Ultimate Subaru Message Board

subaru brat 1985 restoration

turbosubarubrat

put the the third eye on today i customized the radiator support by drilling the spot welds out of the stock one and cutting the top of it off to make the third eye bolt on like factory all i need to do is wire it up and i cutt a whole in the grill so its a 5th eye, my dad was finally able to help me yesterday and got the motor back in:headbang:so i hooked up a bunch of stuff but one of the exhaust studs broke:mad:

Edited by turbosubarubrat

still need help wiring the third eye i have seen all the third eye, passing lamp, center light, center lamp, ect. on this sight but haven't found any that really helps me actually wire it the one on indeys world was somewhat helpful but it doesn't explain where you put the wires very well and where to hook the wires for a toggle switch help is very much wanted!!!:popcorn:

besides that, pics update tomarrow, i gutted out the interior after a mouse got in:mad:and stuck it up really bad it left a trail in the whole cab and even under the carpet:eek:im mad how it chewed a whole in the plastic piece by the seat belt, while im in there im taking the rust out with the stink, and fixing stuff, also i have got the winch bumper almost setup

Plans are to finish up body work, take off rear bumper, and fill in the dents with bondo from privious owners rear end accident. fill in the the dents on the door and fender, finish tail gate, tackle the wheel wells, finish interior wiring the radio, and customize the center console to have a piece of plated aluminum go over where the electric window controls went. I'm going to have toggle switches hooked up there for the third eye, kc lights, and another set of lights, convert the rear brakes to disk brakes that i got off a gl-10 wagon, prime the whole thing and get rid of all rust then paint:Dand undercoat the whole bottom:headbang:

• 4 weeks later...

535569_208451205956692_649164881_n.jpg

Could just be a Salt-Belt issue, as they do like to dump salt on the roads here.

But I have had quite a bit of trouble due to corrosion with those connectors.

I would make sure the connections are clean, then pack them full of dielectric grease.

May save you a headache or two down the road.

Could just be a Salt-Belt issue, as they do like to dump salt on the roads here.

But I have had quite a bit of trouble due to corrosion with those connectors.

I would make sure the connections are clean, then pack them full of dielectric grease.

May save you a headache or two down the road.

thanks for advice i used some electical cleaner already on some connections but that wasn't the problem i took apart the tail lights and drivers side had a bad bulb on top also was missing one on bottom and passenger side had no bulbs so i used my bulbs out of my old tail lights and that fixed it, i also don't have the problem with the roads being salted where i live:banana:but there is talk about them starting:banghead:

Looking good. I've seen a vid on YouTube of your brat I'm pretty sure. So what's the third eye used for? It looks pretty neat.

yah i have some videos on youtube of my brat and my dads haven't done made some in awhile but im going to after i paint mine, the third eye is used for helping the main head lights on the 81-82 brats, 80-82 hatches, 80-82 wagons, not sure of sedans, but it was made for the head light set up for 1 on each side to help with the high beams not the 2 head light setup when i get the headlights and buckets for the 1 headlight set im going to switch over. it doesn't really a have a purpose but i think its cool so i put on because its rare and and makes mine unique because 85's didn't come with them they also didn't come with the rear seats or roll bars

'85 was the last year for the jumpseats, mine has them factory.

'86 and up didn't have the jumpseat option.

Also Brats only had the centerlamp in '82, the first year of the second generation Brat.

I need to tackle the rust in the rear wheelwells like you are doing, I can see some rust eating through the paint on mine.

• Like 1