Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Auto to 5 speed Portland Oregon area

can someone tell me if a Hi Low 5 speed tranny can be placed in a 1988 4wd subaru which at this time is a auto. Tranny went by by.

I am wondering if the dual range tranny would fit and what would I need to accomplish this . Would the console of the dual range and molding fit on the newer 1988.

What would be the cost and does anyone in the Portland Oregon area have experience doing this.

I can do it for you - the cost is going to be around $700 labor. You will have to source the parts - clutch/flywheel, pedal assembly and clutch cable, transmission, driveline, rear diff, etc. Figure on spending around $500 on good condition used parts as well as a new clutch, clutch cable, etc. I'm sure that it would be out the door for around $1200.

And yes - I have done this before and I do know all about bypassing the neutral start inhibitor, and how to tell the ECU it's a manual, etc. There is a good amount of wiring needed to interface the manual with the automatic harness - making the reverse lights and neutral switch, work and making the ECU think it's a manual without throwing codes at you, etc.

Cheaper to just buy a car with one already in it these days.... but entirely up to you.

GD

So from what your saying its pointless to do an ej swap in an ea82 car. The way i understand it the 3 speed wont handle a 2.2(for long) Im not askin this cause i doubt your knowledge. Im only askin cause i have a 91 loyale that desperately wants more power with a 5 speed d/r behind it. Id really hate to crush the ole girls dreams:(

I can do it for you - the cost is going to be around $700 labor. You will have to source the parts - clutch/flywheel, pedal assembly and clutch cable, transmission, driveline, rear diff, etc. Figure on spending around $500 on good condition used parts as well as a new clutch, clutch cable, etc. I'm sure that it would be out the door for around $1200.

And yes - I have done this before and I do know all about bypassing the neutral start inhibitor, and how to tell the ECU it's a manual, etc. There is a good amount of wiring needed to interface the manual with the automatic harness - making the reverse lights and neutral switch, work and making the ECU think it's a manual without throwing codes at you, etc.

Cheaper to just buy a car with one already in it these days.... but entirely up to you.

GD

So from what your saying its pointless to do an ej swap in an ea82 car. The way i understand it the 3 speed wont handle a 2.2(for long) Im not askin this cause i doubt your knowledge. Im only askin cause i have a 91 loyale that desperately wants more power with a 5 speed d/r behind it. Id really hate to crush the ole girls dreams:(

No EJ swap was mentioned :grin:

He's saying its cheaper to find EA's with D/R 5 speed transmissions already in them than it is to swap a D/R 5 speed into an automatic.

Although seems its "pointless" to put an EJ in an EA since its cheaper to buy a Legacy with the EJ already in it... doesn't stop anyone, well maybe it does... anyway back to 5 speed swapping.

Edited by 92_rugby_subie

So from what your saying its pointless to do an ej swap in an ea82 car.

Kinda, yes. From a practicality standpoint.... the EA82 is long and heavy like the Legacy was to begin with. IMO the money spent on doing an EJ swap would be better spent doing a D/R swap into a Legacy. And for the costs and complexity of the EJ engine swap you could import an EJ D/R from europe and get 4.11 or 4.44 gearing out of the deal.

EJ swaps should be reserved for things like RX's, and the Brat/Hatch - because of their collectible value and cool factor and because the Hatch is small and light so it benefits from the power a lot more.

A lot of people are doing it to have something unique.... so I guess you can't put a price on that. But for pure functionality - it's a huge waste of time and resources. I can out-wheel almost any EA in a stock first-gen Forester automatic and the price for one of those is down to about $2500 or less. Last one I bought for $1500 with a bad radiator. Tell me how you are going to buy an EA82, EJ swap it, lift it, and wheel like that Forester can in stock form for $1500?? Answer.... you aren't.

GD