as other company's there looking for money. The r160 is a small fraction of the really market (Toyota, Nissan, Chevy ford.) They don't see the money in subarus.

Metal printing is to brittle at this point right now. The metal needed to hold up aginst the forces in the rear diff is much much more that it can handle.

Hold in there guys! I'll post up sometimes when I have the money to get one made up!

Haha USMB has been getting slow hard to access it. Anyways I have a full 3d PVC model of it. I got a quote for the first prototype. Cost to much for me At that time. Getting to a place where I should have the money for the first but who knows.

As far as letting it out for people to use. Already had people ask. Answer is no lol I've got months of work into to let someone else with money produce it.

Lot of this has already been discussed on this thread. Lol.

Hopefully if I get this going and make a few they won't be as spendy as arb's. As far as other company's there looking for money. The r160 is a small fraction of the really market (Toyota, Nissan, Chevy ford.) They don't see the money in subarus.

Metal printing is to brittle at this point right now. The metal needed to hold up aginst the forces in the rear diff is much much more that it can handle.

Hold in there guys! I'll post up sometimes when I have the money to get one made up!

Start a crowdfunding thing, I'd definitely throw like $20+ to get this happening, and I'm sure there's many more that would as well. 

And yeah, site was down earlier

Start a crowdfunding thing, I'd definitely throw like $20+ to get this happening, and I'm sure there's many more that would as well. 

And yeah, site was down earlier

Yeah though about that a couple years ago. But I'm not that kinda person. I don't ask for money. Lol. I just started my own business building Subaru lift kits. Starting to pick up so let's hope there room for this product to be put in to production.

• Like 1