Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My first Subaru, and it is so great.

Just purchased a 2004 Outback and it is so fantastic I can't stop smiling. I am a l former Land Cruiser owner ('76, '93) and restorer, old BMW junkie (88 535is now sold off) and I just love this outback. It has 150k and looks and drives like it was built a month ago. I need to get another 100k out of it so I will be here a lot to learn and share. I do all my own repairs and maintenance so this board will be my lifeline. Howdy all! :banana:

I didn't get a car fax report prior to buying this thing, maybe I should have. I don't know. I have never have bothered with it but this thing is so clean I was just dying to know if there was something going on, like, this is too good to be true. So After i got it home I entered the VIN at the carfax site and it says there ar 34 records and for $40 I can see them. I am pretty cheap so I haven't done it. Would it make sense to do so or should I whistle past the graveyard?

Pete

I didn't get a car fax report prior to buying this thing, maybe I should have. I don't know. I have never have bothered with it but this thing is so clean I was just dying to know if there was something going on, like, this is too good to be true. So After i got it home I entered the VIN at the carfax site and it says there ar 34 records and for $40 I can see them. I am pretty cheap so I haven't done it. Would it make sense to do so or should I whistle past the graveyard?

Pete

Generally speaking, if you shop around you can get a single use autocheck for $10. Most of the records are title changes and such and mileages are almost always missing because no one seems to record/report them anymore. If you search around you might be able to get your autocheck for free. Best of luck with your new car from a current Subaru nut and former BMW nut (helped start the NJ chapter of the BMWCCA group in 1970 or so).