Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Fuel pump? Leaky o-ring? Other?

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#26 1 Lucky Texan

1 Lucky Texan

I read a lot about Subarus

• Gold Subscribers
  • 4,938 posts
  • Texas

Posted 27 June 2012 - 09:37 AM

never heard or seen what that is. i'd rather do as little playing around inside the tank as possible unless there is a very compelling reason.

see timberwolf's posts here;

http://www.subaruout...html#post433651

#27 ivans imports

ivans imports

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 2,950 posts
  • lumby bc canada

Posted 27 June 2012 - 09:47 AM

pumps over heating when you put in gas it cools down change pump if was oring whould have low preshure through all ranges

#28 Jimbo67

Jimbo67

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Brighton, UT

Posted 28 June 2012 - 08:29 AM

Ivans Imports - I'm hoping your diagnosis isn't correct from a $$ perspective, but it does seem to fit the symptoms. I've been failing in working out a plausible scenario where the o-ring would fail at lower gas levels.

Thanks - Jim

#29 ivans imports

ivans imports

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 2,950 posts
  • lumby bc canada

Posted 28 June 2012 - 10:06 AM

the beck ardly pump i get from lordco is about 150 $ was not to bad

#30 Jimbo67

Jimbo67

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Brighton, UT

Posted 01 July 2012 - 08:47 AM

Thanks for the info on the pump..$150 seems reasonable. So far the car is running well, but I haven't really exposed it to higher temps with low fuel.

#31 1 Lucky Texan

1 Lucky Texan

• Gold Subscribers
  • 4,938 posts
  • Texas

Posted 08 August 2012 - 03:11 PM

the beck ardly pump i get from lordco is about 150 $ was not to bad

got a link? I couldn't find it at B-A's website.

the Airtex and Bosch assemblies are twice that price fro RockAuto.

#32 1 Lucky Texan

1 Lucky Texan

• Gold Subscribers
  • 4,938 posts
  • Texas

Posted 06 April 2013 - 04:10 PM

I do regular maintenance on the cars in April and Oct. so, one thing I did to day, was combine changing the fuel filter on the wife's 03 H6 OBW with installing a new , large-type cap and replacing the o-ring on the fuel pump.

here is another link to the youtube video with the best instructions; 2000 Subaru Outback Fuel Pump Assy - YouTube

a coupla notes on the above video;

I used a vacuum cleaner to police the area I was working to limit debris possibly getting in the tank.

Lower the windows/open the doors to reduce breathing fumes.

Be prepared for about 2-4 oz. of gasoline to come out of a coupla those hoses. If possible, thread a rag or 3-4 layers of paper towels under the hoses/cable before removing the hoses.

I used some twine to bundle the hoses and cable then threaded the twine up thru the driver's headrest post and pulled them up so they would be out of the way. Sorta replaced the use of the video author's wife's hands. Made it a one-man operation.

His fuel pump gasket came off with the pump. I didn't notice this before and had a more difficult time getting the pump out thru the gasket. So, make sure to free the gasket if it is stuck and carefully bring it out with the pump. Go slowly and carefully as it may be possible to break or bend something if you just 'horse' it outta there.

My original cap appears in great shape, the tabs do not appear to be cracked or bent. The o-ring was quite swollen however. I replaced the o-ring (lubed with a little oil) with the metric 928 Viton unit sent to me (thanx Dave L) and installed the new cap. I was careful not to rotate it too far as I think the 'bump/dimple' on the large tab is meant to stop the cap at the correct point. Forcing it farther would cause the bump to ride on top of the plastic lug and put outward force on the large tab.

so, still not sure if all these units are quite the 'ticking time bombs' I originally thought. The o-ring was definitely swollen so......

#33 CNY_Dave

CNY_Dave

03 LL Bean H6

• Members
  • 1,443 posts
  • Near Cortland NY

Posted 07 April 2013 - 12:42 PM

I am of the ilk that think the swelling o-ring breaks the cap, so I would say you dodged this bullet...

#34 1 Lucky Texan

1 Lucky Texan

• Gold Subscribers
  • 4,938 posts
  • Texas

Posted 07 April 2013 - 11:20 PM

it was very swollen. I was surprised.

I may take the cap in to work to look under a scope but, it looked good.

#35 1 Lucky Texan

1 Lucky Texan

• Gold Subscribers
  • 4,938 posts
  • Texas

Posted 28 June 2014 - 11:25 PM

anyone have access to TSBs?

Service Bulletin #09-38-03 'may' be related to the fuel pump failures and offer some part numbers for sub-divided fuel pump assembly components. Might be  able to order a dealer cap or ???

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users