Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Internal Transmission Questions

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 greggbrat

greggbrat

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 263 posts
  • Denver Colorado

Posted 28 March 2004 - 11:07 AM

Would it be possible to:

1. put the 1st gear from a 1982 2nd generation Brat into a 3rd generation EA82 Wagon D/R Transmission?

2. put the 1st thru 5th gears of a 3rd generation 1987 Turbo RX into a 3rd generation EA82 Wagon D/R Transmission?

I am just looking at the possibilities of getting the lowest possible range out of a subaru transmission for the street driveability of larger tires and also off roading capabilities.

Thanks,
Gregg

#2 bleakhorizon

bleakhorizon

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Tillamook Oregon

Posted 29 March 2004 - 03:42 AM

easy answers

prob. not but maybe

And

yes

#3 greggbrat

greggbrat

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 263 posts
  • Denver Colorado

Posted 29 March 2004 - 09:11 AM

It would be really cool if I could do the following:

1. put 1st thru 4th gears from a manual RX tranny into the 2nd to 5th gear locations on an EA82 5sp D/R.

2. Find a granny gear at about a 6:1 range to replace the 1st gear. (dont know where to look for a granny gear)

Is this just wishful thinking? I have never looked into a manual tranny and dont really know the internal workings.........but this would make for a great rock crawling beast. Hopefully someone will tell me this is possible.

#4 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 20,280 posts
  • Portland

Posted 29 March 2004 - 09:39 AM

The RX tranny has a 1.2:1 low range.... and depending on if it has a diff lock or not, could be a Full-Time 4WD tranny... in which case it has a center diff package, and probably will be a bit different inside compared to the wagon tranny. The wagon tranny should be like 1.56:1 low range already - or something along those lines. You'll just have to rip into them to see what is interchangeable and what isn't.....

GD

#5 greggbrat

greggbrat

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 263 posts
  • Denver Colorado

Posted 29 March 2004 - 09:41 AM

But what about finding a 6:1 granny gear? That would be hardest part.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users