Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

1976 Ford Mustang Fastback Build - "Isabelle"

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 AdventureSubaru

AdventureSubaru

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 812 posts
  • Scotts Valley, CA

Posted 08 May 2012 - 10:06 AM

For a few years, I owned a 77 Coupe which I loved. I did a lot of restoration work to it, made it beautiful and loved it. It was a V6 auto but still had plenty of get up and go to it. I always thought about swapping in a 302 V8 and manual trans but never got to it. About 3 years ago, it was stolen out of storage and I have never stopped missing it.
Posted Image

Dang do I miss that car.

So a week ago I was browsing Craigslist and came across a 76 Mustang for sale. After a phone call and a drive into farm country I found this project sitting in a barn.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

It's a mostly complete 1976 fastback with T-tops, 302 V8 and 4 speed manual. Has 51k on the odometer. The floors/seat mounts need some weld work but for a midwestern car from the 70s it's very little rust to worry about. I purchased the car for a whopping $700. and it is now residing in my garage. The lady and I would love to have it complete and pretty in time to use it as a getaway car for our wedding. She promptly named the car "Isabelle" the night we unloaded it.

I'm not new to wrenching. But 90% of my automotive work has been on Subarus. So tackling a Mustang is whole new animal.

#1. I have a small mountain of parts and a jar of nuts, bolts and hardware. It will be somewhat of a puzzle to sort out what a few things are and where it all goes. Anyone have much knowhow on Fords?

#2. The car is mostly complete but I am still going to need a number of parts and would love some help in finding them. Trying to keep it a low budget project but I realize these cars aren't the most common things. If you come across one in a junkyard, or know a part source that would have used part, I have a shopping list.

#3. Tune up & mechanical. The engine has been out of the car for at least a year. I'm not looking to build a drag racing beast, but I'd love to have this thing running smoothly with that wonderful V8 rumble.

It's good to open the garage door and see a Mustang again. The Subarus don't seem to mind the old timer hanging around.

Edited by AdventureSubaru, 08 May 2012 - 10:08 AM.

#2 Loyale 2.7 Turbo

Loyale 2.7 Turbo

The Mighty "BumbleBeast"

• Gold Subscribers
  • 5,546 posts
  • Roatán, Honduras.

Posted 08 May 2012 - 11:14 AM

Nice Score! ... Posted Image ... Looks like a Fantastic Project, I Like it!

Keep the Photos coming here as you do any Progress.

Kind Regards.

#3 AdventureSubaru

AdventureSubaru

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 812 posts
  • Scotts Valley, CA

Posted 11 May 2012 - 10:48 PM

Unloaded and in my garage!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Seats in need of a little help, (or replacement)

Posted Image

Posted Image

The beast!

Posted Image

Thinking it's time for new rubber?

Posted Image

#4 AdventureSubaru

AdventureSubaru

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 812 posts
  • Scotts Valley, CA

Posted 10 July 2012 - 11:33 AM

Posted Image

$100. worth of parts from a local guy.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Just got a Haynes manual that should help speed the process.

Anybody seen one of these in a junkyard somewhere? I have a shopping list.

#5 TheLoyale

TheLoyale

Safariwagon: The Legend

• Members
  • 6,665 posts
  • Waukesha, WI

Posted 15 July 2012 - 11:36 PM

Thanks for telling me about this thread today! You got all that stuff for $100, wow.

Yeah it is kinda sad there is not as much of a Market for the II's as there is for all the other Mustangs. That Blue coupe looked awesome! Thats just like my Mom had (Except Bright Yellow and 4cyl)

Keep it up man! :popcorn:

#6 AdventureSubaru

AdventureSubaru

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 812 posts
  • Scotts Valley, CA

Posted 07 October 2012 - 07:55 PM

Much more coming on this car. After the wedding this will be getting much more attention. The shredded rubber is long gone.

#7 bonvo

bonvo

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 384 posts
  • LaPine, Or

Posted 20 November 2012 - 05:01 AM

never really liked these cars something about the body style bugged me but the idea of a 302 and a 4 speed in a light little thing like this is a nice idea

#8 spazomatic

spazomatic

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 345 posts
  • castle rock

Posted 21 November 2012 - 03:27 PM

Ah Mustang IIs. Fords redheaded stepchild. I never cared for how they look, but theyre actually very smartly engineered...and with a hot 302 it should boogy pretty good.

#9 turbosubarubrat

turbosubarubrat

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 1,021 posts
  • Sandy, OR

Posted 21 November 2012 - 05:50 PM

i dont really like the look either i like the fast backs that where around from 68-70 better but i would rather have a pontiac firebird, tempest, or gto

but keep us posted anyways let us see if you can change are minds

#10 TheLoyale

TheLoyale

Safariwagon: The Legend

• Members
  • 6,665 posts
  • Waukesha, WI

Posted 22 November 2012 - 02:22 AM

My mom had the coupe version of this car (Only the 4cyl) I like the Mustang-IIs, Especially with power!

The Corbra version of this car doesn't look to bad, check it out guys.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users