Ultimate Subaru Message Board

85 wagon resto/build

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well she is starting to show her age and while there isnt very much rust on her i figured i might as well get ahead of it before it gets any worse. So there was only one spot on the car were rust had gone all the way through right behind the rear tire on the passenger side and it was about the size of a quarter maybe a little bigger so i cut it out and welded in some new sheet metal. But i didnt think to take a before picture so this is after some bondo primer and stone guard

062.jpg

That is all the same stuff I've used!

The Rustolium undercoating is pretty good, all rustolium products are good.

May I suggest going to your local Farm&Fleet or FleetFarm and buying this? It is a High-Solids base enamel, they have it in Semi or Gloss black. Very good stuff, I've never seen a better black enamel. Rustolium doesn't even come close. Its about $5 a can.

2012_0318AI.jpg

Edited by TheLoyale

Those wheel wells look great! Please tell me you did remove any rust in them before coating it with Undercoating? If not, the Undecoating will hold moister and the rust will continue behind it (Which is also the down fall of the Factory/dealer applied undercoating)

Nice EA81 emblem! :burnout:

ya i took off all the rust thats why its taking so long cause all i have been doing is wire wheeling with my drill and grinder lol

Thats how I always do it, simple means. It does indeed take forever lol. Try de-rusting your suspension tube that way ;)

I also use napa rust treatment:cool:

Good stuff. Permatex also makes a very good rust treatment/reformer. Probably the best I've used and is only $4-5 each. You brush it on, it is a white paste. Drys clear and tubes rust black and smooth (Solid as well) It seals up rest awesomely. I used it on the rear tube and every where on the EA82 and the EA81.

You're doing a good job so far!

What's with your muffler being so far forward? And does it have the giant hole in it that it looks like.

i didnt think it was that far forward but i really have no idea i thought that was a cat? and yes it has a huge hole in it lol it has been like that since i got the car.

Oddest looking cat I've ever seen if in fact that's what it is. Hmmmm. Strange.

Gotta love the first series of these EA82s, mine is a September of 84 Car, so it's really one of the first 85s! Ha! I had an 86 before this one, and the quirks between the two are.....interesting. I'm REALLY not liking the mirrors being separated from the door like they are. They make an awful racket at speed with that little channel for air to flow through.

Edited by wentz912

Oddest looking cat I've ever seen if in fact that's what it is. Hmmmm. Strange.

Gotta love the first series of these EA82s, mine is a September of 84 Car, so it's really one of the first 85s! Ha! I had an 86 before this one, and the quirks between the two are.....interesting. I'm REALLY not liking the mirrors being separated from the door like they are. They make an awful racket at speed with that little channel for air to flow through.

Yeah that was just my first guess either that or it has two mufflers which didnt make alot of sense to me.

right well i was getting tired of undercoating soo....

001-1.jpg

i got this baby on sale so the shovel plus all the bolts i bought was about 15 bucks:cool: so then i went to work on a mount

cut out these

003.jpg

drilled some holes

006.jpg

made up this little mount

007-1.jpg

and then a little paint

012.jpg

view from the back

013.jpg

and the front

015.jpg