Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Jack stands

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 1-3-2-4

1-3-2-4

Subaru Mike!

• Members
  • 3,635 posts
  • Greenwich

Posted 19 May 2012 - 05:39 AM

I got these jack stands from HF the max lift is 24" I haven't raised my car up this high but should I still place them on the frame rails when removing the transmission?

#2 heartless

heartless

Do YOU Subaru?

• Members
  • 2,477 posts
  • Central Wisconsin

Posted 19 May 2012 - 07:11 AM

Jack stands should ALWAYS be placed under the vehicle frame if they will be supporting the weight of the vehicle.

#3 1-3-2-4

1-3-2-4

Subaru Mike!

• Members
  • 3,635 posts
  • Greenwich

Posted 19 May 2012 - 07:17 AM

That's where I always placed them but then again I was only lifting 16" I just wanted to make sure that was the most sturdy part since I have to back pieces away from the car.

#4 1 Lucky Texan

1 Lucky Texan

I read a lot about Subarus

• Members
  • 4,279 posts
  • Texas

Posted 19 May 2012 - 09:34 AM

somewhere I have a diagram that shows some other spots on a STI for jacks, but I have always used the jacking points on my 2 soobs

Depending on the design of the top of the jacks, I've read of people using hockey pucks to help prevent the 'ears' on the jacls from denting the rails. Dunno if that's a problem or not. I tried using some pieces of hardwood for a while, but have now given up and have some small dents from the jacks.

hockey pucks are not common here.

#5 1-3-2-4

1-3-2-4

Subaru Mike!

• Members
  • 3,635 posts
  • Greenwich

Posted 19 May 2012 - 09:44 AM

My frame rails are already screwed up from the last owner.. speaking of that I wonder if it's possible to bend them back so I can at least use the stock jack in the front safely? having said that I picked up the HF jacks with the jack covers so it should help a bunch, nice thick rubber.

#6 1 Lucky Texan

1 Lucky Texan

I read a lot about Subarus

• Members
  • 4,279 posts
  • Texas

Posted 19 May 2012 - 12:59 PM

My frame rails are already screwed up from the last owner.. speaking of that I wonder if it's possible to bend them back so I can at least use the stock jack in the front safely? having said that I picked up the HF jacks with the jack covers so it should help a bunch, nice thick rubber.

wow, wish I had known of jack covers.

#7 1-3-2-4

1-3-2-4

Subaru Mike!

• Members
  • 3,635 posts
  • Greenwich

Posted 19 May 2012 - 03:16 PM

wow, wish I had known of jack covers.

Yeah they should help out big time

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users