Ultimate Subaru Message Board

to XT turbo or not to XT turbo

Hey guys. Id like opinions from you experts. A 85 Xt turbo caught my eye last year when it was sitting in front of a house downtown with a forsale sign on it. I didnt know what it was until I looked. Well nearly 8 months later, the car is still there and the price has drastically dropped. The guy just wants the car gone. It has 128,000 miles on it. The body has no dents but a few rust spots. There is a nice size rust spot around the right front wheel well on the bottom. Apparently it runs nicely, but the battery has died over the winter and he has yet to recharge it. Im 17 and this would be my first real car outside of my parents cars. He wants 500 bucks for it and Im pretty sure its worth it. What really caught my attention was the all wheel drive! I had a GMC Safari van with AWD and it was nearly impossible to get stuck. Id love to bog around in the trails with the xt when I got it. What Id like to know is if this sounds like a fair deal and if there are any other things to look for before I get serious. Oh and he also says that there is a click in the left front half shaft. Is this common? If so, is it an expensive fix? I plan on getting all new tires and giving it a fresh set of plugs, wires, and the usual oil change and tune up before I take it anywhere. Ive been reading that the cars are very reliable. Is this also true? Again, what should I look for?

Thanks in advance to whoever replies! :)

Being an 85, it will be 4 wd, not AWD.. still cool though. and better for bogging around in the trails:)

Is it a stick or auto?

the clicking axle can be remedied by putting in a new one.. they can be had for about $55 at www.cvaxles.com

Check for maintenance.. the timing belts should be changed every 55k or so.. while doing that, its a good idea to do the water pump too.. and cam and crank seals if they are leaking..

Lifter tick is common.. 2 major causes are old oil pump gaskets, which can be dealt with while doing the timing belts... and crud build up in the lifters, which can be dealt with by flushing with your favorite brand of detergent.

if it runs well, and is in decent shape.. for $500, I say go for it.. you live in the rust belt, so its doubtful that you are going to find a completely rust free soob.

btw since calebz is not very clear on it :)

when he says detergent he means some form of oil additive that will break down the gunk and let it be drained on the next oil change

and not laundry detergent .. silly calebz hehe

stuff like marvel mystery oil , seafoam , automatic tranny fluid works also ,

lets see what else.... there are otehr specific brands

but usually walk into your favorite parts place tell them you have a car that needs some kind of engine flush type junk for the oil and they will have a few suggestions

i think most of use use marvel mystery oil or seafoam but i could be wrong

i know i use the marvel stuff and seafoam :)

btw seafoam is a brand name but they have many products like for adding to gas to clean injectors ,adding to oil to break loose the gunk stuff to add to the tranny ect

anyways i got a car to go cut up and modify hope at least one of these idea's help you become a new /used subie owner :)

and ignore my idiotic rambling i use it to hide my true intelligence .... yeah right

Wow! That's pretty much the exact same thing as happened to me! Walkin home. saw an XT in some dude's yard. Mine also had an axle click, just got that repaired. I'd say take the plunge and buy it, especially at that price. A few simple mods and you've got a honda eater with Soob reliability. XT's Rule!:banana:

for $500 you really can't go wrong. I had an XT when I was 17 and it served me quite well. Women always liked the funky dash (digital) and the fact that it smoked hondas and vw's. :brow: If your folks give you any crap about it tell them it is very versitle too....you wouldn't believe all the crap I could get into mine with the back seat down (college).

Just watch your speed too....my biggest ticket came in one. 93 in a 55 that won't impress the folks....sure as heck made mine mad as heck.

Matt

Thats a good deal for an XT Turbo. I picked up an 88 XT6 for my friend about a year ago for $350......put in a used power steering pump, a radiator and 4 new tires. It only had 112K miles on it. Still running strong. I dont know if the XT Turbo is the same as the XT6 in terms of suspension but I have heard that if the air suspension goes out on an XT6 its a very expensive repair.

The only drawback to XT's are that parts are harder to come by. GL/DL models are a dime a dozen......the XT's are fairly rare. BTW.....I am refering to Junkyard availability. I imagine you can still find lots of new/aftermarket parts at many many places.