Ultimate Subaru Message Board

How to pull ignition lock cylinder?

How to pull a 96 Impreza lock cylinder from the ignition/steering column.

He can turn the ignition with a screw driver, but not the key....will that be enough to turn it and get the cylinder to release from the vehicle as well?

found this one:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=97295&highlight=lock+cylinder

how likely am i to be able to get something in this pin hole and get this out? it's a friends car and i'm hoping to help him out when we get together.

Edited by grossgary

You're trying to get the whole cylinder out?

You need to drill a hole in the edge of one of the dead eye bolts, and use a small punch to turn them out.

Alternately, if you have a small dremel, you can get in there and cut a slot and just use a screwdriver to wind them out.

picture below.

i use a reverse drill bitt to remove the headless screws
we're not talking about drilling the bolts, i've done that before. John has removed the lock cylinder before, it will slide out without drilling those bolts out. Edited by grossgary

is it this white thing in the orange box?

OHH, I see what you mean. You want to just pull the cylinder without pulling the whole assembly. I've actually rebuilt/rekeyed these before. It's pretty easy.

The part with the box in that picture is actually the nub that pushes the button to connect the signal for the door open beeper.

You're gonna have a hard time getting the lock cylinder out without removing the whole assembly from the car. You have to drill a small hole on the sides of the brass pins, and pop them out with the edge of a drill bit, or whatever. Then the cylinder slides out. Just JB weld the pins back in again. I've done this a few times, but never with the rest of the ignition attached to the steering column. With it in that orientation, it would be hard to get the ball bearing/spring back in for the steering wheel lock.

is it this white thing in the orange box?

no, it is the pin above that, next to the rivet. it sticks through the barrell/ housing side wall and ends flush. with the key cylinder turned slightly, enough to ''unlock'' it, you can press the pin in and the key cylinder will release and slide out. it will not press in unless the cylinder is turned and unlocked.

attachment.php?attachmentid=9942&d=1340305498

Edited by johnceggleston

Gary: The impreza and the forester are the same and the legacy/outback are the same. They have different lock cylinders. Unfortunately, the impreza does not have the pin you are looking for. It is put in with two dowels that are not meant for removal. The only way to remove the cylinder is to drill out the dowel and then you have to replace them. It is much easier to replace the assembly. If you need one, I think I have one with keys. He will have two keys for the same vehicle, but he won't have to use a screw driver.

Mike

Look at his old cylinder and I will bet you it doesn't look like the one he brought you. If they are not an exact match, you won't be abel to get the old one out and the new one in. I would check them for compatibility first. I am talking from my experience, but I may be incorrect. If they don't match let me know and I can hook you up with a replacement.

Mike

it looked really close, but there was like an outer black trim piece and it's surrounded by other stuff - hard to tell.

weird. his is a 1998 Impreza (01/97 manufacture date).

thanks mike. i'll see if he wants a used set. how much for the set?

how does 25 shipped to you sound?

I'll see what he says. Free labor, parts are up to him. Thanks, that is more than reasonable. Do you know if that ignition works with a screwdriver - he doesn't like that "feature" of this one, though the key still works fine. LOL

• 2 weeks later...