Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

EJ swap issue...Exedy XT6 clutches discontinued?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 El Presidente

El Presidente

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 575 posts
  • Northgate/Seattle, WA

Posted 04 May 2012 - 12:53 PM

I ordered a couple XT6 clutches through amazon the other day and got a email back saying that exedy discontinued part 15009, which is a XT6 clutch. The retailer was Performance Parts Place. I can go with a beck/arnley, but I haven't heard the best things about these clutches

If OEM clutches are exedy, that also means you can't get one from the dealer....where are you guys getting yours? I got two ea-ej swaps around the corner and no clutches:banghead:

Josh

#2 Prwa101

Prwa101

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 749 posts
  • Sandy, OR

Posted 04 May 2012 - 05:51 PM

I ordered a couple XT6 clutches through amazon the other day and got a email back saying that exedy discontinued part 15009, which is a XT6 clutch. The retailer was Performance Parts Place. I can go with a beck/arnley, but I haven't heard the best things about these clutches

If OEM clutches are exedy, that also means you can't get one from the dealer....where are you guys getting yours? I got two ea-ej swaps around the corner and no clutches:banghead:

Josh

Rockauto, I just bought the Rino one off them for 150$ but havnt got her going to know how goo it is. But beck and arnley I've heard good things about them. That's what I've seen most people buy.

Rockauto is where I buy almost all my random parts for cheaper than every where else. And they have codes for 5-10% off which makes it nice.

#3 Crazyeights

Crazyeights

Crazyeights

• Gold Subscribers
  • 1,019 posts
  • Pacific Northwest

Posted 04 May 2012 - 10:20 PM

I went with a Sachs XT6 clutch kit that I ordered locally for my EJ22 swap. Not enough miles on it yet to comment on longevity, but it feels/works great so far. GD has said just to buy the XT6 pressure plate from the dealer. I have no idea if they can still get them - pretty spendy option last time I priced it.

#4 T'subaru

T'subaru

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 443 posts
  • T'sunami Coast WA

Posted 04 May 2012 - 10:39 PM

I bought my exedy kit here. Might be worth an e mail to see if anymore are available.

http://subaruxt.com/...y 15009#p134788

#5 Numbchux

Numbchux

EJ conversion addict

• Members
  • 5,998 posts
  • Duluth, MN

Posted 04 May 2012 - 11:55 PM

I can go with a beck/arnley, but I haven't heard the best things about these clutches

I've had 3 of them, 2 behind EJ22s, and a third in an XT6. Loved 'em. Will be getting one for the brat!

#6 Gloyale

Gloyale

It's a sickness

• Members
  • 9,523 posts
  • Corvallis, OR PNW

Posted 05 May 2012 - 01:29 PM

I've had no problems with the 4wd EA82 clutch and the Flywheel machined to the XT6 spec. (shallower step, which makes the PP clamp tighter)

IIRC

4cyl vs 6cyl

.890 vs .815

#7 El Presidente

El Presidente

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 575 posts
  • Northgate/Seattle, WA

Posted 07 May 2012 - 12:59 AM

I've had no problems with the 4wd EA82 clutch and the Flywheel machined to the XT6 spec. (shallower step, which makes the PP clamp tighter)

IIRC

4cyl vs 6cyl

.890 vs .815

After talking around, I've decided to do exactly this. Do you by any chance know how far you can go under the .890" spec.? .075" under spec seems like a lot, when I planned to start at .010" under spec after talking with a clutch rebuilder!

Thanks for the input

Josh

#8 Gloyale

Gloyale

It's a sickness

• Members
  • 9,523 posts
  • Corvallis, OR PNW

Posted 07 May 2012 - 09:17 AM

After talking around, I've decided to do exactly this. Do you by any chance know how far you can go under the .890" spec.? .075" under spec seems like a lot, when I planned to start at .010" under spec after talking with a clutch rebuilder!

Thanks for the input

Josh

If he's an ARBA memeber he should have access to the specs for EA82 4wd and ER27(6cyl) flywheel specs.

JUst tell him to use the XT6 spec.

#9 El Presidente

El Presidente

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 575 posts
  • Northgate/Seattle, WA

Posted 09 May 2012 - 03:49 PM

If he's an ARBA memeber he should have access to the specs for EA82 4wd and ER27(6cyl) flywheel specs.

JUst tell him to use the XT6 spec.

I was asking if you knew how far under .890 spec you can go. I've gathered that .815 works on a ea82 4wd clutch, but I was looking for the limitations, if you've gone past .075" under.

I used to be an auto machinist and wouldn't consider taking anything to anyone that wasn't ARBA certified. Thanks for the help

Josh

#10 Caboobaroo

Caboobaroo

USMB Drunk

• Members
  • 6,905 posts
  • Oregon City

Posted 11 May 2012 - 08:01 PM

I used a Paraut disc and reused the PP and resurfaced the flywheel. Not entirely the proper way to do it but it seems to be fine. My disc was worn out but the PP surface looked good still. Got mine through WorldPac.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users