Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My 1989 Subaru XT6

Caboobaroo

June of 2008, I stumbled across my 1989 XT6 on Craigslist. No pictures were posted and after a few emails, I went to look at it. Thinking I was going to part it out on my drive out there in my '87 RX, when I got there it was in too good of condition and would feel bad if I did. Had an air suspension issue and a bearing noise in the transmission but after talking with the original owners of it, I drove it home for $200!

2909323140067339125S600x600Q85.jpg

That would be my sister's brand new 2008 Outback Sport in the background :)

Realizing I owned 3 cars and a motorcycle ('87 RX, '89 XT6, '85 GL turbo, and a '08 Yamaha R6) now while living in an apartment, I had to sell it a week after I bought it. Luckily, it went to a good home, Turbone's home. After a good polish, transmission swap and suspension conversion to standard springs and struts, he took it to WCSS10 and took Best XT/XT6.

6 months later, I had sold off the XT6, the '85 GL and sold off the drivetrain from the RX, I needed a car to drive during the winter, Turbone loaned it to me and I fell in love. I ended up getting it back shortly after from him (thanks Rob!) and started to tweak it.

Started by swapping my Enkei RPF1 rims onto it. Here she is with Rob's ebony collection.

2215028770067339125S600x600Q85.jpg

Then she went in for tint. Sporting 18% just for reference.

2832415590067339125S600x600Q85.jpg

I then swapped in some KYB GR2s in the front with the addition of some EBay coil over sleeves for an Impreza. Also now had tinted tail lights and front marker lights done with VHT Nightshade. Then she went to WCSS11 where she won Best XT/XT6. Again, with Rob's black RX.

2627232780067339125S600x600Q85.jpg

After that, I continued with regular maintanence as modifying my daily driver was not only a dumb idea but also expensive. Then right before WCSS12, she was involved in a hit and run incident while I was at my parents house, enjoying Father's day. I come home to this...

2926975450067339125S600x600Q85.jpg

:banghead::(

I stopped driving it after it started leaking a quart of oil in less then 500 miles. I also needed to do other work to it with the suspension so I made due. After a few shop changes, I found myself working for All Wheel Drive Auto, an independent Subaru repair shop. Lucky me:drunk:

Then I decided it was time to get moving on getting it ready to take to WCSS12. I did a full engine reseal with the last OEM engine gasket set in the US, along with new timing belts, rollers and tensioners. I even replaced the automatic tensioner for the driver side belt (thanks ShawnW!) with a new OEM one. A new clutch kit went in, water pump, serpentine belt, timing belt covers, and oil pressure sending unit I replaced the 3.90 converted clutch LSD to a 3.90 viscous LSD from a Legacy. Also did a full fluid change on it (transmission, rear differential, brake fluid with ATE blue, and Motul engine oil) the day we were supposed to leave for WCSS13, and she started having issues. Since it was a fairly long drive to the event, I decided to not go and risk having more issues on the trip.

I let her sit for a few weeks before I mustered up some will to go see what was going on. Finally had a Check Engine light illuminate and pulled a Coolant Temp Sensor code. Pulled the connector and it was pretty green so I cut it off and modified one to work. One thing I am lucky for, is my roommate who is also my coworker so we carpool to work in his '90 Toyota 4Runner so my car sits in the garage.

Anyways, since it sits most of the time, I've been doing a lot more stuff in regards to the suspension and brakes. Let's just say I will do a full update on it after WCSS14 this summer:headbang::headbang: Here's a picture of it with my newest Subaru that's been added to the stable, 2004 Outback Limited 3.0 sedan:banana:

2581261330067339125S600x600Q85.jpg

All of my pictures of the vehicle are on my Webshots location

http://community.webshots.com/user/caboobaroo

• 5 weeks later...

Oh I know! Rob and myself have an unwritten agreement that it goes back and forth between us so either way, it will always have a good home:-p

So seeing as I've been working on it on and off for the last few months, I decided that I would like to give in to what I've been doing.

The original brakes with slotted rotors was ok but she needed a bit more bite. I ended up trading some labor for a complete set of '04 WRX brakes. Did a few modifications to the rear backing plates to get them to bolt onto the car. I also mounted in a leather wrapped ebrake handle from a 2.5RS to give me a rear parking brake. I also upgraded the front end with '96 Impreza knuckles with new NTN wheel bearings and used '91 Legacy axles. I stole the KYB AGX front struts from my RX project (which I also got the knuckles from) and put them on the XT6 and boy did it improve the front end squish! They have a lot better dampening for my XT6 then the KYB GR2s I had on before.

I also sourced up some Speciality Products Company adjustable radius rods and mated them up with a set of Whiteline polyurethane radius rod bushings. Still need to get the car to the shop for an alignment and bleed the brakes before I can start driving it again. I will have more technical details on the work I've done once I get all the pictures uploaded. Also trying to get my hands on a set of KYB made Blitz coil overs before WCSS this year.:headbang:

very nice xt6 !! love what your doing with it

Thanks! With all the work I've been doing, I've also tried to keep it as clean and perfect as I can, down to the type of bolts holding the radiator fans in. I've sourced up factory hose clamps for everything and pretty much want to keep it "OEM" since I've been doing most of the upgrades with factory parts:D

I also have been working with a set of '09 WRX shocks to see what I can do to fit them:brow:

Thanks! With all the work I've been doing, I've also tried to keep it as clean and perfect as I can, down to the type of bolts holding the radiator fans in. I've sourced up factory hose clamps for everything and pretty much want to keep it "OEM" since I've been doing most of the upgrades with factory parts:D

I also have been working with a set of '09 WRX shocks to see what I can do to fit them:brow:

very nice touch with the oem parts ! they all ways fit and last very long high quality is a very good thing.

very nice idea on the wrx suspension should ride on rails after no ?

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't been able to take the car out yet but after I align it, I will get back with the handling update. Still needing to finish up some exhaust work and a few minor things. Also been working on my other project too since the weather is nice:D

Oh and I finally came up for a name for her.... Scarlett

• 2 weeks later...

Got a new Magnaflow muffler for Scarlett earlier this week from Summit Racing. I'm hoping this weekend I will be able to get it installed and finish up a few things like the larger master cylinder install and alignment. I did get the speakers replaced and rewired in the car though, along with recovering the rear deck lid piece in suede. Stereo sounds much nicer but while pulling the inside plastics to run the wiring, I realized she's got a few clips missing. No need to worry though, dug through my "junk drawer" in my toolbox and found some brand new clips:headbang:

I've also been looking at changing the wheels up to an 18x7 up to a 18x8 for the car but haven't really come across any that I like, besides some BBS LMs but a set of those are roughly $2500 :eek:

Woo lots done but still a few things left.

Got the car down to the shop today, cranked up the stereo and started rocking out. First, I got the brakes bled better then I did before and it seems to stop better. Don't think I'm going to upgrade the master cylinder to the large SVX one I have but instead get a 1" bore diameter for it. I think the larger one will go into the RX project when I get the Brembos sorted out.

I then got the parking brake cables routed and mounted properly, installed the SPC adjustable radius rods with the polyurethane Whiteline bushings and then aligned it. She's now has the same specs as a factory STi :brow:

Seeing as the shifter bushings blew apart shortly after I got the car back from Rob, I got a new set from the dealer and installed those today as well. It's so much nicer being able to know which gear you're in instead of playing the "Oh it feels like it might be in 3rd" game.

I still need to get the few items I need to install the muffler and then the interior needs to be finished but other then that, she'll be ready for WCSS this year. One I get settled back in Portland next summer, I will be fixing the body and then fully repaint the whole car:headbang: I hope by then I can find a JDM rear window and wiper for it because it would go great with the JDM decals I will have made:-p

Seeing te alignment was finished, I drove the car home from the shop on Sunday and realized there was another thing that needs some attention. I knew the steering rack bushings were pretty bad but now that I have the front end where I want it, its much more noticable. The fix?

Whiteline Impreza '93-'01 rack bushings which should be here in the next few days. I'm also going to be emailing Whiteline to see if they might be able to make me some larger swaybars for it.....:popcorn:

• 6 months later...

Well poop. Looks like Webshots went down and I lost all of my older pictures:mad:

Guess I will need to get more but here is one to keep you entertained:clap:

IMG188_zps4a4de453.jpg

More mods are to come, including a fully rebuilt ER27, MegaSquirt 2, ISC coil overs and more. :headbang: suspension will probably go through round two before the MS2 goes in. Once the MS2 is running good, then I will build the extra engine I have.

• 2 weeks later...

So a current, up to date maintanence/modification list :D

Drivetrain:

Fully resealed ER27

New water pump

New spark plugs, wires, cap and rotor

New clutch kit

New timing belts, rollers, tensioners, covers and serpentine belt

Motul 5w30 engine oil

Subaru Extra-S gear oil

New OEM shifter bushings

K&N drop in filter with Swiss cheez'd air box

Magnaflow canister muffler

1993 Legacy SS 3.90 VLSD

Suspension/Brakes:

2004 WRX front calipers, pads and rotors

2004 WRX rear calipers pads and rotors

2004 WRX rear backing plates, parking brake assembly, and cables

2000 2.5RS front brake hoses

2000 Outback rear brake hoses

2000 2.5RS leather parking brake handle

1996 Impreza front knuckles with new NTN bearings

Front KYB AGX struts with EBay coil over sleeves

Stock rear shocks with EBay coil over sleeves

Speciality Products Company adjustable radius rods

Whiteline polyurethane radius rod bushings

Exterior/Interior:

1987 RX side skirts and rear spats

Enkei RPF1 17x8 wheels in silver with 215/45R17 Toyo Proxes 4 tires

Smoked taillights

Hella Supertone horns

Hella E-code headlight housings with H4 bulbs

18% window tint

Modifications needing to be installed/finished:

'93-'01 Impreza Whiteline polyurethane steering rack bushings

1994 JDM WRX Nardi leather steering wheel

Super Pro polyurethane rear diff mount bushing

Super Pro rear trailing arm bushings

Super Pro front control arm bushings

Whiteline 20mm front/rear swaybar bushings

Whiteline transmission subframe polyurethane bushings

Cusco solid engine mounts and transmission mount

Stuff still to come:

Suspension/Brakes:

ISC coil overs

Whiteline Comp-C top hats

Whiteline roll center adjuster kit

DBA4000 rotors (F&R)

Hawk HPS pads (F&R)

Stainless steel brake lines (2005 Legacy GT fitment)

1" bore master cylinder (I have a 1 1/16" bore master but that's more for Brembos or FHI 4/2pots)

Drivetrain:

Full MegaSquirt setup (thinking of a MS3 now for better 6 cylinder operation)

Delta reground cams for the ER27

Wiseco custom spec pistons with new rings and pins (higher compression)

New rod and main bearings

Full port, polish and port match of the heads, intake and exhaust

New Mizpah lifters

Phase 1 transmission internals from a JDM STi with DCCD?

EJ clutch and flywheel?

Lots and lots more to come.

Edited by Caboobaroo

The 5w30 is just what I've been running but the car has maybe 800 miles on it since the engine reseal and has 2 oil changes in that time period.

It's sad as I don't drive it very much (carpool to work with my roommate and I have the Outback which the wife daily drives) but of course, I have been in a lot of close calls from people not paying attention. Last thing I want is some idiot getting into a wreck with me while I'm driving it.

I will hopefully get some more pictures uploaded tonight of the Nardi wheel that I modified the hub on to work on the XT6 :D

Got the Nardi fitted to the car and what a difference in steering grip there is. It's quite a bit harder then the squishy OEM one but its a perfect feel for it. It was not a bolt on modification like I was hoping. Turns out, the XT columns have different splines then the EA or EJ cars but no need to fear! Nothing a cut off wheel, a grinder, a welder, and a couple slower days at work can't fix.

Ended up removing the splined boss that is welded to the factory wheel, removed the same boss on the Nardi hub and weld the XT boss on. The XT boss needed a step turned into the end that fit into the Nardi hub but with no lathe readily available, I got creative with a cut off wheel to create the same step.

Factory wheel intact with original boss

IMG248_zps839a33b8.jpg

Nardi hub intact with original boss

IMG252_zps5ac98906.jpg

Nardi boss next to modified XT boss

IMG254_zps374d700d.jpg

XT boss welded to Nardi hub

IMG256_zpsb9a494cf.jpg

Turn signals even still work! I still need to modify the hole for the clock spring to come through the hub but then my horn will work again. I'm also locating the cruise control buttons from the column to the left pod. The contours of the pod are very close to those of the buttons so it will still retain an OEM look. I also have spares of pretty much everything for the car so I can return it to complete stock if I choose to.... But where's the fun in that?

Here's one more for today... Mounted on the spare column I pulled from the rafters.

IMG257_zps0a5a6a7b.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Had a chance to install the Whiteline steering rack bushings and the Nardi wheel. No pictures of the wheel in the car as there is a bit more modifying that needs to be done on the hub cover as to not interfere with the new steering column covers I have.

I can tell you though, after a touch up on the front end alignment in combination with the wheel and bushings, this car turns when you expect it to. The drive home from work after the install was incredible. Had a bit of a problem with over steering it a bit much as I was used to a shifting rack.

• 8 months later...

So it's been a few months since I posted in here last. Been busy but not with the car per say. My wife and I moved from Seattle, WA to Portland, OR in July, got married on the first of September and finding new jobs.

Now that we've gotten fairly settled, time for me to post up the next big step for Scarlett.

Done a lot of maintenance type work on it including another good used alternator, new power steering brushes, oil change, rear diff swap, new OEM rear diff snout bushing, polyurethane mustache bar bushings, and new pads with turned rotors.

For my birthday in October, I went to another XT member's house and picked up all the parts he had left from his XT6s. Ended up getting two ER27s, two XT6 5-speeds, two radiators, two sets of tail lights, two sets of fog lights and so on. The engines are the biggest thing that I was after, plus a transmission since mine is making noise.

643a4e61c4bf063939a947ed6da6942a_zps8dcd

The engine/transmission assembly in the foreground is a stock shortblock, fresh heads and Delta 272 torque cams. The engine in the background is a built shortblock (bored, Wiseco pistons, new bearings and such) with fresh stock heads and stock cams. The built shortblock has a blown head gasket into #1 so I need to get it torn down and assess the issue but I have a new set of OEM head gaskets sitting on my toolbox.

Now if I only had time... Just keep an eye out for my slow updates!