Ultimate Subaru Message Board

subaru brat 1985 restoration

turbosubarubrat

'85 was the last year for the jumpseats, mine has them factory.

'86 and up didn't have the jumpseat option.

Also Brats only had the centerlamp in '82, the first year of the second generation Brat.

I need to tackle the rust in the rear wheelwells like you are doing, I can see some rust eating through the paint on mine.

my brat has the factory plate on it saying its a 85 but its titled as a 86 so no factory rear seats where a option for it:(

and the first year of the 2nd generation brat was 81 and they came with the lamps in 81-82

yah these have bad places to rust, its from the bad design it makes dirt/stuff get stuck up in there which almost never dries out hear in the northwest causeing the wheel wells to rust out, i hope yours turn out good when you do it i just started today welding the drivers side back in and its tricky getting it to fit good im finding cutting the top of it in couple places helps and so does a vice to shape the curves and especialy a hammer:D

the first year of the 2nd generation brat was 81 and they came with the lamps in 81-82

You must be talking about 1981 production for 1982. (How car companies come out with next years model half way through the year.)

It was a 1 year only thing, that I know for sure.

I wish I had kept mine... It only needed an engine and a paintjob. :banghead:

Nice progress with the welding. :D

Looks great!

I just did the same wheel well treatment on my '86 brat

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=136476&page=6

Are you welding up the other side of the plate too or using something else to keep water out? I coated it with polyurethene roofing sealant. We'll see how that holds up...

im using 3m undercoat and im going to spray the other side but i want to weld it all the way on first because it could light on fire because undercoat is flamable and thats why i had the green house fire estinguisher right in the bed of the brat because the coat on the support was still a little wet in spots, i've been watching your progress on your brat since page one nice job:)

Have you tried the grey paint remover wheels for a grinder? I used them on my civic only took three and they didn't leave as bad of grooves as the sanding wheels and I thought they seemed a little quicker.

can you give me a link to paint remover wheels? im interested, i didn't see the paint removing wheels at harbor freight but i'll ask someone next time im in there because that stuff does't last long and you can buy alot of that stuff supper cheep

can you give me a link to paint remover wheels? im interested, i didn't see the paint removing wheels at harbor freight but i'll ask someone next time im in there because that stuff does't last long and you can buy alot of that stuff supper cheep

I love hf for that reason lol. I think I actually got them at harbor freight and one at home depot. Don't get the ones for a drill they don't spin fast enough. Make sure the rpm limit matches your grinder or is rated for a faster grinder then the one you use.

• 1 month later...
Nice! I wish I had a space like that to do all my work.

yah its nice especialy during the winter or when its raining or even long projects. have 6 project subies which is going down to 4(selling a loyale and 78 brat) that will give more money for the projects we are are keeping:banana:but we have 17 cars and are planning on getting rid of at least 4 but the 68 gto is definetly staying. as well as my brat especialy when you have over 300 hours into your first car you know its staying around a long time:D

tomarrow im going to be finishing up the body work and get more sanding done and maybe a coat of primer. since i finished the exhaust repair i hope to get some stuff done:brow:the repairs were drilling the broken stud out then tapping in the threads and welding a leaking spot just above the weld before the cat. (it was rip from the metal stretching i guess when the brat was rear ended). also i finished taking her apart to paint so i started taping things off.

pic update sometime soon.

tomarrow im going to be finishing up the body work and get more sanding done and maybe a coat of primer./QUOTE]

turns out i lied:rolleyes:i went to the junk yard instead and did some major scores:headbang::Flame::cool:i got the whole headlight asemblies for the head light swap(going back tomarrow to cut out parts of the support), tons of the plastic pieces that hold on the outside trim and door cards, the chrome tail lights and electric window switches for the turbo wagon, rubber stoppers for the hood, 2 emblems with the stars, and where also getting a dual rang 4wd trany for the loyale it wasn't going out well and it was near closing time so where going back tomarrow.

• 4 weeks later...

quick update i traded a brush guard with pooparu for a set of white brat stripes:headbang:. i have put the brat out of the way for now, while im putting the wagon back together to either sell or keep i dont know it just depends on how much i like it or how much i dont. it might just turn out to be a winter project and ill let her go to a good home.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

went to portland yesterday after giving a call to a guy on craigslist on his brat rear seats with  frame and head rest for $75. after getting there the guy said i could have them for $50 :)there dirty but will clean up, one seat has bike handels on the bars, and one head rest has a warped plastic piece(nothing a heat gun wont fix).

• 2 weeks later...

my craigslist add is paying off again :D im getting a factory winch bumper, a set of wheels that are black/crome calmasters? and tires, ea81 motor, radiator, grill, head light bezals, third eye, and a the factory 82 owners manual for only $175 :headbang: and possibly more :brow:

Edited by turbosubarubrat

The stuff i got :) they guy said it came off his 81 wagon rally edition that got hit in the rear. my dad wanted the motor so i only had to pay $95 and he payed $80 for a motor that that was pulled 2 months ago, running, and non-smoking with a new clutch.

156871_275947059207106_940819675_n.jpg?oand back to parts sorting

579609_275947495873729_1195669435_n.jpg?

i now own one of the rarest factory brush guards now :D but it needs work

564047_275947712540374_1308158033_n.jpg?483874_275947599207052_2021381980_n.jpg?1984_275947749207037_1337420497_n.jpg?oh537388_275948122540333_878154479_n.jpg?oand my rims

72834_275948269206985_1808080419_n.jpg?o

563952_275948295873649_639026453_n.jpg?o553953_275948482540297_923029448_n.jpg?o

hording?

547554_275948515873627_1623146383_n.jpg?

Edited by turbosubarubrat
  • Like 1