Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Airbag light is not manually reset. Evert time the car starts, it runs diagnostics and if it finds any fault, the light remains on.

You need someone to read the code for you to be certain what the problem is.

See the age of the car AND if it were NOT in an accident, I might ask if the horn or cruise ( if equipped ) work. Right around the 10-11 year mark, I see Clockspring/Rolled Coil failures. This is the flat wire coil assy that allows power to the steering wheel controls ( horn, cruise AND air bag module ) while allowing the steering wheel to be turned more than 360 degrees.

I need to know the procdure for reading the air bag codes myself. I dont want to have some one read them for me. It could be the clock spring or it could be from the accident.

I need to know where the SRS connector is and what to plug in to pins 1 and 2for the airbag light to flash the code.

• 1 month later...

I had a bad clock spring on a 98 forester. The air bag light was on and the cruise control did not work. I replaced the clock spring and all was better.

Maybe this helps you. Otherwise, I would have the codes read.

i've read the codes before, though i don't remember pin number and colors. not hard to find the connector/pin you need - google it for your year and model. the harness you need will be up under the dash somewhere like above the gas pedal-ish.

picture attached. this connector may be in your 98 forester and located above the go pedal, use one of the grounding pins with the connector on either pin 1 or 6, i'm not positive. i think it's pin 1...upper left if you're looking at the connector. if you're confused don't do what i do (hint hint)...just keep sticking it in pins until the air bag light comes on!

Edited by idosubaru