Ultimate Subaru Message Board

WCSS 14 - Jefferson County Fairgrounds, Port Townsend, WA

I really am just flipping ************.

But that statement was from my heart.

I spent the ENTIRE day in the mudpit area aside from bathroom breaks.Literally needed more help.

Tosh helped out alot, and a few others were around at different times.I really, really appreciated all the help I DID get.

Folks were kind enough most all day long.

Just need more help sometimes.

:headbang::-p

Love it and will work it until I am not needed/wanted...

cheers/me

It's not really practical for me to get involved in the planning and such but I'm ALWAYS willing to give a hand whenever you guys need it. Just say the word. It's rarely apparent to me when help is required but I'm happy to give it when it's asked for.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for responding with the clarifications.

Its unfortunate that the Z Club made things difficult, but didnt people voice their concerns about this before the show? Did anyone talk to them about it?

I understand judging staff was all volunteer, would it have helped if you guys had gave a shout out for help just prior to the S&S? I was a bit surprised that there was only one judge for most Old School classes (dont know about New Gen). I had no clue where our judge was and didnt want to leave my car without talking to him about it. So I couldnt go over to the New Gen S&S because I couldnt see my car.

I had saved 3 spots for friends that couldnt show till Sat and when they did get there they ended up camping in the area you opened up Fri night :rolleyes:

I did end up giving 2 of them to late comers. Noise wasnt any worse than normal on Sat night, but I did hear someone around 1am yell at the top of their lungs......STFU!

And who was Cory?

The schedule got a little messed up and I ended up missing some of the raffle and was late for the awards.

And what was up with the ditty bags?

Nothing like years past and there was no dash plaque.

I do appreciate all your hard work trying to make things perfect.

Some day I hope to participate/help with the show.

Why do you have a chip on your shoulder? Every interaction I had with you during the show was YOU complaining about something. I personally feel that you had your mind made up about the location before even coming out, which makes me wonder if you thought it was going to suck, why did you come?

Its insulting for you to try and pull a "i told you so" moment when I did personally everything in my power to make things work. What we were told by the grounds, and what was there when we showed up were 2 different things... and this actually happens more often than you think! (think skamania last year with bailing on the mudpit, or cashmere the year before double booking horses in the arena). It happened, and we adjusted. And, by most people's accounts, turned out fantastic!

I felt there was PLENTY of camping space, however it was very poorly utilized. Some groups blocked off huge pieces of the field, and others simple were unwilling to make the effort to go find an open spot. Its these people we finally got tired of their whining, and let them camp on the building side. Its a result of this that we ended up not parking any cars there, and having to find other places that worked.

I made a post, right here: http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=135107 asking for volunteers to judge for oldschool. Why did I do this? SO I DIDN'T HAVE TO. In years past I have judged 3-4 classes, along with trying to run everything else. I got 3 guys, who did their best to judge the classes. I honestly don't think in the last 2-3 years, our judging has gone as smoothly or quickly. In my book, having to wait 2hrs out of a 4hr window of time is pretty decent. This year there was actually MORE judges, with LESS classes PER judge, than in any year previous that I have been a part of.

I'm not sure why your judge found it necessary to help with the mudpit, nor why needing some other people wasn't brought to my attention for the mudpit, as I'm sure I could have put some other volunteers to work.

If you saved spots, and those people ended up camping somewhere else... well, that makes you part of the problem. Everybody I asked about why they had so much space, and why they parked a car there was "i'm saving room for a friend" or "my buddy is staying here, he just ran into town for something" or "i can't let me car out of my site, someone is going to damage it!"

We did start the raffle a little bit early, as we had a ton of people antsy for something to do as they waited for food. However, we started the awards well after 6. There was also plenty of space for people to be in front of the speakers, and not behind...

Goodie bags rely on our vendors and sponsors participation. AWD auto was the best participant this year by having key chains made. Its a struggle every year, so if you are not satisfied with it... talk to them. We ponied up big money for what we thought was a cool item, something fun and enjoyable... but I think the footballs had a mixed response. Win some, lose some I guess.

Dash plaques were a legitimate let down. We had issues with our supplier. We are going to be doing a post show run of them, as I was surprised at how many people commented on them being missing. These will be available for free for those that pre-registered, and for those that did not they will be available for a small fee.

I'm truly sorry that you seemed to not be able to enjoy the show in light of these problems.

I feel the show went very well, and that the grounds fit us very well. And, I would even go so far to say I'd host another show there in a heartbeat. The pros far out way the cons.

They cant all be the best ever for everyone.. Most of my balloon deflation had to do with vehicle issues and not being able to show up on Friday. Aside from all that the BBQ truck was kinda scary so I passed my tickets off to you while others were lining up. On the up side that was one of the coolest mudpit dirty fun tracks to date. I thoroughly enjoyed watching others play in it.. I am hoping to partake at some show in the not to distant future. If I am able I will help wherever I can Just ask. My work schedule is the only thing that may complicate my helping. I have only the most vague idea what it takes to organize the event and think maybe a few different people each year should help with planning. different ideas and or perspectives. IDK just throwing my thoughts out there.

:clap: Awesome show! Things never go as planned, that is understood. If you need any help next year... sign me up! Maybe in next years announcement thread we could include a link to a volunteer thread? Just an idea ;) I think of all the things that could have gone wrong.. we lucked out. At least the toilets werent backed up or something. Thanks to everyone who made this show happen. Btw... is there a link for how to get the dash plaques? I pre-reg'd.

Tosh I think I ended up camping next to you! Cool dogs :D

Hello everyone I am a bit new to these forums, so I'll come right out and say it the greatest attraction to the show for me was the old subies, that's right boys and girls, the ones you guys think nobody came and saw. I came to the show from lakewood with a group of about 13, altogether, we made a point of checking out the older models first mainly because as many of you had said, the lifted ones well they get dirty. Along with that myself and a buddy really looked at the engineering side of those rides, the unique approach to make something your own. Whether you know it or not you guys rocked the show, not many people drive what you all own anymore, so kudos for keeping them going.

The newer model rides are boring primarily because i see them all the time and nobody wants to be different( the new phase is all about stance and how the car sits or looks with whacked out colors or how much power money can buy), all in all it gets away from making a car unique to it's owner and that makes it boring.

I love rally, and I love mud, and most of the inspiration for my build comes from older subies, whether they be lifted or not. WCSS is really the only place a guy like me can take an 06 STI and sit it next to a Brat or a Gen 1, or 2 and have a conversation where each party understands the other and it's not watered down bs just about cars.

I met people at WCSS i could never forget talked alot of cars and learned alot about subaru history that in my book is a win!

The newer model rides are boring primarily because i see them all the time and nobody wants to be different( the new phase is all about stance and how the car sits or looks with whacked out colors or how much power money can buy), all in all it gets away from making a car unique to it's owner and that makes it boring.

:/

I wouldn't go that far. There are a lot of unique newer rides. There's goodness to be seen in every facet of the subaru gem :)

Why do you have a chip on your shoulder? Every interaction I had with you during the show was YOU complaining about something. I personally feel that you had your mind made up about the location before even coming out, which makes me wonder if you thought it was going to suck, why did you come?

Seriously, a chip on my shoulder? Because I have a few negative comments about the show you attack me? I had ONE interaction with you at the show and all I did was ask about the judging. And you gave me a short, rude response.

Its insulting for you to try and pull a "i told you so" moment when I did personally everything in my power to make things work. What we were told by the grounds, and what was there when we showed up were 2 different things... and this actually happens more often than you think! (think skamania last year with bailing on the mudpit, or cashmere the year before double booking horses in the arena). It happened, and we adjusted. And, by most people's accounts, turned out fantastic!

I'm not seeing any "I told you so" comments. Heres one of the comments I made..

I know the organizers work hard and do everything they can to make this a great show and cant always make everyone happy and I'm usually pleased with the entire show.

I felt there was PLENTY of camping space, however it was very poorly utilized. Some groups blocked off huge pieces of the field, and others simple were unwilling to make the effort to go find an open spot. Its these people we finally got tired of their whining, and let them camp on the building side. Its a result of this that we ended up not parking any cars there, and having to find other places that worked.

If the folks I had saved spaces for had camped with me, things would have been tight. But you opened up the other area and I had more elbow room, so I will take back what I said about camping. But as the show grows, so does the number of people attending.

I made a post, right here: http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=135107 asking for volunteers to judge for oldschool. Why did I do this? SO I DIDN'T HAVE TO. In years past I have judged 3-4 classes, along with trying to run everything else. I got 3 guys, who did their best to judge the classes. I honestly don't think in the last 2-3 years, our judging has gone as smoothly or quickly. In my book, having to wait 2hrs out of a 4hr window of time is pretty decent. This year there was actually MORE judges, with LESS classes PER judge, than in any year previous that I have been a part of.

I'm not sure why your judge found it necessary to help with the mudpit, nor why needing some other people wasn't brought to my attention for the mudpit, as I'm sure I could have put some other volunteers to work.

I think I was basing things on the past, where it went quicker and I had time to see the rest of the S&S. After my car was judged I just wanted to go back to camp and get something to eat and drink. And we were crammed into a small area and somewhat segregated from the rest of the S&S

If you saved spots, and those people ended up camping somewhere else... well, that makes you part of the problem. Everybody I asked about why they had so much space, and why they parked a car there was "i'm saving room for a friend" or "my buddy is staying here, he just ran into town for something" or "i can't let me car out of my site, someone is going to damage it!"

The spots I saved got taken. 2 by people camping and 1 from a friend attending Sat only. More comments in my post above.

We did start the raffle a little bit early, as we had a ton of people antsy for something to do as they waited for food. However, we started the awards well after 6. There was also plenty of space for people to be in front of the speakers, and not behind...

Goodie bags rely on our vendors and sponsors participation. AWD auto was the best participant this year by having key chains made. Its a struggle every year, so if you are not satisfied with it... talk to them. We ponied up big money for what we thought was a cool item, something fun and enjoyable... but I think the footballs had a mixed response. Win some, lose some I guess.

Dash plaques were a legitimate let down. We had issues with our supplier. We are going to be doing a post show run of them, as I was surprised at how many people commented on them being missing. These will be available for free for those that pre-registered, and for those that did not they will be available for a small fee.

I'm truly sorry that you seemed to not be able to enjoy the show in light of these problems.

I feel the show went very well, and that the grounds fit us very well. And, I would even go so far to say I'd host another show there in a heartbeat. The pros far out way the cons.

In my original post I said I was usually pleased with the entire show, but this time I wasnt.

Let me clarify that. It means there were parts of the show that I wasnt happy with. Whats wrong with that? I've already said you guys worked hard, like every year, to put on a great show and that I appreciate that. Why cant you take some criticism and look to make positive changes? I wish you luck for next years show.

Thanks where you next to us with the white brat?

That was Twitch and GWAL (Girl with a Legacy), my son and I were there in the RX too. I sure appreciated you opening the hood and pointing out the OBD2 and the thermo sensor tip, and the carrier idea* you guys were cool and the dogs were awesome. I hope to see you at the next one or sooner! :headbang:

It's not worth getting mad about guys :) And if you've decided you're not coming back next year because of the way the show was judged, the show is probably better off without you.

I ain't mad. I just don't like the idea of the show wnner being the guy who spent them most time in a waiting booth while some go fast company swiped his credit card and made his hot rod roddier. (<----say that's not a cool word)

hehe, I made no secret that I thought that Dave's car was a ringer for sure. Here's me telling Jessie and Ken just what I thought.

picture.php?albumid=166&pictureid=3723

And who can say? Without my past input about ideas to make the show what it is, (camping, mudpit, beer, glasses, tshirts) it probably woulda been something really really really awesomer. lol

Tex. Me and Ken joked about complaining. Other than the green and white coloring of the buildings, I have little to complain about. lol Great job, you knew they'd complain, don't be surprised by who. 400 cars is asweet achievement. Hire a psychic next time to predict how many cars and just what time they'll show up, ok?

Edited by Zap

That was Twitch and GWAL (Girl with a Legacy), my son and I were there in the RX too. I sure appreciated you opening the hood and pointing out the OBD2 and the thermo sensor tip, and the carrier idea* you guys were cool and the dogs were awesome. I hope to see you at the next one or sooner! :headbang:

hey are you the guy I ran into at the ferry on Saturday night?

I ain't mad. I just don't like the idea of the show wnner being the guy who spent them most time in a waiting booth while some go fast company swiped his credit card and made his hot rod roddier. (<----say that's not a cool word)

I was disappointed too but I'll be back next year :)

Maybe they should have a category next year, Best DIY?

Great show! :clap: We had a blast!

Travel to the show was not bad at all. Phoenix was the hottest at 115*, but once we got out of Vegas, we had showers on and off all the way through Oregon. Really helped keep the temps down. The cold and wet at the show took a little to get used to, but not bad.

On the way home, we had showers on and off. Temps were mild and the cars were quite happy.

Twitch and GirlWithALegacy, it was great hanging out with ya after the show!

Round trip: 3665.8 miles :headbang: and ready to do it again! :burnout:

Travel to the show was not bad at all. Phoenix was the hottest at 115*, but once we got out of Vegas, we had showers on and off all the way through Oregon. Really helped keep the temps down. The cold and wet at the show took a little to get used to, but not bad.

On the way home, we had showers on and off. Temps were mild and the cars were quite happy.

You make the rest of us look wimpy, driving a couple days vs our few hours. It was awesome hanging with you guys during and afterward.

Maybe my BRAT will close to as cool as your Wagon next year ;):burnout:

I didn't mind the arrangements.

The venue was nice, and I understand the car placement issue. A little frustrating at first, being shoehorned into the back, but it made mudpit access a breeze :brow:

The lack of a quiet place was kinda frustrating for sleeping arrangements and whoever cody is, he needs to be found and duct taped to a billboard that says, "Cody is Here".

And the new gen guys, while typically annoying, are fun to mock when a little dust gets on their precious paint.

The lack of handbuilt rides in the new gen is saddening but typical of the new crowd. Lets just outdo them next year.

Invite all the EA and early EJ's you know.

Lets make them realize what Subarus are really about ;)

Lets hear it for next year!

Twitch

Splinter- By no means do i think any subie is bad, especially the new ones, I just wish took as much pride in their rides as the owners of the older models. So few of my friends do their own work on their car it comes to either myself or another member of our group, even for small items.

The unique quality to the older rides is you could essentially do nearly anything and that makes it unique, most times you have to change things around just to make it more functional, the newer models I agree with Twitch 1000% ( oh god a piece of dirt hit my car! oh what will i ever do) most of the newer owners I run into feel that way. The good news is atleast they came and represented what they have, in the end it's a win for subaru even if their subtle differences are hard to spot.

I actually prefer this type of venue if mixes and mashes multiple users and cars together instead of segregating everybody into specific categories, obviously for judging purposes their separated, but the night before one row had a this line up gen1, sx, 08sti, gc8, bugeye 02 wrx, 05' baja, 11 forester, 99 legacy. That was the best pic for a memory I will ever have everything great about subie in 1 shot.

And the new gen guys, while typically annoying, are fun to mock when a little dust gets on their precious paint.

The lack of handbuilt rides in the new gen is saddening but typical of the new crowd. Lets just outdo them next year.

Yanno... it sucks to be one of the 'new gen guys' and have to put up with this sort of stuff constantly :/

We're not all shop queens.

There were quite a few newer cars in the mud pit, and a lot of those new gen cars are home built. A lot. Just because they aren't fabricating their own bumpers doesn't mean they're not getting dirty! And what's wrong with wanting a shiny car?

Edited by Splinter

Yeah, what he said! lol :-p

It was a great show, the mudpit was definitely a high point for me.:banana: So much fun! :headbang: Gokarts were awesome too. :D Let's do that again! :clap::clap: Working on uploading my pics. My goodness, I took alot of pics this trip :eek:

Edited by Frogger-ru

Yep. Whidbey cop pulled over a guy for tailgating me, guess they aren't all bad.

Awesome! glad to hear it wasn't you! i got on the island and after a few cars turned off I cranked it up a little. I was sooooooo tired I could barely see straight by the time I got to Everett.

My car was having a fit, I'd let off the gas and get a nice -bap!- out the muffler. It was running like poo until I got to I-5 South, then it was tolerable at a steady rpm. On the idea I got really crappy gas in North Bend, I topped it the next day with Chevron Premium. Absolutely PURRED all the way across the state, was real happy over the pass too. Not sure what the heck that was all about, but it did seem to be last fill up related.

Yeah I found my friend's place that night, eyes burning, kiddo passed out in his booster before we even got off the ferry, lol.

Glad you made it safe too!