Ultimate Subaru Message Board

new member,diy front tow point

95monsterwagon

hey not sure where this gos, this is my first real post. i have a 95 legacy wagon and since the front tow hooks were cut off before i got the car, i have no possible front tow/recovery point that i can see. i was wondering about some aftermarket, or preferably DIY tow points? id like to know where to mount a platform , or some sort of bar for attaching shackles or hooks. i know a custom front bumper would be the best but i dont weld and im not rolling in cash. i dont mind going behind the bumper, but i dont know where its sturdy enough.

Cut off like in an accident? Or with a torch? I'd say it depends on how much metal is left where they used to be... good pics of the damaged area might help!

If welding isn't an option, and there's enough metal left, you might be able to drill holes for some large grade 8 bolts. I'd use no less than two 1/2'' fine thread bolts per hook. To these bolts you could attach some hooks off another vehicle, or some large shackle or eye that might be found at a hardware store, lowe's, home depot, etc. I'd get the biggest, most grossly overrated stuff you can find, something in the 1 to 2 ton range. Better safe than sorry. Good luck, and welcome!

Not sure, there's probably any number of creative ways to deploy the airbags.

I looked back and found the details....

Recall 98V315000: Unexpected Air Bag Deployment: Vehicle Description: Passenger vehicles. Inadvertent air bag deployment can occur after undercarriage contact of the tow hooks with curbs, dips, speedbumps, potholes, etc. Unexpected air bag deployment could result in personal injury. Dealers will castrate the front tow hooks. Owner notification began June 1, 1999.

no accidents or damage, just missing from the recall. under the front of my car there are two spots where you can see that the tow points were cut off. like you guys said, because people kept bumping stuff and setting off the airbags. now as much as i would love a tube bumper or something cool, i cant really afford it right now. in the future yes, but for now i was just wondering which part/area of the car up front would be best to attach some hooks or shackle mounts?

Not sure, there's probably any number of creative ways to deploy the airbags.

I looked back and found the details....

Recall 98V315000: Unexpected Air Bag Deployment: Vehicle Description: Passenger vehicles. Inadvertent air bag deployment can occur after undercarriage contact of the tow hooks with curbs, dips, speedbumps, potholes, etc. Unexpected air bag deployment could result in personal injury. Dealers will castrate the front tow hooks. Owner notification began June 1, 1999.

thanx, I never knew it was those underbody ones.

Yep, my friend's '95 impreza LX has the same thing. They didn't even paint over the fresh cut, so they're all rusted to hell.

We just welded some D-rings to the outside of the frame horns so he could get it dyno'd. They're very solid, but the bumper cover usually gets crunched when they get used as tow points.

matt id love to get your help on this one. when you do get your gear let me know and ill come down for sure. i was thinking of a bar or some of those d-rings attached to a bar or something on the front of the frame and in that case itll come right thru the bumper, thats ok with me... plus it looks real cool.