Ultimate Subaru Message Board

85 subaru brat oil pump

i am working on an 85 subaru brat 1800, it is leaking oil out of the front of the engine. i think it has to do with the oil pump, but the weird thing is it doesn't want to build oil pressure. i have replaced the mounting gasket, but my local auto parts store doesn't have the o rings for the oil pump. my local auto parts store doesn't have a oil pump either. does anyone have any suggestions? :confused:

Subaru dealers still carry the resealing kit, and pumps can be found on the internet. if the seals aren't holding, you won't build pressure. There is also the chance the inside of the pump is scarred or worn if this went on for a long period. Only way to know is take it apart and inspect.

• 2 weeks later...

update.

i went online and ordered a rebuild kit for my oil pump (it only took five min. to rebuild) and re installed but ended up being front oil seal.

thanks to everyone for your help.

p.s. i think the oil pump needed to be rebuilt anyway because as soon as i replaced after rebuild it actually built up enough oil pressure to start spraying oil everywhere (that's when i figured out it was the front seal).

the late model ea81 is hydrolic lifter type if oil preshure is low will tick thiss engine dumps off its exsess oil preshure through the pushrods and rocker assembly they put restictions in the rocker shafts to hold the oil preshure in the block the last one i had with low preshure had a bashed pan that had been pushed tight to oil pickup screen and was restriting the oil pickup screen

i noticed the ticking at first but now that i have replaced the front oil seal and ran it (and also got rid of the rats nest in muffler :lol:) they quit ticking and the engine defiantly has pressure now.

this car has sat for three years so i have a project ahead of me i need a new muffler, ball joints and to finish the weber swap someone didn't finish and it will be a runner.:Flame: