Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Horrible noise, tranny or CV?

My car's dead right now but when I last drove it it was making a horrible growling sound when decelerating. Accelerating or steady pace was fine but if I let off the gas or downshifted it would growl. I know my front CVs are a little dry so I'm hoping that's the problem. I checked the tranny fluid and it looks good with no visable metal floating around. Has anyone ever had this problem before? I'm thinking about rebuilding my car and don't want to get a new tranny too. It's an 88 dual range wagon BTW. Thanks

Travis

My car's dead right now but when I last drove it it was making a horrible growling sound when decelerating. Accelerating or steady pace was fine but if I let off the gas or downshifted it would growl. I know my front CVs are a little dry so I'm hoping that's the problem. I checked the tranny fluid and it looks good with no visable metal floating around. Has anyone ever had this problem before? I'm thinking about rebuilding my car and don't want to get a new tranny too. It's an 88 dual range wagon BTW. Thanks

Travis

Funny you should mention that.

I had the exact same symptoms for the last few months. Somehow my inner joint was leaking grease all over my tranny (and of course the exhaust..pee-oo!). I wasn't getting the usual CV noises, and since the shaft was recently installed, I ruled that out as the source of the noise and instead thought it was the tranny. Last week, I tore the outer boot on the same axle, and of course grease was flying around at that end of the shaft now, too.

I replaced the axle, and voila! The noise was gone (and no more flinging grease).

Not a guarantee that'll fix your problem, I was surprised it worked for me..good luck.

Funny you should mention that.

I had the exact same symptoms for the last few months. Somehow my inner joint was leaking grease all over my tranny (and of course the exhaust..pee-oo!). I wasn't getting the usual CV noises, and since the shaft was recently installed, I ruled that out as the source of the noise and instead thought it was the tranny. Last week, I tore the outer boot on the same axle, and of course grease was flying around at that end of the shaft now, too.

I replaced the axle, and voila! The noise was gone (and no more flinging grease).

Not a guarantee that'll fix your problem, I was surprised it worked for me..good luck.

Awesome thanks for the info. I'll take a chance and put the new motor up to the old tranny.