Ultimate Subaru Message Board

rearview mirrors with Compass and temperature sensors

Stubies Subie

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yes that is what I did stock lego arm with female ball socket on gentex mirror with male ball joint.

driving around today I realized there was to much slack in the joint so after one layers of duct tape on the inside of the plastic spacer from the stock lego and two on the outside it finally held fast over bumpy roads and lots of bass. this small plastic spacer and padding is CRITICAL to it staying in place. otherwise it will fall limp and give you a nice view of your car's interior.

pics to come

Hmm so you can't use the ball joint from a stock legacy mirror on the Gentex is that right?

stock 95 lego mirrors work! stock 93 impreza mirrors wont. I'm guessing it was a generation change and not a model difference.

every subaru rear view I have seen mounts to the roof with the same 3 screws I had to use an impreza mirror in my legacy because when I bought the car it was missing.

I guess it is pertinent to keep old parts

• 1 month later...

Well we will see..

I'm looking at a mirror from a 2003 GMC sierra 2500

I don't think this model has the passenger air bag indicator? Or the On-star buttons? It is dual line..

The price I'm not sure if it comes with anything but the mirror.. It's like $40 at the yard. It would be cool to do that while I do the brakes and all on the car.

the 01-04 Outback (H6's anyway) are really easy to upgrade, the wiring is there since they come with auto dimming mirrors and they have a temperature display so there's no need to install that wiring/sensor.

i installed the version with auto dimming, compass and the programmable buttons for garage doors/lights. myself, my parents, and the in-laws all have garage doors, they have 3 or 4 programmable buttons on them.

the 01-04 Outback (H6's anyway) are really easy to upgrade, the wiring is there since they come with auto dimming mirrors and they have a temperature display so there's no need to install that wiring/sensor.

i installed the version with auto dimming, compass and the programmable buttons for garage doors/lights. myself, my parents, and the in-laws all have garage doors, they have 3 or 4 programmable buttons on them.

Yeah those were nice I remember the mirrors when they had On-star on them.

Too bad I gotta do all this stuff the hard way :cool:

I'm going to get the '02 Chevy Tahoe mirror I'm about to call the parts place now to figure out if it comes with everything (doubt it) or at the very least the harness plug.

*(edit) yeah no temp sensor.. but.. it's 76 miles out of the way or I can get one with the onstar one which is closer.. they said it's "loaded" but Not sure what it has.. But anyone know what button does what on the on-star mirror? I can't find much right now but still looking.

Edited by 1-3-2-4

Ahhh what a day... One place I went to (It was about 30 mi closer) said they had one from a '05 tahoe.. Well. It was loaded (I guess that means On-star) I get to the place and they said I would have to come back Monday.... MONDAY because it was not pulled off the car yet.. I was like I'm not coming back it was bad enough it took a hour and a half drive for 52 miles..

So I ended up going to the first place I should of went to before.. It was $5 cheaper $35 It's a dual line from a 2002 Tahoe and comes with the plug harness but no temp sensor so I have to locate one.. Which seems to be the hardest part.

If I do a window mount which mirror button fits this thing?

IMG_8303.jpg

Edited by 1-3-2-4

I ended up searching the part number on Amazon and the sensor came up (anything they don't have?) So that takes care of the sensor, and I found a plug that will work, still unknown what mirror button fits the closest thing I found was on this site and this picture.

gentexmirrorwedgebase.png

all GM mirror buttons are the same, if it's glued to the windshield, it will work, all the way back to the early 70's

real common in the old chevy trucks from 73 to the late 80's? I think.

It doesn't even matter what kind of mirror was glued to it.

I even had one in my old 74 Vega years ago

Ah cool did not know that.. then I will pick up one tomorrow.. I'm guessing one of those HELP! button's will do then?

Mine did not come with the screw to hold the mirror on when mounted but I have a huge bucket of screws so it won't be a problem.

AGGGGH!!!

Well I'm very sure I have the right button but you know how the mirror should have a metal plate that the mirror button locks onto? It seems like this one is missing..

To know for sure I'd have to see another Gentex-177 model to be sure but like the button moves about and all which is not good :(

I will get a picture or better yet a video

Yeah it for sure is the mount is not "fat" enough to mate with it.. the other mount that came in the pack fits better but hmm..

ended up just ordering a bracket from the chevy dealer which will be here Monday, while the other one fits it does not sit in the groove and I'm not going to rely on compression holding the mirror button in place lol.

btw the connector to the temp sensor is a PT248 plug

Edited by 1-3-2-4

The button is up on the glass just waiting on the temp sensor and the plug that goes to it.. I'm going to let it sit overnight before I mount, I had to pick the button up from the GM dealer just because the fit on that Dorman was a little off.

As far as you guys putting the cover back over the stock mirror location I take it you used some glue because it's impossible to keep the cover on without the bracket up because it snaps onto the bracket arm.

I have glue but I was just making that known.

The button is up on the glass just waiting on the temp sensor and the plug that goes to it.. I'm going to let it sit overnight before I mount, I had to pick the button up from the GM dealer just because the fit on that Dorman was a little off.

As far as you guys putting the cover back over the stock mirror location I take it you used some glue because it's impossible to keep the cover on without the bracket up because it snaps onto the bracket arm.

I have glue but I was just making that known.

I just watched your video, that button in the video is the wrong one, so apparently I was wrong what I said that all the buttons are the same, apparently they aren't.

I can take a picture of the button that came with mine and post it up here.

as for getting the pillar trim off, I haven't done that yet so i don't know, how ever, from doing some radio cable running over the weekend, I don't think it's going to be a hard job, but as with the button, "I've been wrong before"

It's ok I got the right button and when I got home I saw the other one that matches the GM but it was kinda different looking then what I saw in all of the pictures online.

As for the the trim I was told I have to remove the seat belt height adjustment and it should come off.

What I did not think to pick up (might be too late) I should of picked up a tap from the auto store but I can wait.

temp sensor works fine

This is the one I got for people that had a hard time trying to find one

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0031I9ZJK/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i01

DSC00508.jpg

DSC00507.jpg

Edited by 1-3-2-4

Mirror is up! I was going to put the temp sensor it in-front of the condenser but too scared the drill bit was going to hit it, so I ended up putting it in a pre-drilled hole.. it wont go anyplace since it has that lock tab.

I'm going to drive to the school if it's free to calibrate the compass and enjoy my new mirror :)

Glad the rain held off but sounds like it's going to get nasty later this evening.

*edit

wow the mirror fell off :-/

Edited by 1-3-2-4

• 2 weeks later...

Wife's '07 HHR has one of these mirrors, kinda like it.

Just may get one for the '88 Wagon.

TIP:

When you are ready to glue the mount button on, rough up the button and the windshield with some emery cloth.

No need to get carried away doing so though. Just need a small amount of roughness.

I fold the emery over the tip of my finger, put it against the glass and do a few twists of the fingertip. Same with the button.

Clean the roughed areas with some rubbing alcohol on a papertowel. Let dry.

Apply adhesive, place button and tape it in place, let sit overnight.

I've had to remount many a GM mirror over the years, and found the above to work the best.

• 1 month later...
Why my mirror fell off was because they say you only need one drop but I really needed two-three I let it set for about an hour or two and I placed the mirror up and it's been up ever since then.

when I originally put my mirror on, I glued the button to low on the windshield and the mirror looked kinda funky hanging half way down the windshield, so I took a putty knife and a hammer and gave a few good whacks to the mirror button and it finally broke loose but it was anchored on there pretty good.

on a side note, my ex wife just wrecked her Monte Monte Carlo and she had it towed to my house so I could junk it out for her and it had one of those mirrors in it, but the mirror in the Monte Carlo even had dome lights in it, I took the putty knife and a hammer to it and it came right off, of course she don't know I stole it, so hush is the word ok?

now I got a spare mirror to put in something, either the Legacy or the pickup