Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Loud Fuel Pump Question

On my '84 BRAT the fuel pump has started to sound like a helicopter thump thumping behind me. You can only hear it when you are stopped at a traffic light or something, but it's getting on my nerves. Is it a sign that it's on its way out or do they all sound like that after a while? Thanks, Brian.

My '88 Wagon's F.P. hums pretty loud. Has been happening prolly for at least a year or two. When the turn signal is on or I tap the brakes (while stopped) the tone changes slightly too. Hasn't given me a prob yet though. Not saying this is the norm, but, if it aint' broke....

check the mounts for it they usually are suspended on rubber bushings that can wear out and allow metal to metal contact

i am assuming the brat is carbed?

then the fuel pump will make a soft flutter/thump like noise due to its design but the bushing usually muffle the noise unless they wear out

if its fuel injected then it will be a constant whine sometimes easy to hear otehr times not depends on the pump design

but i would check the mounts first then look into a new pump

you could add a fuel pressure gauge inline so you know if its working at the right pressure

"On my '84 BRAT the fuel pump has started to sound like a helicopter thump thumping behind me. You can only hear it when you are stopped at a traffic light ". Thats exactly what mine does also been doing it for 2 years, the Brats name is therefor Huey:clap: