Ultimate Subaru Message Board

91 legacy first time builder

topsecret

I just got my first subaru, and my first project car. First time i've had a vehicle that's not my daily driver. 900$ and it runs and drives well!!

I'd like to build it up so i can take it camping in a few of the harder to reach spots. Nothing crazy but enough to eliminate any sort of traffic. I'm starting the lift and have been reading through all of your posts. I'd like to eventually do the full lift but i'm starting with just larger tires and new struts/springs. I came up with two questions regarding those two projects. Number 1, i wanted to go with 15 inch steel wheels after reading a bit about the stock, my question is should i just go with the factory original steel wheels or are those too weak for a rocky road? Do i need to look at 15 inch offroading wheels that will fit 5x100? These seem harder to find for cheap. I see many of you using toyota rims but i'm assuming those are redrilled? I do not have the knowledge or ability to redrill rims. Any suggestions would help me out

Second question, and i know this has been asked on here too many times so i apologize in advance. I'd like to change the struts/springs but after looking up part numbers all night on the internet i'm not sure i can use outback struts (no such thing as a 91 outback?) As far as i can tell the 91 legacy's don't have a lot of crossover in parts with the later legacys. Can anyone tell me what the best strut to use would be. By now you've figured out that i'm the weekend type of hobbiest and my auto mechanic skills aren't the best, so i'm looking for struts that will bolt right in in place of these and won't hinder a body lift in the near future. Sorry for the noob questions, i'll start to post pics as soon as i get it on stands.

Nothing really changed too much chassis wise on the legacies for the first 2 gens. (90-94, and 95-99) Pretty much interior and cosmetic changes. Obviusly, the Outback versions have a bit of a lift vs. standard legacy.

And really, almost any 90's + subaru has interchangable struts.

Get 99 outback struts....they are the tallest.

I saw that the '99s were the tallest in another posting about this but i didn't think they would work for me. That's great news, thanks for the quick feedback. Anybody have any suggestions on wheels or should i just keep the stock aluminum 15's i have for now?

DSCF1178.jpgOkie dokey, i went to the junkyard today and was able to find the front struts off of a 99 outback and the rear struts off of a 96 outback. I came home and started with the fronts and got them in. Had to do a little pushing and shoving to get the bolts back in but they all lined up eventually.

Then i got to the back. I got the back up on stands and took the back seats out and removed the struts, well guess what!! the top hats are definitely different. Not only is the bolt pattern differently spaced but they also have a smaller center. (the pics show them lined up to one another).DSCF1175.jpg

Uh Oh! It looks like a big enough difference where i'm not going to be able to just widen my holes a bit on the mount. I'm going to have to change the top hat. Anyone know how difficult of a job that is? I've never done it before and i'm a little iffy on working on something with such a powerfully loaded spring. Any tips would really help me out. Thanks guys!

I got the spring compressors from harbor freight this morning actually. So here is the new problem....

when i attempt to take the tophat bolt off the whole shaft moves. I've tried vice grips and a towel on the shaft but i can't get enough torque to break this bolt. There is a hex key in the middle but no way to access it when you have a wrench on there. I'm a little confused should i be using the hex or the bolt? how can i use them together?