Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'84 EA81 Silver Subaru

My Subaru addiction struck again:)My intention was to find a beat up Brat to work on and to better my skills and experience with bodywork/rust repair so when the time comes I could properly fix my 86 Brat without being too timid.

I found an '84 GL wagon for cheap and I decided to at least take a look at it just for fun.

The car had sat for awhile judging by the amount of spiderwebs and weeds that had overtaken the engine compartment. The PO said 3rd and 4th gear was out. He seemed surprised that I asked to take it around the block told me.

I checked the oil and it was about a quart low.The EA81 fired right up with a bit of a tick and the tranny whizzed and grinded real loud.It did run in 1st and 2nd the I went to hit 3rd and it sounded horrible.

As I went back to 2nd I noticed the dash didnt have a single crack! this was a first for me!

I returned safely and crawled all around under the car looking for any extreme rust.The guy thought I was crazy.I

t was almost a deal breaker on the rust than I pictured the rusty Subarus back east and I had to appreciate what was in front of me.

Of course with the love for an EA81 I couldn't pass it up. Especially for the price. lets just say I could of driven it to the junk yard and made a $50 profit.

So the long journey home in 2nd gear began. It was a 30mi trip. I had to navigate some 55mph roads running 25-30mph. I felt bad cause I know I pissed off a few impatient drivers.

Sunset

FILE0648.jpg

I got home safe and sound.

Here is the parts car the transmission came out of.

Lucky I pulled the engine out last summer so the tranny removal took about 45 minutes.I was able to pull it out from the top

The hardest part was the linkage.I found an old blanket and used it as a sling. one person on either end.It was about a quarter mile walk through the woods.That was a workout!

Here it is sitting next to the car

FILE0652.jpg

That night I busted rump roast and got the tranny pulled. I usually work on cars for fun but I now know the meaning really working on a car.

FILE0658.jpg

Sleep.Dream Subaru.Wake.Coffee.Subaru.Coffee.

Swaped parts/brackets and clutch fork. And in went the tranny.

FILE0675.jpg

Honestly I kind of rushed it. I was stupid not to replace the clutch while it was apart but I had just spent most of my money.

FILE0665.jpg

FILE0677.jpg

FILE0680.jpg

FILE0696.jpg

The driveway is looking better

FILE0780-1.jpg

It now runs and is drivable but It sometimes has a bit of a stumble when you give it gas.

I will change the filters and hope thats it.

I changed the oil and it still has a slight tick to it.

Im pretty sure this has solid lifters so I will need to adjust the valve clearance.

It also sounds like the right rear wheel bearing is going out.That should be fun!

Hopefully more pics to come

Thanks.

Edited by 81EA81

Wow! Nice find. I'd really love to have an ea81 car. They're all so awesome.

Some day I'd like to get a relatively clean ea81 body and swap full ej driveline into it.

I usually work on cars for fun but I now know the meaning really working on a car.

Really working on your car means starting an engine swap at 7pm and needing to get to work the next morning at 6.30 am.

Or breaking down in the middle of a road trip, or being on a business trip 1000 miles away and trying to find somewhere to replace your clutch....

• Like 1

Really working on your car means starting an engine swap at 7pm and needing to get to work the next morning at 6.30 am.

Or breaking down in the middle of a road trip, or being on a business trip 1000 miles away and trying to find somewhere to replace your clutch....

ya, getting drunk with your friends on a road trip in florida and running into a parking meter across from the police station and putting a big hole in the radiator.

next day taking the rad out at the park and a couple tubes of weld and putting it back together.

selling your blood on a cross country trip back to california , partying all the way.

now , that's living.

Or breaking down in the middle of a road trip, or being on a business trip 1000 miles away and trying to find somewhere to replace your clutch....[ /QUOTE]

ya, getting drunk with your friends on a road trip in florida and running into a parking meter across from the police station and putting a big hole in the radiator.

next day taking the rad out at the park and a couple tubes of weld and putting it back together.

selling your blood on a cross country trip back to california , partying all the way.

now , that's living.

Yes indeed! There's a lot of adventure to bed had out on the road with cars. I just hope I don't run across any more of the "what the hell is that terrible vibration" situations at 1am 800 miles from home. Makes good stories later. It's almost funny looking back.

It's almost funny looking back.

Agreed, but when you pull into that gas station just off the highway and you're 3/4 of the way across the country from home with a car full of people and very overloaded with luggage/supplies/bikes, that moment is such a horrible feeling lol.

Looking back, it is funny. And fortunate, when it all works out. :-p

ShawnW,

I bet most of it was caused by those rocker panel covers.

Are you talking about the aluminium skins on the lower doors?

Thankfully this is the worst spot Ive found so far. Ill get more lovely rusty subaru pics soon

Im glad I didnt use the white lithium grease. Today some one else at Napa told me it will begin to melt down and sling out at 150 Deg F.I dont know if its true but he seemed more helpfull then the others yesterday.

Marine grease it is. I know it will see some water

I was able to get the bearings for the DOJ out no problem. I just needed to work it around a little more.

So between the spindle and the outer cup on the drivers side rear axle there is a little rubber spacer. Yet it is missing on the other axle. I will look on some old axles to see if they have em.

Thanks

Edited by 81EA81

• 1 year later...

Sorry, Im just trying to post a pic on the thread, not just a link. I cant figure it out.

got some pics. this is the start of a 4" lift. The rear is all bolted up and sitting on the ground. Im still in need of longer shocks though.

Imagine if I can get some FOX shocks under her.  it would look good.

I still have lots of work to do. I will be dropping the front today and measuring/cutting blocks up as I go.

I have no idea what to do about the shift linkage, ill worry about it when im looking at it.

any t.i.p.s would be helpful, thanks to USMB for helping me thus far!

post-24888-0-45419700-1382114625_thumb.jpg

post-24888-0-48628100-1382114640_thumb.jpg

post-24888-0-60710000-1382114654_thumb.jpg

post-24888-0-27724800-1382114671_thumb.jpg

post-24888-0-46646800-1382114681_thumb.jpg

Edited by 81EA81