Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Long time Subaru owner but I have been out of the game after being burnt with my 2000 Outback and its issues. I am looking to get back into it. Dealer has a 2005 Legacy Outback 2.5XT with 5 spd trans. 115,000 miles. It doesn't look bad in the pictures and it has a fairly decent maintenance record on the Carfax. The salesman called and said it is probably a car they will be shipping off to auction. If the car is sold outright it is going as-is. He made the car sound pretty beat. He wouldn't give me an outright price but told me to come take a look and make an offer.

How is the track record for these cars? I am drawn toward the turbo and 5 spd but have been out of the game for a while. Was the headgasket issue cleared up by 2005?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Long time Subaru owner but I have been out of the game after being burnt with my 2000 Outback and its issues. I am looking to get back into it. Dealer has a 2005 Legacy Outback 2.5XT with 5 spd trans. 115,000 miles. It doesn't look bad in the pictures and it has a fairly decent maintenance record on the Carfax. The salesman called and said it is probably a car they will be shipping off to auction. If the car is sold outright it is going as-is. He made the car sound pretty beat. He wouldn't give me an outright price but told me to come take a look and make an offer.

How is the track record for these cars? I am drawn toward the turbo and 5 spd but have been out of the game for a while. Was the headgasket issue cleared up by 2005?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Check out the driver's side HG at the rear bottom and you should see oil seepage. Both of my 05s (legacy and OBi ltd) have this issue. Seems suggested "maintenance" is to do the HGs with the 105,000 mile TB.

Check out the driver's side HG at the rear bottom and you should see oil seepage. Both of my 05s (legacy and OBi ltd) have this issue. Seems suggested "maintenance" is to do the HGs with the 105,000 mile TB.

Not with the turbos like his motor is. They don't have the hg issues that the N/A's do.

Hi,

Similar EJ255 engine as in my '04 Forester, which I just had rebuilt @ 180K. #4 cylinder is a common failure point as the piston ringlands crack and require replacment - doesn't require a rebuild, but lots of labor.

As stated, check the DOHC timing belt - actually EXPECT to change it @ 115K, unless it's documented. Might show up on the Carfax/Autocheck the dealer can run for you.

The turbos have a propensity to go @ around 150K. I've read numerous thread about the TD04 and VF40s blowing seals well before 200K - Go read up on SubaruOutback.org.

If it IS 'beat' then I'd be weary that's it not been maintained - but more depends on how the car looks/runs.

If you can determine that the car is unmolested/stock, you might give it a go; I personally will no longer buy a used, modded, turbo car - of any brand....FWIW.

GL,

TD

Edited by wtdash