Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1979 Subaru BRAT --- PDX

Reza

Just picked up this brat from a craigslist deal in BEND, OR. some may have seen it online but it was I! whom purchased it. It needs a lot of work, mostly electrical, but there is no cancer on it. Came with a couple of boxes of extra parts, doors and a hood as well. Will periodically update on my progress.

anyway here is the machine.

brat.jpg

DSCI0072.jpg

DSCI0071.jpg

DSCI0069.jpg

Edited by Reza
  • Like 1

Yeah, It has the 5 speed and dual range, though I'm not sure if this is going to work. I might end up swapping for the original engine and trans. I truly like them stock and simple.

In fact if someone wants to trade local Id be down for the engine/trans. I know people are always trying to upgrade.

Also If someone could give a rough estimate on the Value of the Pugeot wheels? Im not really a fan and would prefer a stock set.

thanks

Edited by Reza

Id say depending on condition and if you include the lugnuts they are anywhere from 175-250 and if they have good tires + $$$ :D

Why dont you like the EA81 and D/R? My 84 DL had an EA71 and I hated it.... GD and I swapped in an EA81 outta a BRAT and I LOVED that thing... buried the speedo (85+) which I hadnt been able to do with the EA71. Mine was 5 speed FWD though, not 4 speed d/r

I've never been a fan of aftermarket wheels, I don't plan on off roading it. Bigger tire and wheel combos usually put added stress on the transmission wich leads to premature wear. Also the e81, I know that it's an improvement but being that the 79 brat is my dream car, I'd rather have it powered by a 79 engine and transmission. enjoy the car for what it is, and was.

Edited by Reza
  • Like 1

Nice and i agree... keep it stock the way she was if thats what you want. Its too nice not too. You can always find another beater brat to mod up for off road and more power but when you have one this sweet keep it as stock as possible....:clap:

I agree with Wentz912, I plan to keep my car's wheels about the same... 205/60/13 will give me about the same as my 185/70/13s....

My 195/60/15s were bigger, but I loved them :headbang: and it was AWESOME to go back to 13s... I felt like I had a turbo cuz I wasnt pulling the bigger wheels... I couldnt burn the 15s into 3rd like I can with 13s.

But, much respect for making it more original than modded... full restore in future :clap::headbang:

My morning started off with this, a $350 craigslist score sitting in my driveway. Believe it or not this is a solid, mostly rust free runner. Getting a move on.

DSCI0104.jpg

DSCI0103.jpg

DSCI0102.jpg

DSCI0101.jpg

Edited by Reza

• 2 weeks later...

Some things I got done,

swapped the engine trans and driveline back to the original EA71

swapped the whole wiring harness with a non butchered replacement.

got some stocker wheels and tires on

UN-rigged some bastardized engineering. concerning fuel lines, and name anything else.

got it running pretty nicely, still needs exhaust to test drive.

DSCI0110.jpg

DSCI0107.jpg

feeling like a chump without jump seats though, gotta get on that :horse:

Edited by Reza

looks good i can agree with what u have done because this one looks like a good solid one:clap:, but i would get a dual range 4 speed and put it in. but my 85 has a reconstructed title(totaled) but cant really tell its been rear ended very easily only damage was bumper and a little behind that. so im going to put ej, ee diesel, or put on a frame(chevy luv, bronco 2, or toyota) on it:headbang:but thats when im older and more money:(

Right on man! I've learned that as long as the stuff is recycled within the community of enthusiasts, Its all good when its said and done. no matter what kind of swap you are doing, there is always someone looking, or needing the parts you are going to discard. in the case of the EA81 and 5speed, it will be going to a guy in Bend, OR. KEEP EM ON THE ROAD!

Originality Rules, i have to say seeing modded subarus is not my thing unless they are lots newer, the older they get the rarer they are and harder to come by, which means if you've modded one that is one less original. plus originals will in the end bring bucket loads more money when they are TRUE collectors items. Anyways guys gonna be posting a few pics of my 79 Brat on here...:headbang:

Scottie