Ultimate Subaru Message Board

87 Toyota Tercel 4wd

Hey,

Im looking at getting another suby, since I need an economical 4wd for a long commute. I ran across an add for an 87 Tercel wagon with a 6 spd 4wd, but i dont know anything about them. has 166k miles, perfectly straight, new tires and clutch, current daily driver. hes asking $1800.

id prefer a subaru but if these were dependable cars, I could pick it up and sell my truck, which would give me the time and money to search for a suby with exactly what I want in it.

anyone had one of these? any pro's or cons when compaired to a subaru?

Its a Toyota, it'll run forever. The Tercel 4WDs aren't bad machines, they are dependable and easy to work on, the I4 will be extremely fuel efficient, you'd be looking at upper 20s for MPG if not more with a full tuneup.

If the rust hasn't eaten most of it away, I would consider it a decent option.

I'm not real familiar with the motor from this car, but if it has a Timing belt, I would ask the seller if he ever serviced that. If he has no idea, then I would see about checking it out before logging a lot of miles on it.

Post some pictures and info if you buy it! :)

My cousin had an '83 Tercel 4x4 wagon. Looks like they kept that body style in '87 even though the rest of the Tercels were the next gen. You won't win any races from a stop light but they are tanks. My cousin's went for 350k miles, surviving two teenagers learning to drive a stick, before being totalled in a wreck. It was still running good and wasn't too rusty for being a MI car.

IMO, they are great vehicles.

craigslist has been like that lately. Ive called/texted/emailed on 5 cars in the last week. 1 person answered, and another reposted without contacting me.

going to look at 2 justy's this week, one at a dealership and one private party.