Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Rust in the gas tank of my L series....what to do?

So I'm trying to revive my old EA82 L series 1991. I replaced the fuel filter and took it for a drive but it began gasping and spluttering after about 5 minutes. When I inspected the new fuel filter it had a quarter inch of rust particles sitting it it.

So does this mean my gas tank is full of rust (it has been sitting empty for quite a while)?

If this is the case - should I just flush it out with fuel a few times and replace the filter, or do I need to remove the tank entirely and do the old shake-around-with-bolts-in-it trick? If so, is it just a matter of removing the 6 bolts holding the tank on and sliding it out from under the rear axle, or is it a fairly big job?

Remove the tank, drain it & take it to a radiator shop to be boiled out & soldered if there are any pinholes. Surest way other than a new tank to get rid of rust & scale. And have them pressure test it.

Edited by czny
more info

"Cleaning" it isn't necessarily what you need. That rust didn't just appear, those rust flakes are the metal that was formerly the walls of your tank. If you have that much rust plugging things up, then it is likely that you are also getting close to having pinholes or other structural issues with the tank.

You could try a sealant kit, such as this one from Eastwood...

http://www.eastwood.com/gas-tank-sealer-kits.html

... but by the time you put all the effort into it, it might be more cost effective to just have the local radiator shop clean, check, and pressure test it.

If you have the tank out, now is the time to make sure it is in good shape - so that you don't have to do it all over again later. icon14.gif