Anywho, here we go.
My car is a 1985 Subaru GL Wagon with an EA82 and 194k miles. Manual steering, 5 M/T with D/R, currently rocking 14"x6" Peugeot "Turbine Style" alloy wheels fitted with 205/60-14R Falken Ziex ZE512 in the front, and Nexen something or others in the same size in the rear. Spare is another matching Falken.
My decision to five lug this car came about after one particularly spirited drive back down the hill from a bonfire at a friend's house. The car wasn't particularly adept at handling 25 MPH corners at the 50-60 MPH I wanted to take them at. The rear of the car wants to roll a lot, causing a stupid amount of understeer, and the front feels much "squishier" than I was feeling comfortable with as well. So the hunt began.
Next day I had a visit with Spencer, aka "obk25xt", and he happened to have some parts I needed:banana:
So from him I got:
XT6 Rear; Swaybar, Rotors, calipers, backing plates and wheel hubs.
Also got the front sway bar, and a good power steering rack with the crossmember still attached, and some other random goodies.
Day after that, I was cruising CL and happened across a guy that was parting out a 1997 Impreza Outback wagon, AWD, 2.2 with A/T. He says I can have all the front end parts I want for $200. Soooo, I make the hour and a half drive each way and this lands on my garage floor once I'm back.
Got struts, Knuckles, hubs, brakes, control arms and axles.
Unfortunately, quickly discovered that the cups on these Impreza axles are the finer, 25 spline version. Darn, means I'm going to at least have to switch those out. Haven't yet had a chance to check out the length yet and compare it to an EA82 to see if I can get away with just swapping out the inner cups. Anybody have any input here?
I also got started with tearing the assemblies apart so I can get everything cleaned up and inspected, as well as ditch all the ABS stuff while I'm at it.
First I pulled the calipers and struts off, and then ATTEMPTED to break the axle nuts loose. Two broken ratchets later , I decided to take them over to the tire shop down the street and borrow their air gun to get them loose.
That finally worked, and the one side pulled out of the knuckle just fine, the other one, not so much. :banghead:
Pics of that mess:
Not so easy side.
As you can see, I got the shaft off, bu the stub is still in the knuckle. Got the splines soaking in some Kroil right now, later I'll try and beat the stub out of the knuckle. :horse: If not, I'll have to get a hold of a press and push the little bugger out.
Another odd thing I noticed is that the axle nuts were not the same size. Is this just a factory vs. aftermarket thing, or did somebody jam the wrong axle into the hub?
My "other" next step is to get the wheel bearings out so I can inspect them and, if needed, replace them, as well as get the last of the ABS junk off.
Also waiting on my replacement right rear door to show up from shortysayhi sometime today, mines got some rust/bondo issues where a PO apparently tried to repair it and did a less than stellar job. had some saggy trim so decided to pull it all off the car, and a large chunk of bondo came with the piece on the right rear door
That's all for right now, time to do some research on those wheel bearings.
Feel free to vocalize any questions, comments or concerns and I will do my best to respond to them in kind.
Also, for more/bigger pictures, my photobucket account can be reached here:
Edited by wentz912, 19 April 2012 - 04:47 PM.