Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Doing Front Wheel Bearings , can't decide which bearing style to use

Okay so Thanks to The FNG with his pdf (that has pictures) of the repair manual's guide to changing out front wheel bearings I'm going get rid of the progressively loud roaring in the front.

Anyhow's I'm stuck between what bearings to get

http://www.fastenal.com/web/products/detail.ex?sku=4126203

http://www.fastenal.com/web/products/detail.ex?sku=0474397

Both are double sealed "2RS" although the second one has speed rating of 11000 rpm compared to 8000 rpm. The only other difference I can find is one says it's radial ball bearing and the other says ball bearing.

Late Edit: I forgot to say it is 1986 4WD GL Wagon

Edited by chaseman

Yeah they're the only bearing supply (apart from spendy part houses) in my town and I'm wanting to go for a sealed bearing. Well I usually love rock auto but it'll be cheaper with fastenal. Plus I'm not sure if you could get the sealed bearing from rock auto.

Mine are like the first ones with the black rubber seals. I got them from Mcguire Bearing and cost me $8 a piece and some change. They've seen lots of abuse turning 30" mud terrains on the trail and freeway and are still holding up flawlessly. You willn't find sealed bearings at any auto store like rockauto, napa, carquest etc..you have to go to an industrial supply/bearing supplier. If you decide to get normal unsealed bearings get them at the same place. Last I checked, unsealed bearings for a subaru run about $5 at Mcguire Bearing compared to $15 at rock auto and $40 at napa.

Josh

There any chance you can snap a photo of the order of assembly for everything that goes on the axle stub before the castellated nut?

Need to know in what order things go back on there now that I have the cone washer my car has been missing..

Also another note on those bearings , I think the picture may be wrong for the bottom link cause it says 6207 2RS which I though was double seal while there would be Z's in there for shielded ones like the picture. I dunno