Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Aftermarket Cruise Control on an 87 RX turbo

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 greggbrat

greggbrat

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 263 posts
  • Denver Colorado

Posted 27 March 2004 - 10:30 PM

I want to put cruise control on my 87 RX turbo but I have heard that turbo manifold vacuum turns into positive pressure when the turbo kicks in and makes it unusable for most cruise control units.

Now the questions is......how can I do it? I am not very knowlegeable about the inner workings vacuum on the RX but I thought there was a small vacuum pump under the hood near the passenger side strut tower......if that is the case can this be used to run an aftermarket cruise control?

And does the 87 RX use a vacuum assisted brake booster?

Hopefully this makes sense to someone because I claim total ignorance on this subject.

Thanks,
Gregg

#2 subaru_styles

subaru_styles

the 1st RX wagon!

• Members
  • 1,696 posts
  • OMGhi2U in da couve

Posted 28 March 2004 - 12:19 AM

make sure to wire it right! ive seen a few cars with owners always having a dead battery. got checked out and that little aftermarket cruise control parasitic draw keeps draing the battery. installed by non metionable stereo shops

#3 greggbrat

greggbrat

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 263 posts
  • Denver Colorado

Posted 28 March 2004 - 02:43 AM

I do know all about electrical.......I will make sure I wire it to a source that turns on after the ignition is on. Thanks for the heads up.

#4 camosuba

camosuba

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 137 posts
  • Brisbane Australia

Posted 28 March 2004 - 04:04 AM

you could source a vacuum pump from a legacy they have them for the cruise independant of the manifold n/a or turbo

camo

#5 greggbrat

greggbrat

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 263 posts
  • Denver Colorado

Posted 28 March 2004 - 09:09 AM

I did find an EA82 Turbo Wagon GL in the junkyard that has cruise control. (not sure if its factory or dealer installed) Would this vehicle also have a separate vacuum source for the vacuum pump? Or did it just tap into the vacuum pump above the passenger strut tower? My turbo RX has the same vacuum pump (above the pass strut tower) as the turbo wagon in the junkyard.

#6 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 20,280 posts
  • Portland

Posted 28 March 2004 - 01:24 PM

A lot of EA82T's, and even some EA81T's came with CC. I have an 85 wagon right now with CC. Works great I might add.

GD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users