Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Fuel pump? Leaky o-ring? Other?

Ivans Imports - I'm hoping your diagnosis isn't correct from a $$ perspective, but it does seem to fit the symptoms. I've been failing in working out a plausible scenario where the o-ring would fail at lower gas levels.

Thanks - Jim

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

I do regular maintenance on the cars in April and Oct. so, one thing I did to day, was combine changing the fuel filter on the wife's 03 H6 OBW with installing a new , large-type cap and replacing the o-ring on the fuel pump.

here is another link to the youtube video with the best instructions; 2000 Subaru Outback Fuel Pump Assy - YouTube

a coupla notes on the above video;

I used a vacuum cleaner to police the area I was working to limit debris possibly getting in the tank.

Lower the windows/open the doors to reduce breathing fumes.

Be prepared for about 2-4 oz. of gasoline to come out of a coupla those hoses. If possible, thread a rag or 3-4 layers of paper towels under the hoses/cable before removing the hoses.

I used some twine to bundle the hoses and cable then threaded the twine up thru the driver's headrest post and pulled them up so they would be out of the way. Sorta replaced the use of the video author's wife's hands. Made it a one-man operation.

His fuel pump gasket came off with the pump. I didn't notice this before and had a more difficult time getting the pump out thru the gasket. So, make sure to free the gasket if it is stuck and carefully bring it out with the pump. Go slowly and carefully as it may be possible to break or bend something if you just 'horse' it outta there.

My original cap appears in great shape, the tabs do not appear to be cracked or bent. The o-ring was quite swollen however. I replaced the o-ring (lubed with a little oil) with the metric 928 Viton unit sent to me (thanx Dave L) and installed the new cap. I was careful not to rotate it too far as I think the 'bump/dimple' on the large tab is meant to stop the cap at the correct point. Forcing it farther would cause the bump to ride on top of the plastic lug and put outward force on the large tab.

so, still not sure if all these units are quite the 'ticking time bombs' I originally thought. The o-ring was definitely swollen so......

• 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...

Thanks to all who contributed to this post!

So glad I found this post. Subie has been sitting for over a month as she hasn't wanted to start. Tested everything I could think of to no avail. There is literally nothing wrong, just wont start. Pulled my fuel pump yesterday and found the broken cap and o-ring of doom. Ordered new cap and o-rings. ($66 bucks on Amazon) Hope to have it running again tomorrow afternoon. Can't wait to drive my girl again!

Broken cap:

image_zps3f1ec621.jpg

Edited by Beebs

Beebs, do you mind posting the part numbers that you ordered? Or links to the parts?

It would be helpful for other people with this problem so they can find parts easier. Thanks!

Sure thing! 

Cap Part # W0133-1617990-NPN

Amazon Link - http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dautomotive&field-keywords=W0133-1617990-NPN

O-Ring Part # 928-7210

Amazon Link - http://www.amazon.com/928-Viton-O-Ring-Durometer-Round/dp/B0051Y1TUK/ref=pd_sim_sbs_indust_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=0B16D6QFZFJNXPP9V4SD

Amazon states that these 2 parts are often purchased together and are a fit for 2000 OBW. We shall see in a few hours I hope.

Here are the part numbers on the packages:

O-rings

image_zps2b8e4531.jpg

Fuel Filter/Cap

image_zps9783a48a.jpg

Edited by Beebs

UPDATE!

:

New cap and o-ring installed. She fired right up like there was nothing ever wrong!

It was definitely a chore to "screw" the new cap on, but with some careful holding and a pair of channel locks, on it went. 

Here's the new deeper cap on the fuel pump assembly:

image_zps28b496e9.jpg

Edited by Beebs

• 1 month later...

I pulled the fuel assembly and removed the cap to look at the o-ring. It looks to be in good condition to me, but it seems somewhat oversized (diameter, as though it has been stretched out, not the thickness of the o-ring) and I'm having a h*^ll of a time getting it back together. I'm thinking I may as well buy a new o-ring and install it. The video I watched made putting the cap back on over the o-ring look incredibly easy.

Does this seem indicative of needing a new o-ring?

Thanks,

Jim

This was posted by user "jgvmt". He accidently clicked the report link button instead of reply.

Had the O ring problem with our '03 H 6. One of the tabs on the cap was partially cracked so the O ring squeezed out. Took it to a machine shop and they brazed it for $17.

While I was waiting for the shop to do that, I went to the dealer and bought a new O ring (about $30) and the cap for the filter attached to the pump starting in '04 (about $60). It's fits perfectly on the bayonet mount of the '03 pump.

I didn't buy the filter (I think it requires an additional O ring and still have the engine compartment filter in place).Kept the brazed cap as a spare.