Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Simple EA82 water pump questions

Dose this look like the correct waterpump for my 86 EA82 wagon w/ac?

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=1872106

I know the ac water pump has studs right? I dont see any water pumps on rock auto with studs so I assume I will need to transfer the studs from my old pump to the new? And gaskets? OEM is best of course but out on order. I could either use this gasket wait for OEM or maby just use straight RTV?

Thanks

Yes, that is the correct pump. It is just upside down in that photo.

That gasket will do just fine, I would apply some Blue/Black RTV to both sides of the gasket during install to help it even more, this is what I did 3 years ago, and no leaks.

As for the studs, that is kinda odd. Mine had Studs. Check ebay maybe, might pay less as well.

You might also want to replace the small hose that is on top of the Waterpump, they get over looked and cause leaking. You will need to remove the Alt bracket to get at it.

... Personally I dislike RTV. ...

What do you Think about Shellac? ...

http://www.permatex.com/products/automotive/automotive_gasketing/gasket_sealants/Permatex_Indian_Head_Gasket_Shellac_Compound.htm

...I Always use Shellac on Paper gaskets, and if I need to use Silicone, I preffer Ultra Cooper Silicone.

Kind Regards.

No, this is not the correct pump. This is the short 105mm pump where the pulley bolts on, and the studs are contained to the pulley.

If your pump has a pulley that goes over studs, then that is a 110mm.

the first pump will work if you have the associated pulley for it. Otherwise, if you try to modify it with studs, the pulley will not be in line with the belts.

The one pictured is typically in xt's and mpfi/turbo gl's with inboard alternator style square ac pumps.

The brand is correct, however.

Now that you've said that, this reminds me of when I replaced mine some years ago. I remember I had a hard time finding the 110mm pump (That was then) so I went to the dealer and got the correct one.

I honestly forgot about the 105mm and 110mm.

TheLoyale,

You might also want to replace the small hose that is on top of the Waterpump, they get over looked and cause leaking. You will need to remove the Alt bracket to get at it.

I replaced that when I replaced the intake manifold gaskets.I should of replaced the pump too. the hose hasnt leaked for 10,000mi but It still wouldn't hurt to check it out again to guarantee it is the pump that is leaking.

MilesFox,

No, this is not the correct pump. This is the short 105mm pump where the pulley bolts on, and the studs are contained to the pulley.

If your pump has a pulley that goes over studs, then that is a 110mm

Thank you MilesFox, that is key information.I need the 110mm pump.I do remember reading Aisin being the prefered brand.

GD,

Personally I dislike RTV. Anearobic flange sealanth (loctite 518) is my preferance for water pump and EA thermostat housings, etc. EJ oil pumps also

I will have to try this, have you used it on EA oil pumps too?both my ea81s leak.I know Idasho used a Permatex equivalent on his EA81 case halfs,so I assume it is quality.

Thankyou

• 2 years later...