Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2.2L into 88 GL Wagon?

I'm currently thinking of rebuilding my dead Subaru but I really don't want to spend the money and time to swap in another EA82 and have barely adequate power. I've thought about the EA82T but the lack of cheap turbo parts cars around Phoenix would make that an expensive proposition. Plus I'd be stuck with either a high mileage junkyard unit or a $$$ Jap motor.

I was wondering if anyone has ever swapped in a newer 2.2L instead. I'm pretty sure I can get a low mileage 2.2 for less then a Jap motor, and 130hp sounds about right for pushing bigger tires and camping gear up mountains. So I've done engine swaps before and I'm familiar with all the little issues that come up I'm just worried about the big ones. Will the 2.2 physically fit into the engine bay? Will the 2.2 physically bolt up to my dual range tranny? Are there any issues that make this swap impossible or impractical? Does anyone know about the interchangablitity of the clutches and accessories? I'd appreciate any help on the subject.

Thanks

Travis

I've seen that engine swapped into a Brat so it can be done...

I could be mistaken, but I think that the motor mounts will line up, but the tranny crossmember needs to be modified, or a custom one made. Plus you will need the wiring and computer for the engine. Would take some time but would DEFINATELY be worth it! 3000lbs of Legacy cruises nicely at 95 getting 26 MPG, so I imagine it would do real good pulling 2500lbs of GL...

I put an N/A EJ22 in my Loyal and then turboed it. They will fit into the engine bay with no problem but I had to make mounts out of a cross between EA82 mounts and EJ22 brackets. They will not bolt up to the stock tranny so you eaither have to use an EJ22 AWD tranny with modified mount or get an adapter to bolt the EJ22 to the EA82 tranny. I acctually welded an EJ22 bellhousing to an EA82 tranny so I could use the EJ22 clutch, not the easiest way to do it.

I think going with an EJ22 is the right way to go, 1/3 the oil leaks and no cracked heads.

They will not bolt up to the stock tranny so you either have to use an EJ22 AWD tranny with modified mount or get an adapter to bolt the EJ22 to the EA82 tranny. I actually welded an EJ22 bellhousing to an EA82 tranny so I could use the EJ22 clutch, not the easiest way to do it.

Do these adapters exist or would it be one-off? Do you have any pics of the welded bellhousing? How has the EA82 tranny handled the added power? I'd really like to keep my dual range tranny if possible. Any exhaust issues or is the same basic idea on the 2.2? Thanks for the info I've been researching all day and it looks like a good plan so far.

Travis

Check this out:

site1016.gif

Interesting reading can be found here:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=10307&highlight=rallyjusty

Thank you, thank you, thank you, that's exactly what I wanted. I searched but I didn't go back far enough. This swap looks pretty damn easy and everyone raves about the reliability of the 2.2l. I need to put together a price list and see if rebuilding the roo makes sense.

does the above setup use the ej22 flywheel and clutch?

also subafreak, how does the ea82 tranny take the power? can you drop the clutch and not break it?

see, this is what I want to do:

ej22 engine

whatever flywheel/clutch/adaptor combo that works best and fits best with the least amount of fabrication

ea82 5speed dual-range transmission

in an 84 bratGL

what do you think is best?

-AK

does the above setup use the ej22 flywheel and clutch?

also subafreak, how does the ea82 tranny take the power? can you drop the clutch and not break it?

see, this is what I want to do:

ej22 engine

whatever flywheel/clutch/adaptor combo that works best and fits best with the least amount of fabrication

ea82 5speed dual-range transmission

in an 84 bratGL

what do you think is best?

-AK

I too am curious about what the D/R trannies can hold up to. But having looked at the options today it seems the easiest solution would be to make an adapter and modify the EA82 flywheel like the rallyjusty fellow did. A good aftermarket clutch i.e; Centerforce should be able to handle the power of a N/A motor no problem. However if you decided to go turbo grafting on the entire bellhousing to run the larger clutch seems like a good idea. I'm not too concerned about blowing up the tranny, I don't do many power drops and they are plentiful in junkyard. I could always go AWD if I blow up too many. I'd love to hear from those with expirence though. I'm going to make some calls this week and see what I can find for a donor motor/car. A tweaked EJ22T would be sweet:banana:. I could see my wagon with 4 ATC paddles carving bowls at the dunes:cool:. That'd be worth the effort.

FYI looks like a EA82 clutch is 200mm and a EJ22 is 225mm. Centerforce make a dual friction for both applications. However it appears that the splines are different too. 24x1" for the EJ22 and 21x7/8" for the EA82. I'll have to do more research to confirm this.

Travis

now that I think about it it can handle the power, the guys on this board with modded ea82 turbos have more power than ej22's and are rough on them, no complaints about trannys breaking, xt6 engine is 145hp - 15 more than the ej.

turbo could be another story though...

so it looks like this is best:

ej22

ea82 clutch, modded flywheel, bellhousing mounted with adaptor

ea82 tranny

It was said that the added length of the adaptor may cause clearance problems? anybody know?

more questions to come :)

how long do you guys think it would take 1 maybe 2 people to put in a EJ22 and manual AWD tranny. i would rather do that then the d/r 5sp. i got a welder and stuff,

also, i would need the essencials, engine/tranny, ECM, wiring harness, and what else from a EJ car.

im going to do this rather then replace the motor in my wagon.

I don't know how long it would take, but you would have to make mounts for the engine tranny and rear diff. and hook up the ecu, adapt misc. stuff - probabaly a long time to do it.

use turbo coupe axles for the front, read it in another post. (for legacy tranny)

ok then, how much room is in the front with a 2.2 in it?

this adaptor moves it up only an 1/2" to 1 inch?

"Adapter--

Much much easier than I thought. I went to the local aluminium supplier, told him what I was building and he hooked me up with some BEAUTIFUL aluminium. The spacer should be 10 to 11mm, and the aluminium 1/2" thick, about 12.7mm. The difference in thickness is about 2.0mm. I don't see any problems. The adapter is already cut out. Making template and cutting out adapter, about 5 hours."

is the adaptor replacing the spacer or are they both going on together?

I had read on the message board here that the adaptor moves the engine foward an inch, and that may cause clearence problems in the front.

I just wanted to know wether the distance would cause the same problem in my brat.

"Adapter--

Much much easier than I thought. I went to the local aluminium supplier, told him what I was building and he hooked me up with some BEAUTIFUL aluminium. The spacer should be 10 to 11mm, and the aluminium 1/2" thick, about 12.7mm. The difference in thickness is about 2.0mm. I don't see any problems. The adapter is already cut out. Making template and cutting out adapter, about 5 hours."

sounds like the total length would be 23.7 mm, little over an inch.

If someone gets around to it, this might be a good project for the USRM. A bit extensive, maybe, but I wonder how many of us would be interested in slapping a newer/more powerful/etc. engine in our wagons. It's been one of those curiousities that's plagued me when I'm dreaming about the ultimate wagon I want to build :D