Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I found this by bouncing around on YouTube after watching Lucky Texan's clip. It seems that elsewhere it is also being marketed as a Toyota, what I find interesting is that they didn't mention it also being a Scion.

I think there are no Lexus in Japan, that line was created for US marketing reasons. Maybe Infiniti too?

I've often thought Subaru should do something similar - break out the 'Legacy' plate as a separate, 'upscale' line(Tribeca, Outbacks - and maybe a 'luxury' Forester and BRZ?) as a sorta Lexus-type maneuver. Run the name 'Subaru' for the Crosstrek, WRX/STI, maybe a downscale Forester and the other Imprezas. Then, bring over the R1s or design some FWD/Electric/maybe hybrid subcompacts and name them 'Fuji' (to compete with the Scion - type line of vehicles).

the reason, so I've read, that the Lexus line was created, was so folks didn't feel 'cheated' paying 35K for "a little Toyota". Japanese cars had the reputation of being small and cheap. Nobody wants to feel they paid Rolex money for a Timex watch.

There could have been a vehicle brought over from Japan or Europe with Toyota badges, or someone might have re-badged their Scion.

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan

I'm a car guy, a motorcycle guy, I'm on many forums. Own a Brat still and a Eagle Talon and a Lancia Scorpion and a Fiat X1/9...

My Mitsubishi buddies, most of them former 3000GT/Stealth owners, one friend in Pennsylvania (former Stealth TT owner) just traded in his Chevy Volt, and bought a BRZ and he LOVES IT! just needs more HP of course haha

I think there are no Lexus in Japan, that line was created for US marketing reasons. Maybe Infiniti too? ...

Well... mazda tried to Start marketing a Luxury Brand of their own, long years ago as far as I Remember it was "Amati"

~► http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amati_Cars

Subarus are marketed by their Model Name, not by their brand in Japan, so you read: "FORESTER" or "IMPREZA" instead of "SUBARU" on the same size & shaped letters in the vehicles Back.

Kind Regards.

• 4 weeks later...

Been chatting up a Scion dealer in Mesa about driving the FR-S. He seems game, but he keeps selling the manuals too quick. I wouldn't mind driving the auto just to get a feel of it...or is driving a Scionbaru sacriligious? Plus, pulling up in "Betty White" (my 88 GL Wagon) although she's in beautiful kit, might send up some po' folks red flags.

Edited by jeffx

I worked next door to a Subaru Dealership ( probably the worst Subaru Dealership in Seattle) And I had my Uniform on with my dealer logo, and pulled up in my 2nd Gen Legacy (which was lowered, had HID's and a system) but still looked quite respectable. and even though they had two BRZ's on the show room floor they refused to show me one.

Oh well.. I'll wait until my dealership gets one. Then I'll take it as a demo.

The BRZ already Came to Honduras! ... Well, Somehow: I was driving in a traffic Jam in front of the Local Toyota dealer the other night, and I was able to pull out my Cellphone and Shoot this Photo of their Showroom:

SubaruBRZinHonduras.jpg

Not a very clear photo ... that Black FT86 is already sold.

Kind Regards.

Edited by Loyale 2.7 Turbo

• 2 months later...

its a really great car, the toyota ft-86, subaru brz and the scion. all the same car but i think toyota made them and then branded them differently because most ppl are brand loyal, and since toyota owns scion and a part of subaru why not use the boxer engine then slap on a subaru badge :D seen a toyota ft-86 out here, only 1 on the island right now :popcorn:

its a really great car, the toyota ft-86, subaru brz and the scion. all the same car but i think toyota made them and then branded them differently because most ppl are brand loyal, and since toyota owns scion and a part of subaru why not use the boxer engine then slap on a subaru badge :D seen a toyota ft-86 out here, only 1 on the island right now :popcorn:

I don't think you have to guess much about "toyota" or who made them.

The cars were very much a joint venture between toyota and subaru engineers to come to the basis of what both(all 3 actually) cars are now).

Subaru was having a really hard time designing a car that wasn't AWD, but eventually they realized that for the goals of this small/light sports car the engine HAD to be mounted low and far enough back that front axles the way Subaru does them were not an option..

Team of Subaru and Toyota engineers designing the car. After the main chassis and engine (a Subaru boxer) were completed, yes the respective companies finished up things like styling and suspension spring-rates to their liking.

Car company collaborations nothing new, remember the Saabaru? That was a complete Subaru Impreza, sold 05 and 06 as a Saab 9-2X.

Edited by TajMan

• 4 months later...

BRZs indeed have Framed windows, as all new Subarus boo! I've seen a BRZ in person at the Subaru Show, and I'm not real impressed with the interior, its kinda blah. Not hating on it, but I kinda expected more! XT6 and SVX have nicer interiors and they're 20+ yrs old.

I don't think I would want a RWD Subaru :-p

Sorry dude, you are incorrect. BRZ are frameless:

brz13-door1.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I swear that I saw an FR-S this weekend with Toyota Badges on it. I am not delusional. I hopped in my car (I was the grocery) to follow it and it was gone.

I saw one yesterday too.  Toyota badges for sure.

I've seen actually a bunch of FR-Ss' and a few BRZs around town.  But this car was a different one.  It was black....with slightly differnet taillights and definately toyota badges.

No plates on it so I don't know where it came from.

Do they sell the toyota version in Canada?

• 1 month later...

I live in New Zealand and it was realeased here as a Toyota GT86 first, and has been available for 6 months-ish.  They have released the Subaru version now, but there is now so many Toyota badged variants on the road that Subaru are lacking in sales.  IMO they should have released the Subaru first, after all the only Toyota parts are the fuel injection and the gearbox...  Now all they have done is cost sales for the Subaru franchises.  This whole "Scion" thing is new to me in this part of the world too, something we don't have here.  Very interesting learning what it normal for you guys stateside...  Just as a point of interest, I think they look quite cool but it seems they are piloted by middle aged men and women who can't park let alone drive!  Oh dear.

Did you hear about the 70-something woman who bought one of the TRD specials? Crazy. I hope she enjoys it. Still, why not. Something more interesting than your usual Honda Jazz.

I reckon they look pretty cool too; my dad actually owns one. It was the ex-demonstrator from Balclutha. He got the base model 86 in white with an auto. Still pretty good though. Corners like you wouldn't believe. Not the fastest in a straight line, and the engine sounds pretty bad stock. Almost sounds like a diesel at times; probably something to do with the direct injection. Could definitely do with a better exhaust. And, the budget model only has an open diff.

• Like 1

Great! ... :D ... Photos Please, We Love Photos here.

Could you Describe you Experiences with the BRZ So Far?

Kind Regards.

Edit: I Found your Description:

~► http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/138572-my-breeze/

Thanks!

Edited by Loyale 2.7 Turbo