Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Arizona Find: 78' Subaru Wagon

The beautiful state of Arizona has brought me two things. A new home and unfortunately for my girlfriend the recent (as in 4/18) procurement of a 1978 Subaru GL Wagon 4WD. Now I should start that I have never in my 25 years of life seen one of these, but looking for a new 4cyl daily driver I was fortunate enough to come across this beauty for a firm price of 900$. Now to me this is quite a bit of change but after weighing the pros and cons came to the conclusion that I could let this vehicle go to no one but myself.

The Good: little rust, two new rear tires, new battery, I do believe working AC, original motor and trams with 44,000 miles on her. Not sure if she was rolled over 100,000 or not but I bought it from the second owner and he states that they are original miles. Based on the little wear on the vehicle I want to believe him. Am able to start her with starting fluid. She looks pretty as sin.

The Bad: electrical gremlin found today. No fuel from the pump and after removal found no juice to the power supply or a few of the fuses. Needs two new front tires.

The Ugly: cracked windshield and the fact that my girlfriend somehow doesn't like this little gem.

To continue on with this little rampage I'll go on... I have little vehicle maintenance experience minus basic tune-ups and tire changes. I'm doing this project with little money and a Haynes manual which I'm happy to say that for the first time since its printing in 1987 this copy is now the proud owner of many grease stains after only the first day.

I'm looking to make this a daily driver with the help of my Haynes and hopefully some of the generous advice from the folks here on the message board. I'm currently down near the border and if you happen to find yourself this way a classic car who needs some love and endless cold beers await you.

Now it's back to the car and one more cold beer because I'm quite positive she's not going to fix herself.

I'll post pics as soon as I figure out how.

-Dave S.

Edited by Sub78

• 5 weeks later...

Well. I was going to try and keep this updated but alas no luck. The interior is ripped out minus the drivers seat. I partially solved my fuel problem. First I thought it was the pump. Pump works. Then I thought the voltage reg. that works. The I blew out the fuel line. That's fine. Finally I just dropped the tank. Found the outlet where the fuel line was connected had some kind of obstruction. Couldn't even get compressed air through it. Question for you guys. Can I just put a nail through the what I'm guessing is just varnish from the gas sitting 10+ years? Or is there some kind of screen at that port. I bypassed the fuel filter and just used a bottle full of gas to get her running. Changed belts and water pump but to my dismay the cooling fan shattered after letting her run and revving her up. Anyone reading this have one of the small 4 bolt 6 inch rough diameter fans? As of right now that's where I stand. Just need to solve the gas tank issue.

• 9 months later...

Alright, so It's been a long time since I've looked at this post and figured I would throw up a video and give an update. Finally after all these months I do believe I have the gas tank problem solved thanks to Subaru3 and the guys up at CBASS in Idaho. Here is a quick listen to her running that I took awhile back. The squeal at the beginning was due to a bad water pump which was replaced right after this video was taken. Currently working on the interior until my gas tank is shipped and thanks to Danny for the clutch fan that should be shipping soon. 

Edited by Sub78

Awesome wagon, I've been on the hunt for one of these ever since I got my wagon, and realized my mistake when I first saw one of these babies.

Sweet! Any more videos? I have some of my brat on youtube. User name is ldeliguoriII

I was wondering if that was someone on USMB... Ran across a few of your vids the other night.

Only one other of the engine purring. Ill see if I can find it. Ill try to post a few more shots of the last two or three days progress. Tons and tons of elbow grease. Hoping by the weekend Ill have her taped off and ready to prime. We'll see how it goes though. Glad I just bought a fresh case of beer. Gotta kill the monotany somehow.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah we'll see how she does. I'll most likely pull that seeing as at the moment the blower fan doesn't even work. If it does work however I will take it being that living in Southern Arizona it is almost a necessity with the summers that we have here. Certainly didn't buy this vehicle for the power. A rig that will get me 25 - 30 mpg over my monster F250 will be a welcome change.