Ultimate Subaru Message Board

idle issues

Okay here it goes well my idle on my 85' gl wont kick down to around 7-800 rpms and will only stay around 1,500-2,000 untell its warms up then it kicks down to 500 for one or two stops then after that it idles just fine to were it should.

so my question to the tech savy people on this for what should i do?

Best plan would be to leave well enough alone.

Things sound about right.

If you are concerned about the temporary 500 rpm idle and have an urge to tinker,I suppose you could adjust the choke housing a little richer so that the fast idle stays engaged a little longer.

I was having similarly annoying issues with my 1800 Sportswagon (EA81). It wouldn't stay in tune and idled too fast. The best thing I ever did with this car is acid-bath the carby. It turned the thing from sounding (and jumping around) like it had an old lawn mower engine under the bonnet into something that sounded like it was ready to rally. :D

Acid bathing the carburettor removes all the built up carbon that is clogging it and choking it up. It really turned my machine into something that sounded comparatively brand new, and I can't recommend it enough.

I'm in Melbourne, so I used Wilson Carburettor Service in Airport West. John is a genius. I watched him work on the carby on my old Kingswood the day I met him and the thing just fell apart in his hands, and then fell together again just as quickly (once he'd blown the bit of gasket out of the bulb, which had been causing havoc). Nice fella too.

Some kind of spray cleaner is it? I tried ... I think it was CRC Carby Cleaner. Some brand of carby cleaner anyway. Useless. Acid bath it. It will cost between $100 and $200, and your car will love you for it.

i guess ill take a look into it thanks

Well this went from an issue to a problem it wont idle while warm anymore and the only thing i did was change how the person before me hooked the power to the radio which was through the fuse for the choke and now it wont idle while warm and it runs rough when i keep it running with my foot