Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Show me your dipstick... transmission capacity question

1983 DL non-4WD transmission capacity is listed in How to Keep Your Subaru Alive as "almost 3 quarts". I drained mine and dumped in 2 quarts, checked the dipstick and it showed about double the fill amount.

Take a look at the photos. Is it possible I have the wrong dipstick?

post-9251-136027655332_thumb.jpg

post-9251-136027655336_thumb.jpg

Forgot to mention my transmission serial number is 013339, if that is helpful to anyone.

Also, I want to mention that I have been having a problem of transmission gear oil travelling up the speedometer cable and dripping on the drivers floor. Is it possible that this transmission only requires 1 ONE Quart of gear oil?

Please discuss.

I fill my transmission with 3 quarts of gear oil.

I couldnt tell you why yours is so overfull.

it looks like the correct dipstick however it seems pretty dirty.

For the spedometer cable there should be a seal at the end of the cable on the tranny. it is likely worn and needs replaced.

EA81 FSM says

Capacity 4-speed and 5-speed

(except 4WD) (2.9 US qt )

(4WD) (3.2USqt)

I drained mine and dumped in 2 quarts...

How much gear oil came out of your transmission? It's always a good rule to check how much oil (gear, motor, or ATF) you've drained before refilling, especially if the car is somewhat new to you. It can give you a ballpark volume for refilling since you never get it drained completely, and also gives you a chance to see what's in the "bottoms" that came out of whatever you're draining.

I put 3 quarts in my EA71 2wd 5spd and it put it exactly on the full. Either the dipstick is wrong, not all the fluid drained out of the transmission (like previous poster said, how much drained out?), or you drained your oil instead! lol. This IS a manual transmission right?

Similarly, does anyone know if the 4-speed DR trans dipstick is the same as the 5-speed DR dipstick?

I have the dipstick for a 4speed dr sitting next to a 5 speed dr. the 5 speed is about 3" longer.

Id show you but I cant find my camera at the moment

If you could, could you measure the exact length difference for me?

Im going to do a 5-speed swap, but the 5-speed I have is lacking the dipstick. So Id like to use the 4-speed one. Or modify it to work :)

Thanks!

Sorry for the low quality pic,The 4 speed is on the left an the 5 speed it on the right.

4 speed dr measures from the base of the stopper as shown to the end at 7 1/16" to be precise.

5 speed dr measured from the same points with the dipstick straight at 10 1/4"

So the difference between them should be 3 and 3/16th". Or just as well 3 in:)

Picture0027.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I estimate that 2 quarts of tranny oil came out when I drained the old. And that too showed double overfilled on the dip stick. So I sucked out enough of the new to read full on my dip stick... and I am no longer getting oil coming up through the speedometer cable.

That could just mean my transmission is only really half full and I still have my seal problem. Unless someone can tell me I'm ok with one quart of synchromesh transmission oil, I'm going to continue to worry a bit. However, I don't mind not having oil dripping on my feet. And shifting is smooth and quiet now, whereas with the old crude in there, I was getting grinding on 2nd and 3rd. Still can't easily downshift into 2nd though.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Well, that would be a problem!

You have been overfilling the thing like crazy!

Im going to bump this up... as it would help us both. Im in a similar pickle. I have a 4-speed dipstick and 5-speed trans.

81EA81, would you be kind enough to show the hash marks on that 5-speed dipstick? I need to lengthen my 4-speed dipstick, and would like to know where the level indicators are.

Thanks!! :headbang:

Sorry for the low quality pic,The 4 speed is on the left an the 5 speed it on the right.

4 speed dr measures from the base of the stopper as shown to the end at 7 1/16" to be precise.

5 speed dr measured from the same points with the dipstick straight at 10 1/4"

So the difference between them should be 3 and 3/16th". Or just as well 3 in:)

Picture0027.jpg

No pics currently to prove my measurements, But I used the same technique as pictured before yet with a steel ruler.

Measured from the base of the stopper to the tip it was still 10 1/4".

The "F" mark was at 9 7/16" from the base and the "L" was at 9 3/4"

I hope this helps.

Oh, I could always keep an eye out for a dipstick at the junk yard if your interested.

Just a quick update. Everything still seems ok, but from the looks of it, I might just have a four speed dipstick... yikes.

Im suprised nobody caught that. glad you noticed and thank you for the thread jack