Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Redline Adapter Problem

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 ShawnW

ShawnW

Subaru Master Technician

• Administrator
  • 12,930 posts
  • Denver, Colorado

Posted 16 May 2012 - 06:40 PM

If anybody is thinking of ordering a Redline carb adapter, you might want to hold off for a little bit. Appears there was a packaging error on the EA81 version. You might get the right gaskets and the wrong adapter if you order one.

#2 ShawnW

ShawnW

Subaru Master Technician

• Administrator
  • 12,930 posts
  • Denver, Colorado

Posted 16 May 2012 - 11:47 PM

I will update as soon as I hear what the resolution is. This affects PN 99004.110

#3 kabarakh

kabarakh

USMB Regular

• Gold Subscribers
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • Bellingham

Posted 19 May 2012 - 07:50 PM

Eagerly anticipating info! I was fixing to order a kit and then saw your post.

#4 chrisb01440

chrisb01440

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • gardner MA

Posted 22 May 2012 - 10:12 AM

I take full blame for this SNAFU...... I ordered the redline kit yesterday so I believe this is the cause. I have yet to order anything online that showed up and was actually what I ordered LMAO

#5 TheLoyale

TheLoyale

Safariwagon: The Legend

• Members
  • 6,710 posts
  • Waukesha, WI

Posted 25 May 2012 - 09:36 PM

Does this also effect the Redline Weber DGEV kit on ebay for $320?

#6 VaporTrail

VaporTrail

Brattitude Adjustment

• Administrator
  • 11,150 posts
  • Central Iowa

Posted 26 May 2012 - 10:52 PM

Does this also effect the Redline Weber DGEV kit on ebay for $320?

I don't think so... the kit that went on Ben's car worked fine...

#7 TheLoyale

TheLoyale

• Members
  • 6,710 posts
  • Waukesha, WI

Posted 26 May 2012 - 10:59 PM

I don't think so... the kit that went on Ben's car worked fine...

Good to know, cause I will be buying one sometime soon.

#8 ShawnW

ShawnW

Subaru Master Technician

• Administrator
  • 12,930 posts
  • Denver, Colorado

Posted 27 May 2012 - 12:22 AM

I finally got the right adapter. I believe they are addressing the issue with parts on shelves but I would be sure to check to make sure you got the right one before you tear your car apart. Measure the spacing on the studs and compare to the adapter. I will post dimensions in the next day or so.

#9 ru'sdaddy

ru'sdaddy

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • appalachia,va

Posted 02 June 2012 - 01:13 AM

Hey you guys, I ordered the redline/weber (320$) kit off of ebay for my 85 hatch's ea81, and the adapter plate and gaskets didn't even come close! I bought and made gaskets and the adapter plate redline claims is custom to the ea81 was A joke. After calling redline and being reassured that I had the right plate, just because it did bolt up, the fitment began. I had to mark the adapter plate to match the intake opening and take A die grinder with A cutting bit and port match the two. If you mount it all up just the way they send it, (minus gaskets) then fully open both butterflies on the carb and look down the second venturi. I have installed three of these kits and the adapter plate blocks about half of the second barrel flow. also, they are jetted way to rich. I will have to say that I would buy the kit again just because I have learned what it takes to make this kit work. I just wish redline would own up to A pathetic kit and make it work without A ton of modifications. They need to make an entirely new kit, but I guess what they send is A start. I just hope ya''ll have A bunch of tools! GOOD LUCK!

#10 VaporTrail

VaporTrail

Brattitude Adjustment

• Administrator
  • 11,150 posts
  • Central Iowa

Posted 02 June 2012 - 07:06 AM

[quote name='ru'sdaddy;1112910]Hey you guys' date=' I ordered the redline/weber (320$) kit off of ebay for my 85 hatch's ea81, and the adapter plate and gaskets didn't even come close! I bought and made gaskets and the adapter plate redline claims is custom to the ea81 was A joke. After calling redline and being reassured that I had the right plate, just because it did bolt up, the fitment began. I had to mark the adapter plate to match the intake opening and take A die grinder with A cutting bit and port match the two. If you mount it all up just the way they send it, (minus gaskets) then fully open both butterflies on the carb and look down the second venturi. I have installed three of these kits and the adapter plate blocks about half of the second barrel flow. also, they are jetted way to rich. I will have to say that I would buy the kit again just because I have learned what it takes to make this kit work. I just wish redline would own up to A pathetic kit and make it work without A ton of modifications. They need to make an entirely new kit, but I guess what they send is A start. I just hope ya''ll have A bunch of tools! GOOD LUCK![/QUOTE']

that sounds about normal if you look from the top with no gaskets. They do add a bit of height to the over-all stack. on a stock subie (ea81) there is only so much height under the hood and the hitachi intake has a small opening, so it needs to reduce rather quickly from the weber size. I would suspect there wasn't a lot of time spent on developing the adapter. Just enough to get it out the door, and it's not like the market is growing :)

I've seen a double plate design like the ea82 uses, but I don't recall if it was any better or not flow wise.

#11 TheLoyale

TheLoyale

• Members
  • 6,710 posts
  • Waukesha, WI

Posted 02 June 2012 - 09:55 AM

So is there really no need to edit the parts they give you?

#12 ru'sdaddy

ru'sdaddy

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • appalachia,va

Posted 02 June 2012 - 02:31 PM

The adapter plate they send you is A good start, because it does bolt up. You will have to make your gaskets. Actually you can get A carb to intake gasket at A parts store if there is not one that fits in the kit. I had to make the carb to adapter plate gasket on all three kits I installed. The modifications I did to all three made huge improvement over just bolting on the kit. I did try it both ways and found A dramatic difference. When I installed the first kit on my 85 hatch, I only made gaskets to fit because I was very excited to get it on. I actually didn't notice how far off the adapter was when I was installing it. After driving it A few days and putting it in different situations, I was not impressed. I actually found the adapter plate blockage while checking to see if the second barrel was opening. That is how poor I felt it was running. After modifying tha adapter and driving it in the prior situations (before modification), I found out why everyone said it was the #1 mod for A ea81. It has better throttle response, smoother idle, and positively gave it more power. I also picked up better fuel economy. The other two conversions I did, (after my first), also made the same performance gains. I am certainly not A know it all, and I am sure improvements can be made on my installation process. I just wanted to give you my two cents worth from one person's experience. I hope this helps. GOOD LUCK!

#13 TheLoyale

TheLoyale

• Members
  • 6,710 posts
  • Waukesha, WI

Posted 02 June 2012 - 08:41 PM

Wow, that is good to know the adapter plate is that restrictive. I'll surely look things over when I get mine and make sure its done right.

Thanks for the info!

#14 ShawnW

ShawnW

Subaru Master Technician

• Administrator
  • 12,930 posts
  • Denver, Colorado

Posted 02 June 2012 - 09:00 PM

I have an account to get these a little cheaper than Carbs Unlimited if you want one let me know at RetroRoo link below.

The K730 Kit (ea81) is $339 on there plus shipping, I can do $311 plus shipping this month. I can use Priority Mail or Fedex to keep costs down and speed good.

The K731 (ea82 engine kit) is $329 on there, I can do the same at $311 plus shipping.

Can also separate the pieces out and do adapter plates or carbs only if needed. I got really ticked at Carbs Unlimited's customer service during the adapter plate problems and got a direct account with Redline Weber instead.

#15 benjamachine

benjamachine

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • Northern Virginia

Posted 05 June 2012 - 10:58 PM

Redline has practically no technical support. They give you a carb that you have to put on backwards (that the stock throttle cable won't reach) and say that's normal. My question is, what the heck was the point of getting a manual choke carb if you have to put it on backwards?! The power steering pump isn't even an issue then.

On the plus side, the adapter seems to work. Although I haven't checked throttle plate clearance yet. Oy.

#16 benjamachine

benjamachine

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • Northern Virginia

Posted 06 June 2012 - 12:00 AM

Scratch that... I looked down into the intake opening and noticed that it is all wet, with coolant. Those ************ty paper gaskets Redline supplies with its kit are no good. :banghead:

#17 benjamachine

benjamachine

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • Northern Virginia

Posted 06 June 2012 - 06:56 PM

Ok, here's the rub: There's a guy at Redline named Bud, he's the director of operations over there. He's great to work with (not easy to communicate with in writing, but a gem on the phone) and seems, unlike his mouth-breathing minions, to care about his customers. He will help you fix any problems you have with the Redline adapter/Weber conversion kits.

#18 Mykeys Toy

Mykeys Toy

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 2,000 posts
  • South Prairie, Wa

Posted 15 June 2012 - 10:40 PM

EDIT!

Nevermind potentially fixed. See my other thread for answer.

I don't suppose any of the kit problems caused a really high idle? 2500 and up.

Edited by Mykeys Toy, 16 June 2012 - 04:16 PM.

#19 benjamachine

benjamachine

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • Northern Virginia

Posted 18 June 2012 - 11:14 AM

I'm having the same problem! The idle is around 2,000rpm sometimes, and I'm getting really bad gas mileage. 22mpg on the freeway, going 70. It's not really all that much more power than the Hitachi, so that's not a good tradeoff.

#20 Mykeys Toy

Mykeys Toy

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 2,000 posts
  • South Prairie, Wa

Posted 18 June 2012 - 07:41 PM

Considering I screwed mine up looking in the wrong spot I cannot guarantee that this will solve your problem but ... remove your air filter and look down inside your carb and move the accelerator wheel just a little. If both of the butterflies at the bottom open up, your linkage nut is too tight and may need to be backed off one sixth of a turn... Mine was overtightened thinking that any play was bad but I now believe that the 1-2mm of play would be just fine since it is keyed and will not cause damage. That would explain the bad gas mileage because you would be into the secondary barrel when you shouldn't be. It would not surprise me if your throttle response improves as well if that is the case.

Mike

#21 TheLoyale

TheLoyale

• Members
  • 6,710 posts
  • Waukesha, WI

Posted 18 June 2012 - 08:55 PM

I am going to order the Weber kit off Ebay this weekend. I will install it and see what I find wrong with the kit, quirks and such, I'll then post them, and how to fix them.

#22 Brat78

Brat78

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • Richmond Hill, GA

Posted 21 June 2012 - 09:09 AM

I as well got the right gaskets/wrong adapter for my ea71 kit. The company did however overnight me the correct one which was nice.

#23 benjamachine

benjamachine

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • Northern Virginia

Posted 27 June 2012 - 10:49 AM

Ok, so the idle is good and the thing runs pretty decently. I ended up scrapping the redline adapter for a transdapt one-piece adapter. Less chance for leaks that way. The only real problems I ran into were that coolant hole in the top of the manifold leaked. I plugged it with JB Weld and aluminum, then RTVed the heck out of it when I re-re-re-reinstalled the Weber, and that seemed to take care of coolant and vaccuum leaks. The EGR is installed, but no vacuum lines are connected, so I suppose it's effectively blocked off. (This is an '86 EA82 GL wagon.)

NOW, the problem is that I'm getting 21-22mpg on the freeway and way less around town. What can I do to fix that problem? I've seen people post on here saying they've been getting 27-28 mpg on the freeway. The tiny, almost unnoticeable power boost you get from a Weber (it really just makes a lot more noise) is nice, but not for a 10+ mpg reduction in fuel economy.

What gives, any suggestions? I'm thinking it could be:

1 - jetting (I'm currently at sea level, but put 170/180 air correctors on there to lean it out at 5,000+ feet, where I normally live ... I should add here that I have no idea how to change any but the main jets).

2 - distributor - Does that dual port disty cause problems? Should I seek a single port advance from somewhere? The stock EA82 distributor seems to work ok.

3 - Fuel line routing: I have a main fuel line, a vent/return line going back to the tank, and I have the stock vent hose open. Should I plug the vent hose? I thought that would make the inside of the car smell like gas because of that vapor separator thing under the rear trim panel.

Any other ideas? Thanks, amigos!

#24 TheLoyale

TheLoyale

• Members
  • 6,710 posts
  • Waukesha, WI

Posted 27 June 2012 - 01:03 PM

Check out what I got today!

Posted Image

Got the correct adapter first time. And the adapter clears the butterflies plates just fine.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#25 ShawnW

ShawnW

Subaru Master Technician

• Administrator
  • 12,930 posts
  • Denver, Colorado

Posted 02 July 2012 - 11:08 PM

Does the Cumin help keep the mileage up? :Flame:

I have EA82 adapter in stock now, EA81 coming soon.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users