Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ej22 trouble shooting

shuff

ok well i have converted a vortex (xt6's smaller brother) from fwd ea82 to ej22 awd and all was well for a while.

now she starts and idles nicely, but hold the revs around 2000 or higher and it starts missing/studdering until the throttle is released, then it idles fine again. while this is going on (thanks to b10 scan tool) the idle air control valve throws a active fault, once the pedal is released and the idle returns to normal the code clears (well stays in the stored codes).

i have new leads/plugs, have changed coil pack and maf

today i have tryed;

2 tps-same result with both

2 iacv electric tops (base is free moving)-no luck

2 o2 sensors- my spare wasnt giving a reading but the result didnt differ

the only thing that gave some change was actually unpluging the tps, i could then hold the revs at any rpm.

so what could throw the iacv code? other then the iacv?

i really want this as a daily, it seems to have come on over time. not straight away.

here are some pictarsssss and my little vid (yes i know i have stuffed up my words *gauge instead of sensor/cant say diagnostic*) enjoy, and any help is invited.

524328_3072243454008_1501317691_32314589_587273932_n.jpg

29012012235.jpg

th_678de3a1.jpg

^^^^last ones a video

• 2 weeks later...

Use your scan tool to watch the TPS reading with the engine not running. You need to adjust the TPS so that it's zero'd with the throttle closed, and make sure it sweeps consistently up towards 100% as you open the throttle. You may have a broken wire between the TPS and the ECU. If the ECU doesn't see the throttle opening but the idle suddenly runs up, it assumes the IAC is acting up.