Ultimate Subaru Message Board

99 OBS to similar year Lego-OB trans swap Qs

blk99obs

So I've been happily driving the OBS around lifted and so far so good, only issue I've had is one of my CV boots went and is spraying my exhaust with grease so it stinks like sulfur... I would be concerned about it, but the CV on the other side has been blown since I've had the car and long before any mods, so I think it was just a matter of time.

This car is amazing now, I went back on the roads that worried me before, and made me want to lift in the first place. Now the imp is more than capable of handling them without me cringing the whole way haha. :headbang:

Really my only issue with the car now is that it is under-geared, and the clutch seems like its on its way out so... Time for a 4.111 geared tranny!

I went to the junk yard and looked at the subies, there were no more fozzys, no imps, 2x 2000 lego outbacks, a 99 lego outback, and I believe a 96 lego outback.

So I was about to get a tranny when I popped the hood and realized that all of these cars have a hydro clutch! I seem to have run across a discussion before where people were saying you could put the cable bits on a hydro tranny. can't find that info now though... Anyone confirm?

Also, I was curious if the CVs from any of these would work in my ride? If so, are there any that would be even better than stock for any reason?

I forgot to check when I was there, anyone know if those legos use electronic VSS? as I believe I'm also cable in that dept too...

So assuming my 99 imp is a push clutch model (think I remember that) any of those rigs should work yea? just snag the trans, diff? shouldn't need the clutch/fly right?

Are there any techniques for testing a tranny thats sitting in a broken down car? would be cool if I had a way of measuring the health besides seeing if it feels smooth putting it in all the gears.

Sorry about the million questions, just basically trying to make a parts/to do list.

Thanks very much!