Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

The '86 Wagon

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#26 6 Star

6 Star

Boxer Nostalgic

• Members
  • 982 posts
  • South Seattle, WA

Posted 15 December 2012 - 07:36 PM

I can't have been THAT far off. It ran and gave me 25+mpg! :lol:

I won't lie and say I drove like Granny does either. That thing saw plenty of 4500 RPM shifts.

Nah it wasn't far off. In fact it was working fine the way it was, it just wasn't in the factory position. It will run facing any direction as long as the order is the same 1324.

That being said I thought I solved the problem when I switched it around. But the engine would still shake at idle. Then on the way home from the tree run the engine decided it would die whenever it was at idle.

So I did a bit of looking around for vacum leaks and found an un-corked vacum opening for (Idk what really, some accessory my car doesn't have). It was on the intake manifold close to the passenger side head. Closed that up and the engine idles really smooth now.

But as soon as I closed that vacum port, the engine developed a miss that doesn't go away throughout any rpm speed.
When left to idle at 1000 rpm, the engine will miss every now and then and eventually idle down and die just like on my way home from the tree run.

If I turn the idle speed up to like 1100 or higher the engine wont die, but it will still miss.

Also when I removed the airfilter cover the engine choked out and died. :confused:

I am getting spark to all four cylinders.

So I'm gonna look at a few things that the troubleshooting guide has pointed me to:
egr
pvc
any other vacum leaks there may be
fuel filter

If anybody has some ideas of what might be happening I'm listening. :)

Edited by 6 Star, 15 December 2012 - 07:41 PM.

#27 wentz912

wentz912

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 398 posts
  • Kelso, WA

Posted 16 December 2012 - 10:05 PM

I'd be halfway inclined to think fuel delivery, since when you give it more air, it can't keep up.

#28 6 Star

6 Star

Boxer Nostalgic

• Members
  • 982 posts
  • South Seattle, WA

Posted 17 December 2012 - 06:27 PM

Did some more tests today:

Disconnected the fuel line in the engine compartment and turned the car over, when I did this fuel came pouring out looking unrestricted. So by the looks of that my fuel pump and fuel filter(s) look fine.
*Is there more than one fuel filter on a carbourated ea82? There isn't one in the engine compartment.*

The engine really doesn't want to stay running when cold. If it is left to idle it will just choke out.
Once warmed up it is fine, the idle just has to be set at 1100 rpm.
However when the air filter cover is removed quickly it will kill the engine.

Is this my problem here?
http://www.ultimates...ad.php?t=135387

#29 6 Star

6 Star

Boxer Nostalgic

• Members
  • 982 posts
  • South Seattle, WA

Posted 21 January 2014 - 04:02 AM

This thing has been my amazing workhorse for over a year now.

Not much has changed since it is my daily driver.

The problems in the previous posts were vacuum leak related.

It is still as underpowered as ever, but after warming up it does just fine.

Here is a recent picture I took at work.

1546117_789292641087959_1540808725_n.jpg

#30 6 Star

6 Star

Boxer Nostalgic

• Members
  • 982 posts
  • South Seattle, WA

Posted 04 February 2014 - 03:33 AM

I got bored with the looks of the wagon and decided that I would play around and lower this thing for a little while.

This is a hybrid of stock ea82 front and rear struts with cheap Honda lowering springs.

The front needed a coil cut on each side to look even.

The original struts/springs are stored away for when I want to go back to stock ride height.

The pugeots wouldn't fit with the massive tires on them, so wagon wheels are on for now. I'm planning on throwing my Enkei 3F mesh wheels on here soon.

Here is how she looks after being all settled down. Please excuse the dirt lol there is construction happening on my street.

1797512_797622980254925_316461387_n.jpg

#31 6 Star

6 Star

Boxer Nostalgic

• Members
  • 982 posts
  • South Seattle, WA

Posted 27 February 2014 - 04:46 PM

Heres a recent picture of when we got a little dusting of snow.

1912265_810990585584831_1674958845_n.jpg

Also I have the Enkei 3F's on now, I like the way it ended up looking.

1904175_810990558918167_588345669_n.jpg

1932349_810990598918163_1878843800_n.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users