Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My new 1986 Subaru GL Hatchback

Just got this a couple days ago. 1986 Subaru GL hatch 4wd stick. 37k original miles! The guy we bought it from was the second owner. He said he bought it at an estate sale where it had been heated garage stored. I couldn't contain my excitement when I found this on craigslist only 90 miles from my house. I plan on keeping it stock and just cleaning it up. It needs a new gas tank. As you can see, the previous owner had a 10-gallon fuel cell hooked up. Other than that and some brake work, its ready to go. I will post some engine pics in the next day or two. Let me know what you guys think.

subarugl021.jpg

subarugl022.jpg

subarugl023.jpg

subarugl024.jpg

subarugl025.jpg

subarugl026.jpg

subarugl015.jpg

subarugl016-1.jpg

subarugl017.jpg

subarugl018.jpg

subarugl019.jpg

subarugl020.jpg

subarugl010.jpg

subarugl011.jpg

subarugl012.jpg

subarugl013.jpg

subarugl014.jpg

Yeah I've been looking online a little bit. Any suggestions on where I should be looking? Subies like this are hard to find in Ohio. They are not popular here like they are out West. I also have this car's little brothers, a '91 and '93 Justy.

This car, along with our Justys, has saved and will save us countless dollars in gas money. We live in a very rural part of Ohio and just a trip to the grocery store is over an hour's drive. But, we also happen to live in the Southeast mountainous part of the state, so we also need something with 4wd. These little Subies are perfect!

Edited by ibbki

If the old one is still under the car have it repaired. Radiator repair shops usually can do this for less than the cost of a tank either new or used plus shipping typically goes past repair cost.

Thanks for the advice on the tank. I didn't know that my only choice was a used one. I'm still learning a lot about the older Subies. The first one we got was last year, a '93 Justy and we fell in love. I should have some engine pics and more pics in general up tomorrow. I'll have a look at the old tank and let you know what is going on with it.

Thanks for the advice on the tank. I didn't know that my only choice was a used one. I'm still learning a lot about the older Subies. The first one we got was last year, a '93 Justy and we fell in love. I should have some engine pics and more pics in general up tomorrow. I'll have a look at the old tank and let you know what is going on with it.