Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1992 Legacy Sport Sedan. The sunroof will only operate part of the time. If the car is shut off, sometimes when you start it the switches on the sunroof control will actually work. The roof will open, close, or tilt open. But if I open it, or have it at tilt, and drive for a while, the switch will stop working. None of the buttons will do anything. Before, if I slammed the inner cover shut then it would make the switches work again... long enough to shut the sunroof but now its not working any longer.

Anyone else have problems like this before?

-Brian

Back a few years ago my wife's Toyota Cressida did much the same thing. The solution was a new sunroof computer, not cheap as I recall. Before you go that route, I would suspect that you might have a bad switch. If you can pop the switch out from its bezel and disconnect it, I would see if you couldn't spray in some electrical contact cleaner into it and cycle the switch several times to clean its contacts. Give it a few minutes for the cleaner to evaporate before reinstalling it and seeing if that will do the trick. Good Luck.

I have the same symptoms with my '90 Legacy. I can hear a relay clicking in the roof somewhere but no sunroof action. Wile watching the ammeter I see no deflection indicating that the motor isn't getting any power or motor is acting intermittent. Don't wanna pull headliner out cause I think I'll tear it all up. Let me know what you find.

Thanks,

Lefty42303

• 1 year later...

I have the same problem with my '90 legacy wagon. Anybody out there experienced this or found a way to fix it? The sunroof will work perfectly sometimes, and then not at all others. I'm assuming there's a short or bad connection somewhere, but I'd like to get some advice before I tear it apart. Thanks. Dave