Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Plastic parts made

Sabaroo

Actually I have my own lic's of Solidworks & have designed for 20yrs using different CAD systems ie: Catia, Ideas, UGNX, Inventor, mechanical desktop, Cimlinc and a few 3D machining packages like Worknc etc...

Sweet!

I know that one hard to find part is the plastic that goes behind the inside lever to open the door in older Subarus. Mine are in great shape, but it seems like it would be a great project to mill out of black ABS.

I've had a lot or success making molds from silicone and then using casting resin to make parts. What you're doing is way better.

Sweet!

I know that one hard to find part is the plastic that goes behind the inside lever to open the door in older Subarus. Mine are in great shape, but it seems like it would be a great project to mill out of black ABS.

I've had a lot or success making molds from silicone and then using casting resin to make parts. What you're doing is way better.

Yeah I have made parts for my dishwasher, fridge, garage door, wife's craft stuff (OH GOD). In my business I have made a lot of inventions for people from concept design to working prototype. Made all kinds of automotive parts did a whole front fascia of a Honda b4. Made many fixture nests for Automotive parts instead of machining it. I also have a 3D scanner.

You need to post this over on the xt forum. This is an incredible resource for us without readily available parts. You could probably make quite a bit of money doing this too! I'd gladly pay you to make various plastic bits. Xt6 steering column covers for instance, those are next to impossible to find.

So actually .....what do I need to send you to have you make a couple sets for me?

You need to post this over on the xt forum. This is an incredible resource for us without readily available parts. You could probably make quite a bit of money doing this too! I'd gladly pay you to make various plastic bits. Xt6 steering column covers for instance, those are next to impossible to find.

So actually .....what do I need to send you to have you make a couple sets for me?

Well if you don't have a CAD model I would need the broken part. The machines need clean 3D data to make a part.

• 3 weeks later...

will abs be OK in a gas tank?

many folks are having to buy used - no telling how many folks were sold new - fuel pump assemblies, just to get a cap that ,with an o-ring, seals a chamber on fuel pumps.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=134056

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/110-gen-2-2000-2004/41182-symptoms-fuel-pump-o-ring-problem.html

Wow, that is awesome. unbelievable. that is awesome. i'm an engineer so i've done autocad/CATIA and find this fascinating, i had no idea this was possible or available. well done!

Im pretty darn sure you could sell a large amount of ea82 bodykits, ala RX/Loyale RS.
i doubt it would be a large number. it was attempted once and we had a committed (even partially paid) group at Subaruxt.com so you could investigate how many...5 maybe. problem is shipping and folks wanting different stuff.

the XT/XT6's have the steering column surround and also the stereo surround. they weren't a large production model and are now very old, but would definitely sell a few immediately.

Edited by grossgary

the XT/XT6's have the steering column surround and also the stereo surround. they weren't a large production model and are now very old, but would definitely sell a few immediately.

I have already sent him my steering column covers.:clap: we're working through how much itbwill cost to produce a bunch of sets.

will abs be OK in a gas tank?

many folks are having to buy used - no telling how many folks were sold new - fuel pump assemblies, just to get a cap that ,with an o-ring, seals a chamber on fuel pumps.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=134056

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/110-gen-2-2000-2004/41182-symptoms-fuel-pump-o-ring-problem.html

Dont think it would be to great for a gas tank as there might be microscopic voids in the plastic that might make the tank sweat fuel in time.

what are the size limitations be on that? dash surrounds for RHD subaru XT coupes would be very popular over here...

Most prototype machines have a work area of approx 12 x 12 x 12 inches but the joins are almost invisible and the joins are stronger than the part as I usually put in dowel points for alignment & strength and adhesive is used. I have made a paint mask for the International Lonestar model's hood that's pretty damn big all from CAD data. I have also done front fascia's of cars, the Hummer tool box, phoenix engine block as seen in previous pictures, done picadilly rails forearms for assault rifles,inventions, wind turbines for wind tunnel test, 3d art, medical prototypes etc....the list goes on.

so, this is a machine also known as a 'plastic printer' isnt it? Are the 'printed' parts very durable, like comparable to say injection moulded parts?

I would say 85% the strength of a moulded part, and one of the strongest materials out of all prototype media.